Brad Underwood Named Illini Basketball Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Anybody else hope Brad Underwood doesn't make a public appearance at tonight's game? Or at least do it during half time if it has to happen? Just feel like that would be a huge distraction to the team.

I agree. Not a good idea. Focus should be on the team and the game.

We just suspended usual University hiring procedures to announce the hiring of a winning Power Five coach at a salary that exceeds all but two other Big Ten schools (one, technically, since Crean got fired) in a process that closed in under a week, required no search committee, faculty advisory committee, search firm, or anything of the kind, and took place, it appears, on private jets zipping around the country and at various locales on the dime of our high-dollar boosters. Not even a whiff of it leaked until hours beforehand. And the coach is not a minority.

How many circa-2009ish hobby horses of Illini fans are crushed in that one paragraph?

We're still a loser for the time being, only winning cures that. But we're no longer a joke.

Needs to be pinned.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but I had a thought this afternoon after watching the presser....does anyone think that JW was pursuing Underwood last year but didn't have time/resources to make it happen?

I've noticed there seems to be a lot more film/video of BU coaching practices...I hope he does something like that here...I'd love to see him mic'ed up here and showing teaching moments.

Every ounce of Illini basketball I can get I'm gunna soak up.

I've noticed there seems to be a lot more film/video of BU coaching practices...I hope he does something like that here...I'd love to see him mic'ed up here and showing teaching moments.

He is very open about teaching his stuff. If you're connected to a school basketball program he'll send you his championship productions spread DVD for free.

Hell also send you diagrams for the offense and favorite quick hitters.

Lurker for days. Thanks to Matt Chalmers Swanson for the humor and sanity during the Coaching Search of 2017. My Dad was hoping for Kendall Gill. Or Efrem Winters . I think Whitman scored an upgrade.

Which coaches go to the Banquet at the end of the year? Do both JG & BU go as well as Ford, Walker, etc? Is it only for the coaches on staff or any coach that has been associated with the team throughout the year? Seems like it could be extremely awkward.

MrOizo

Chicago

This is a big complaint I have from the Groce era. Everything seemed so closed off. No insights at all into practices etc. Since what was happening in those practices lead to failure, I have to imagine that it was a somewhat defensive move.

Also, it reminds me of the culture change that is happening... It's a big change for sure. I love it, but some won't.

For the record, Groce is a "manage perception" guy. I like Groce, but my least favorite people to deal with, especially professionally, are those that constantly manage message/perception. Thank goodness for this culture change.

Last edited:
Honey BU BU. 👍

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

hbb_zpsviifbmh6.gif

Been browsing on an OSU board and it is pretty funny watching the meltdown. Some hilarious and delusional comments over there. This one is one of my favorites:

"Underwood is going to be a flop there. He won't have the NBA talent he could get from a school likes of OSU. Evans saved his !!! many of times. I think he could of succeeded here but he chose to leave for a trap job. Illini fans talk crap about Stillwater LMFAO. Illinois is 3 hrs from a big city and is competing in a very competitive market where most athletes would rather go to a big time program like Duke or KU out of Chicago. They know they will be showcased for the NBA and are not 200 miles from a decent size city for fan support. Illinois was hard for Bruce Webber and bill self. Self was smart enough to leave before anything bad."

They're fans just like we are and entitled to their meltdown. BU didn't say so much as 'bye' to his fans or players (that I'm aware). Bill Self wasn't so long ago that I've forgotten how that felt and it wasn't 'pretty funny'.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Been browsing on an OSU board and it is pretty funny watching the meltdown. Some hilarious and delusional comments over there. This one is one of my favorites:

"Underwood is going to be a flop there. He won't have the NBA talent he could get from a school likes of OSU. Evans saved his !!! many of times. I think he could of succeeded here but he chose to leave for a trap job. Illini fans talk crap about Stillwater LMFAO. Illinois is 3 hrs from a big city and is competing in a very competitive market where most athletes would rather go to a big time program like Duke or KU out of Chicago. They know they will be showcased for the NBA and are not 200 miles from a decent size city for fan support. Illinois was hard for Bruce Webber and bill self. Self was smart enough to leave before anything bad."
3 hours from a big city? Maybe if you're taking the Amtrak!

So, you're saying an A+ is good? Wow, did I overreact when I first saw this hire! I was underwhelmed but everything points to big-time success.

Agree I think it took me a day or two to realize this was the best possible hire. We just expected so many different names, but this one destroyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.