Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
There's no cohesiveness to this offense once the scripted plays are over. This offense kind of sucks to be honest.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
So far the bears have 192 yards of offense and Seahawks have 79. And another special teams penalty on bears.

Well the stage seems to be set. This team has a young core and is ready to win. The off seasons of complete overhauls and needing guys at almost every position seems to be over for the next few years at least. Making the right tinkers can make this team great.

BUT WE NEED A QUARTERBACK. How long will they let Trubisky develop?

Week 2 of year 2 and first year with an offensive mastermind is way too early to say “he’s not the guy”. I’m excited to watch him grow but if we are too patient the window of opportunity could close quickly.

Good win. The defense has a chance to be special.

I was not impressed with Trubisky. Look at the QBs picked in the top 5 over the last decade and what their second years have looked like statistically. (Or for that matter, look at the other two 1st round picks from Trubisky’s draft year.) There’s a pretty clear delineation between guys who “make it” and guys who don’t. Thus far, Trubisky looks to be on the wrong side of that ledger.

There’s certainly plenty of time for Trubisky to improve this year, and the defense looks like it’s going to be good enough to weather some growing pains. If Trubisky is who the Bears think he is, he should improve by leaps and bounds over the course of the year. If he still looks like this come week 16, then “uh-oh.”

Good win. The defense has a chance to be special.

I was not impressed with Trubisky. Look at the QBs picked in the top 5 over the last decade and what their second years have looked like statistically. (Or for that matter, look at the other two 1st round picks from Trubisky’s draft year.) There’s a pretty clear delineation between guys who “make it” and guys who don’t. Thus far, Trubisky looks to be on the wrong side of that ledger.

There’s certainly plenty of time for Trubisky to improve this year, and the defense looks like it’s going to be good enough to weather some growing pains. If Trubisky is who the Bears think he is, he should improve by leaps and bounds over the course of the year. If he still looks like this come week 16, then “uh-oh.”

Trubisky went 25/34 for 200 yeards 2 td/2 and a 83 QB rating yesterday in his 14th start.
Wentz went 22/42 for 170; 0/1 for 52.7 in his 14th start
Goff went 11/21 for 124; 1/0 for 86.2.

Wentz and Goff both are pro bowl level QBs that were drafted top 5.

Trubisky went 25/34 for 200 yeards 2 td/2 and a 83 QB rating yesterday in his 14th start.
Wentz went 22/42 for 170; 0/1 for 52.7 in his 14th start
Goff went 11/21 for 124; 1/0 for 86.2.

Wentz and Goff both are pro bowl level QBs that were drafted top 5.

Year 2 would be the apples-to-apples comparison. Both Wentz and Goff were outstanding in 2017 in their second years after mixed (Wentz) to poor (Goff) opening years.

Trubisky has been frankly pretty bad so far this year. Young guy, not a lot of experience, new offense, new recievers, etc, but you've gotta throw strikes and he hasn't.

Trubisky has plenty of things to work out, but the talent is there. He seems too confident in his arm. Maybe it's his coach brown nosing him so much to the press, but there were a lot of dubious throws, some much worse than that second pick. He got lucky his INT total wasn't pushing 4.

There's a lot of season left, but he's going to need to show he can make good decisions if he's ever going to be compared to Wentz or Goff.

Year 2 would be the apples-to-apples comparison. Both Wentz and Goff were outstanding in 2017 in their second years after mixed (Wentz) to poor (Goff) opening years.

Trubisky has been frankly pretty bad so far this year. Young guy, not a lot of experience, new offense, new recievers, etc, but you've gotta throw strikes and he hasn't.

That was year 2 for Goff, much later in year 2 as well.
I'm not saying he's going to be an All-pro this year, just that this notion that "all the good qbs were showing it at this point" is simply not true.
Rodgers was still riding the bench in year 2.

That was year 2 for Goff, much later in year 2 as well.
I'm not saying he's going to be an All-pro this year, just that this notion that "all the good qbs were showing it at this point" is simply not true.
Rodgers was still riding the bench in year 2.

The thing we need to concern ourselves with is not whether Trubisky will be a superstar (a longer-term question), but whether he's a total bust who will be out of the league in 3 years. Because this team is in a position to have a lot of success if he can just be literally like Blake Bortles or even Ryan Tannehill.

He's been below that level thusfar. And if he's Jake Locker he's gonna get everybody fired.

I don't say this intending a tone of "he sucks, time to give up", I say it as "you can do literally everything else right in the 2018 NFL and a poor QB will still sink you, the QB matters more than everyone else put together"

ILL in IA

Iowa City
It's really easy to compare Mitch to recent QBs in year 2 of their pro careers, and the other guys in his draft class. But I don't think its a fare comp yet. You really need to consider how much football Mitch actually played in college compared to those guys, and the development he received under a garbage coaching staff last year. Fault the Bears for undervaluing the guys they skipped to trade up and get Mitch, that's fine. But he is a very raw talent that is really early in his development right now. I think you need to wait till the end of this season to start to form some judgment on him and what he may or may not be.

I would like to see them draft another QB if there is one they like. Nagy has praised Trubisky but you have to wonder if he would've drafted him. We'll never know.

But if Nagy is so good with QB's then let him go out and hand pick his own guy. If Trubisky improves the great. If not then next man up.

I would like to see them draft another QB if there is one they like. Nagy has praised Trubisky but you have to wonder if he would've drafted him. We'll never know.

But if Nagy is so good with QB's then let him go out and hand pick his own guy. If Trubisky improves the great. If not then next man up.

The Bears next first round pick is in 2021.

You really need to consider how much football Mitch actually played in college compared to those guys, and the development he received under a garbage coaching staff last year.

As for a bad development environment for a QB, you won't do much worse than Goff playing Jeff Fisher's anti-football as a rookie.

And the statement about Trubisky's limited college experience is an accurate collection of words, but what relevance it has remains an open question. The only other highly drafted QB's I can recall who were only one-year starters in college were Mark Sanchez and Cam Newton (who also started a year at Juco). Both players were, for better or worse, basically what they were to become right away.

Maybe Trubisky's struggles aren't soon-to-pass growing pains but evidence that drafting QB's without college experience is a mistake? It's just as possible.

Sometimes the truth does not lend itself to narrative weaving, optimistic or pessimistic. Trubisky has been bad, he needs to get better, if for no other reason than sheer lack of options he's going to get an extensive chance to get better, and that's where we are. The future has yet to be written.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
If we are trying to find something concrete to point to that tells us one way or another what Trubisky is going to become, let me know if we find it. We can make a ton of money and be really successful working in some teams front office.

But from all reports, MT is a guy that understands and has adapted to being a professional QB. Point being, he puts in the hard work and is truly working on his craft. He isn't Jamarcus Russel.

So it will come down to can he put it all together. Everyone said he was raw coming out of college. We knew he would need to be developed. We didn't have a staff to develop him, and I am of the belief that Fox and the OC we had last year are just as bad in what they did to MT as Jeff Fisher did to Goff. Like it or not, this is rookie year 2.0 for him. Blame the general manager for that, but the kid needs time.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL

Seconding what Second and Chalmers posted, the Bears are really no longer in a position to add a highly touted qb through the draft, or anything else for that matter. This roster is your Bears for the foreseeable future. This is the bag that Pace has put all of his marbles in, that he will sink or swim with. Mack was the last piece of the puzzle. There will certainly be additions and subtractions around the edges, but this is basically it.

As far as last night's game went, I've always been a believer that winning games in the NFL is very difficult, and there are no style points. I give them credit for winning last night against a team they were clearly better than. Its amazing how statistically even the game ended up being in terms of yardage and such considering how the Bears dominated much of the game. That just shows how hard it is to blow teams out in the league. I am concerned about the productivity of the offense as they've been under 300 yards both games so far. They still don't seem to have much of a downfield threat so teams are playing 9-10 guys within 7-8 yards of the line of scrimmage against them. Opponents are stuffing the run and all of the Bears' passing plays are short and intermediate stuff. As far as Trubitsky goes, I was hoping he would be farther along at this point but its way too early to give up on him. If he doesn't end up being the man the Bears are in huge trouble.

I refuse to even begin to come to conclusions about how Trubisky will be as a pro player, but I dont think expectations have been exceedingly high. Sure new offenses are hard on QB's, so maybe this is partly on Nagy pushing too much on Trubisky too soon. Thing is, if he isn't grasping concepts well enough, then things need to be simplified--for now.

Nobody has expected him to come in and be a game changer--yet. But I will argue he has been a bottom 25% QB to start the season. His decision making and accuracy have been in that same percentile. Either he needs more time to develop and they need to give him easier reads, or he needs to learn to be less reckless. I'm all for being aggressive, but theres a reason A LOT of interceptions come from back footed throws. Just cause you have a strong arm doesn't mean you should chuck it 30 yards falling backwards.

There's plenty of reason for hope, and even more time for him to settle into being at least a middle tier QB, but expecting him to at least reel back the int's doesn't sound like a stretch. The defense is legit. An offense that has a workhorse like Howard doesn't need a gunslinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.