D-1 Hockey at Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
PleasePleasePleasePleasePlease!!!

Spent a year in Ann Arbor and went to a couple Michigan hockey games. Also been to a few Denver U games out here. College hockey is awesome, would immediately be the third best sporting event in Champaign. Big Ten Hockey would quickly become must watch entertainment in our house, the potential here is huge.

It would take several years to come to fruition if they decided to do it but you're right the fan interest is there.

I would love it if they added hockey, and I'm not even a really big Hockey fan.

I would be more interested to know what that means for a possible expansion into Men's soccer as I think long-term that one has some pretty decent growth opportunities.

Fun times!

breadman

Herndon, VA
The hockey club, back in the day, asked the band department if they would consider putting a band together to play for the hockey games. Similar to the basketball band. Well, we did. I even won a chance to hit the puck past the "goalie" during one of the intermissions. I missed badly. Always thought about why there was never any push towards a scholarship-based organization. Hope this leads to that.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
The Hockey Club was fun back in the 80's. I don't know if they still play or not.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Memorial stadium renovation got put in hold, I wonder where that money is going. Hmmm, interesting...

I was a freshman in 07 and they went undefeated and won the club national championship. Games were very fun.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
it could happen if there was a significant amount of donor interest , with pledges that would come in if it were to be a go.

U of I BigTen College hockey has the potential to be at least a money neutral sport. The womens hockey team (or womens LAX if that is how it went) would be what would cost money, but if you add 15-20 schollies for men, you need to add the same for women

Mens soccer will always be a money loser. No real fan interest at games and none on TV. Then add in the womens sport you need to add and its a tough sell.

But B10 Network has a chance to get some serious fan interest on TV if they could add UI and another school , be it NU or even ND as an adjunct member. If you are adding adjunct members, add Arizona St and let the B10 teams and fans have one fun road trip. Get the league up to 8 or 10, and you can get past critical mass

But B10 Network has a chance to get some serious fan interest on TV if they could add UI and another school , be it NU or even ND as an adjunct member. If you are adding adjunct members, add Arizona St and let the B10 teams and fans have one fun road trip. Get the league up to 8 or 10, and you can get past critical mass

They don't need to add any teams. They already have enough to be a conference and Notre Dame is already an affiliate member. They considered adding ASU, but decided against that because of travel concerns.

Serious Late

With infinite dollars? Penn State had to spend $90+ million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penn State spent $90+ Million. That is different than saying Penn State had to spend $90+ million. It will definitely require an investment, but:

The Big Ten wants Big Ten Network draws. Hockey is the biggest potential draw outside football and basketball. Illinois is clearly very interested in having hockey as a varsity sport. There was a just announced delay in the upgrade of Memorial Stadium.

I don't know what the combination of factors from the conference, the school and the community will result in this happening, but there is more than enough smoke and chatter on the topic to suggest it is is not impossible and will not require "infinite dollars".

Last edited:
it could happen if there was a significant amount of donor interest , with pledges that would come in if it were to be a go.

U of I BigTen College hockey has the potential to be at least a money neutral sport. The womens hockey team (or womens LAX if that is how it went) would be what would cost money, but if you add y15-20 schollies for men, you need to add the same for women

Mens soccer will always be a money loser. No real fan interest at games and none on TV. Then add in the womens sport you need to add and its a tough sell.

I think the Big Ten might be Interested in adding BOTH men's and women's LAX. Not a money maker granted but only 12.75 scholarships for men (not sure for women). Hockey at best is money neutral as stated, but likely a money loser. Big ten network could use the spring programming lax provides, hockey might interfere with basketball despite its popularity.

And most importantly for numbers, hockey would have to add both men and women's hockey for Title IX reasons.

For the record, I love both sports, but would rather see lax added first. JMHO

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
I think the Big Ten might be Interested in adding BOTH men's and women's LAX. Not a money maker granted but only 12.75 scholarships for men (not sure for women). Hockey at best is money neutral as stated, but likely a money loser. Big ten network could use the spring programming lax provides, hockey might interfere with basketball despite its popularity.

And most importantly for numbers, hockey would have to add both men and women's hockey for Title IX reasons.

For the record, I love both sports, but would rather see lax added first. JMHO

I would love to see Illinois add men's and women's LAX. Having lived in the northeast for a long time, I've enjoyed watching my kids play it and watching college lacrosse. 2 B1G team made the final 4 and with Maryland winning both the men's and women's titles this year. But D1 hockey at UI would be awesome too.

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
Penn State spent $90+ Million. That is different than saying Penn State had to spend $90+ million. It will definitely require an investment, but:

The Big Ten wants Big Ten Network draws. Hockey is the biggest potential draw outside football and basketball. Illinois is clearly very interested in having hockey as a varsity sport. There was a just announced delay in the upgrade of Memorial Stadium.

I don't know what the combination of factors from the conference, the school and the community will result in this happening, but there is more than enough smoke and chatter on the topic to suggest it is is not impossible and will not require "infinite dollars".

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hockey-isnt-happening-for-the-hawkeyes-20160623

I was looking for another story that walked through the numbers as to why PSU spent what they did. It really wasn't attributable to the luxurious nature of their facility, but that was part of it. The need to balance men/women scholarships in college without a reasonable accommodation or adjustment for the obscene amount of football scholarships is a huge obstacle.

I would love to see it happen, but it will be very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I know it was stated that you don't need to add another team outside of Illinois, but it looks like Iowa City will be building a ice arena/concert venue soon (state funded). If that is built I'm sure it would be a push for Iowa to add hockey.

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
It makes sense for the NHL to sponsor college hockey. With college hockey, you have an automatic built-in fan base which might not be hockey fans, but if their school had it, they might learn to like hockey, which would only be good for the NHL.

Of course, the NHL teams already have "farm clubs". But then, major league baseball has its whole farm system, and college baseball coexists with that.

Back in the day-the latter part of the 60s-my girlfriend and I liked going to hockey games, and I presume that using the same rank now as then, and man was it cold. But it was cheap entertainment, and fun. It only cost $.50, if I recall correctly, for admission, and we had to sit reeeeal close to stay warm, and then there was warming up afterwards. I'm not sure whether she married me because of or in spite of. :D

Serious Late

IlliniSox

Minneapolis, MN
If D-1 hockey happens for Illinois, would love to see them stay in the Ice Arena and just renovate it, rather than build a new arena (too expensive) or play in the SFC (too big).

From what I remember, the atmosphere at the hockey games back in my day (2001-ish) was amazing. Would be great to keep that going at the D-1 level. The big rival back then was Iowa State....who even brought their cheerleaders! Does anyone know if they still have a club team, or if they moved to D-1?

I saw there are renovations going on now at the Ice Arena, but they look to be small in scale (replacing the refrigeration system).

Status
Not open for further replies.