Chicago Cubs 2020 Season

That would be nice but I bet that the contract will prohibit them from doing that

My prediction:

While the roster is at 30, he can basically be buried at the back of the pen and allowed to regain trust in low-leverage situations. If he can’t do that by the time rosters shrink down to 26, he’ll be “hurt” and sent away to “rehab” for most of the rest of the season, maybe making some low leverage appearances as the season winds down. He’ll then get a chance to make the roster again next spring. When he doesn’t, he’ll be dfa’d.

But I think his brief stint as Cubs closer is effectively over. You can’t look at last night and say, “Small sample size.”

On the plus side, the additions of Souza and Kipnis plus “full” seasons from Hoerner and Happ make the back end of the lineup and bench seem deeper and more versatile. The team has thunder up and down the lineup and should score runs.

The starts from Lester and Chatwood are very encouraging. Looking forward to getting an extended look at Mills. This is his chance to make a bid for a rotation spot next year.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
My prediction:

While the roster is at 30, he can basically be buried at the back of the pen and allowed to regain trust in low-leverage situations. If he can’t do that by the time rosters shrink down to 26, he’ll be “hurt” and sent away to “rehab” for most of the rest of the season, maybe making some low leverage appearances as the season winds down. He’ll then get a chance to make the roster again next spring. When he doesn’t, he’ll be dfa’d.

But I think his brief stint as Cubs closer is effectively over. You can’t look at last night and say, “Small sample size.”

I could see this scenario playing out.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Considering what's happening with Miami and with the Yankees-Phillies series I'll be surprised if the season isn't suspended or cancelled in the next week or so.

[ W ] #4

Javy! Javy!

giphy.gif

bdutts

Houston, Texas
The replay shows it hitting the ground before going into KB's mitt. Kind of surprised the Reds did not challenge.
In other "news", the bullpen is still a complete dumpster fire

no one in the bullpen can get anyone out...

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Fun fact: when I was 13, I started a triple play. If I thought about it at the time, I most likely could have turned an unassisted triple play. Guys on first and second and I was playing 2nd base, playing very close to the bag. Line drive right at me, I caught it, stepped on second and threw to first. The runner on first was probably four steps from me when I threw to first so I could have run him down for the tag. Ah well, we still got the triple play and it still is cool.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
The replay shows it hitting the ground before going into KB's mitt. Kind of surprised the Reds did not challenge.
In other "news", the bullpen is still a complete dumpster fire
The announcers said in the next inning that catch/trap calls are not reviewable in the infield. Can't find it mentioned in the rules, but here's what Wikipedia says about it.
The following plays will be reviewable under the system:

• Ground-rule doubles
  • Fan interference calls
  • Boundary calls (managers may not, however, challenge home run or potential home run calls)
  • Force plays at all bases, except whether a middle infielder touched second base during the attempt to "turn" a double play
  • Tag plays on the base paths—whether a runner was tagged or whether the runner touched a base (an appeal is still required ahead of the latter)
  • Fair/foul calls on balls hit into the outfield
  • Catch/trap calls on balls hit into the outfield
  • Time plays (whether or not a run scored prior to the third out)
  • Whether a runner passed a preceding runner
  • Scorekeeping issues, including the count, number of outs, score or substitutions
Judgment calls not specified above, including, but not limited to, pitches called ball or strike, obstruction, interference, the infield fly rule, and checked swings are not reviewable.

I get we're only 6 games in, but that's a tenth of this season. I'd imagine after today we see at least a couple arms move.

Hard to expect our starting 5 to give us the kind of performances they did the first time through the rest of the year. I think the shortness of this year gives teams in the Cubs position (i.e. probably a team with a talent level in the 5-15 range of baseball) a much higher chance of making a WS than usual. Not saying we should sell off all our top prospects just to sneak in, but burning a few options on younger guys seems like a better idea now than in most seasons, especially given the awfulness of our BP.