Chicago Cubs 2018 Season

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Shocking no one.

My understanding is that because Grimm’s salary was set in arbitration, it’s not guaranteed. Which sucks for him.

I think he gets something like 500k of his salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Shocking no one.

My understanding is that because Grimm’s salary was set in arbitration, it’s not guaranteed. Which sucks for him.

as much as I don't feel bad for the owners, I refuse to feel bad for MLB or NBA players with all the guaranteed money in those leagues

Grimm was grimm, often abysmal. He should watch some East Bound and Down and get ready to coach Phys Ed.

as much as I don't feel bad for the owners, I refuse to feel bad for MLB or NBA players with all the guaranteed money in those leagues

Grimm was grimm, often abysmal. He should watch some East Bound and Down and get ready to coach Phys Ed.

He did pitch in some big moments over the years. These come to mind:

[YOUTUBE]_N3nJ_mOplw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Rwb9IaVfSJo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Looks like Happ will lead off when he plays...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In roster-related news, Maddon stated they will go with an 8-person bullpen and Caratini has won the backup catcher position over Gimenez.

In roster-related news, Maddon stated they will go with an 8-person bullpen and Caratini has won the backup catcher position over Gimenez.

Surprised, but pleased with the Caratini choice. I think he's going to be a pretty good player, but I thought they were angling to trade him and that crushing every day in AAA would have made him a more valuable trade asset.

He's a switch hitter who will give them a bit more pop off the bench when he's not catching.

Don't know who the 8th guy out of the pen is going to be since Grimm was released...

1. Morrow
2. Edwards
3. Cisheck
4. Wilson
5. Strop
6. Montgomery
7. Duensing
8. ...

Butler? I think he's out of options, but he hasn't pitched out of the pen much in his career. He's been decent (in results, if not peripherals) when healthy at both Iowa and Chicago since coming to the Cubs and probably wouldn't slip through waivers.

Kyle Ryan and Anthony Bass are depth relievers that had nice springs. Ryan had a pretty good 2016 with the Tigers.

I think the most encouraging thing about yesterday was that Heyward hit three balls very hard. A double, a shot to the gap one of the Marlins outfielders made a nice play on, and he took a ball the other way against the shift that went just foul.

I think the most encouraging thing about yesterday was that Heyward hit three balls very hard. A double, a shot to the gap one of the Marlins outfielders made a nice play on, and he took a ball the other way against the shift that went just foul.

Still hoping for a monster year out of him, mostly because I want him to opt out, but also because I think he's very close to becoming at least an average hitter.

2017 viewed in isolation could just look like a down year for Heyward if 2016 hadn't been such an unmitigated disaster.

He doesn't put much launch into the ball. So he's uniquely unsuited to take advantage of the juiced ball of the last year and a half. So, even if he does get his numbers back up to the .780-ish OPS of his first 6 years in the League, that's going to still look pretty average next to the much inflated slugging numbers of the last couple years.

Still, if he can give you a league average OPS (about .780), that should be good for about 2.0 oWAR, which would probably make him about a 3.5 WAR player factoring in his continued gold-glove defense. Figuring $8M a win (which might be kind of low - probably closer to $9M, now), that would make him worth what the Cubs are paying him.

Point is, he doesn't have to destroy the ball to be worth the money. He just has to be ok at the plate. He was verging on ok in 2017.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Three games into the season, I'm not going to worry much about it.

pretty much true

hitting often comes around slower than pitching, but we are starting the season in Miami, so hitting can be a tad better than we are used to seeing , partly due to warmer temps.

We know what Lester-Hendricks-Darvish-Quintana can do. They should pretty much repeat their history over the course of the season. I wouldn't be concerned unless this series' openers for Lester & Darvish are repeated 3 or 4 times the next 5 weeks

7 for 47 (.149) with RISP for the series. That will make any team look underwhelming.

They had traffic on the basepaths constantly and couldn't come through often enough.