Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Now that the initial flush and excitement of the Illini hire has settled in, may I extend some caring and compassion to all you OK State fans out there. If anybody knows how you feel tonight, it is Illini fans. This feeling will pass. Hope you won't have to wait as long as we did to feel better. Now, back on the flush and excitement...

Agreed. If I were an Oklahoma State fan I would be VERY upset. :mad::frustrated:

In addition to the financial boost in his contract, Brad Underwood probably saw the added benefit of not having to buy any new ties.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Illinois named Brad Underwood its new basketball coach on Saturday, and the stunning hire was in some ways less important than the dynamics that brought it about. The school identified a widely respected tactician who was underpaid and unhappy because of that. It acted decisively, requiring just one week to fill a crucial vacancy. And it was apparently a cutthroat and cunning process that surely began before Underwood’s season was over at Oklahoma State. This is how big-boy departments operate. Welcome, Illinois, to college athletics. We’ve been expecting you for quite some time.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/18/illinois-fighting-illini-hires-brad-underwood

illiniCA

DC Area
Agreed. If I were an Oklahoma State fan I would be VERY upset. :mad::frustrated:

They are stuck now. I'm not sure how holder is going to be an attractive boss. I wouldn't be shocked if Doug campaigns and gets that job. Which would be a terrible move IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the national

the Front Range

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
What's the Henson connection?

Henson was head coach at Hardin-Simmons and Underwood was a graduate assistant there (20 years later). :chief:

the national beat me to it, albeit I posted the same thing a couple hours ago...

First things first, I'm excited for this hire and what Underwood will bring to the offense. It took me a minute to remember that I met the guy a few years ago. I saw Underwood coach for South Carolina up close (15 feet behind the bench) for three games at a tournament in Mexico that I volunteered at. The guy made Frank Martin look calm. While coaching, he is a jerk to the tenth degree. I really could not understand why anyone would want to play for SC under both of them, because their players got an earful after any mistake. Hopefully he's toned it down after leaving Frank Martin. I'm still excited about the hire, but be prepared for a total shift in personality than Groce.

I really think he'll get results, but he is intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like his Henson Connection. Somehow that gives me a lot of confidence that we are getting a good one. We never really got any sort of endorsement like that for Groce.

Henson and Groce had a great relationship and Lou often talked about his confidence in Groce. I believe the Henson's also invited John and family to stay at their house and Groce often mentioned how appreciative he was with the way Lou Henson welcome him at Illinois.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/illini-basketball/henson-impressed-with-groce

Stephen F Austin was one of the best.....

... teams to watch in the last couple of NCAA tournaments. I remember when they played WVU they did not back down one bit. WVU tries to bully teams. In fact, I would say that Huggins teams try to bully you. Even all the way back to his Cincy teams. The thing that I remember about that game was that SFA made WVU quit! The bully got punched in the mouth and they quit!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCJjC86AZas

whats the link to the OkSt. board? I want to read and enjoy

the national

the Front Range
Henson and Groce had a great relationship and Lou often talked about his confidence in Groce. I believe the Henson's also invited John and family to stay at their house and Groce often mentioned how appreciative he was with the way Lou Henson welcome him at Illinois.

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/illini-basketball/henson-impressed-with-groce

I suppose i meant before Groce was hired. You are correct in that they developed a warm relationship after he became coach. I don't was to disparage that.

And may I also extend my thanks to the Michigan University Mens Basketball Team for scoring just one more point than Oklahoma State did. This means that thousands of people in Illini Nation will actually be relaxing tonight and getting a good night sleep.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
my son is a Sr at oSu. They are stunned.

Imagine how we felt when Self left. Then double it.

whats ironic is UI is his second favorite team, as he was 100% all Illini until he got an academic scholly there and became 99% Cowboy, 1% Illini.

hes torn in that hes happy for me but mostly stunned.

Reading the OSU board just confirms this is a great hire. They are very fresh off of a first round exit, yet nothing but anger and disappointment that he's leaving. That speaks volumes, and I believe would not be true for many of our other "targets".

That said, our defense is going to be BAD next year. But I can live with 85-80 wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.