D-1 Hockey at Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If D-1 hockey happens for Illinois, would love to see them stay in the Ice Arena and just renovate it, rather than build a new arena (too expensive) or play in the SFC (too big).

From what I remember, the atmosphere at the hockey games back in my day (2001-ish) was amazing. Would be great to keep that going at the D-1 level. The big rival back then was Iowa State....who even brought their cheerleaders! Does anyone know if they still have a club team, or if they moved to D-1?

I saw there are renovations going on now at the Ice Arena, but they look to be small in scale (replacing the refrigeration system).

Michigan has remodeled Yost once or twice. Not the ideal venue, they could afford to build a new arena, but the atmosphere is pretty good cool for college hockey.

I agree with you, renovate the ice arena if at all possible. Parking would be terrible, but students more likely to attend than if down near the baseball area, which is where I assume they would build a new arena.

Illini Hockey is still around. They are a Division 1 ACHA (http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/home-page-946) program, and are a national powerhouse at that level. They won the national championship twice in 04-05 and 07-08.

There are only about 60 D1 NCAA programs, and no DII. There are a lot of DIII, but the top of the ACHA is fairly comparable to NCAA DIII.

So despite being a club program, Illini Hockey is probably a top 100 collegiate hockey program in the nation.

Website here: http://illinihockey.pointstreaksites.com/view/illinihockey

If D-1 hockey happens for Illinois, would love to see them stay in the Ice Arena and just renovate it, rather than build a new arena (too expensive) or play in the SFC (too big).

From what I remember, the atmosphere at the hockey games back in my day (2001-ish) was amazing. Would be great to keep that going at the D-1 level.

I've been going to games there for the last ~10 years or so, and I agree -- it's a great atmosphere. However, it would never work for D1.

There are 6 B1G D1 hockey teams right now. Average per-game attendance for 2016-2017 for those teams was 6,981. I believe that the Ice Arena can hold about 1,200 people (not counting standing room). I don't think that expanding it to hold 6x as many people would be possible, especially given that it's an old building (1931), not to mention that the location makes it difficult to provide that amount of parking, etc.

The SFC wouldn't be *too* crazy; it'd be half-full with the average B1G attendance. However, I think that the scheduling challenges, and the cost of maintaining an ice sheet while also having other sports would become prohibitive. Not to mention that the team would need a different venue for practices, then.

The way I see it, I think they need a new building, south of Florida.

Dan

Admin
The #Illini will partner with the @NHL and @NHLPA to evaluate the possible addition of hockey as a varsity sport.

The University of Illinois will partner with the National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players Association (NHLPA) to evaluate the possible addition of hockey as a varsity sport. In an effort to support the growth of collegiate hockey, the NHL and NHLPA will fund feasibility studies exploring the potential of adding NCAA Division I men's and women's hockey programs at five institutions across the United States. Illinois is the first university to participate in the study..

"The idea of varsity hockey at the University of Illinois has great appeal," said Whitman.

http://fightingillini.com/news/2017...l-included-in-hockey-study-funded-by-nhl.aspx

Whitman is a stud Manager. Like his and Theo Epstein approach to making significant changes to win now

riffraff

Peoria

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Stating the obvious, but someone's (or a group is) going to have to pony up a big chunk of change to make it happen. I'd love it. Chicago and St. Louis are hockey hotbeds: lots of talent there. And the BIG is tailor made, big time D1 hockey. Very glad they're looking seriously into this, but not ready to start celebrating yet.

Deleted member 3875

D
Bring Bobby "Tora-Tora-Tora" Torkar in as head coach.

Thanks for sharing!

Question though, if this new arena were to happen, wouldn't the university, specifically the DIA lose some control, and therefore revenue, by not building their own arena on campus? I get you lessen some financial risk if hockey doesn't happen or is not successful, but the potential loss of revenue, i.e. paying rent, vs utilizing or leveraging your own venue for other events including camps, seems like a bad investment.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
More info here...
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2017-07-18/new-arena-downtown-champaign.html

"The MTD board will get its first look at the plan later this month while the Champaign City Council will review the proposal at its Aug. 22 meeting. Officials from the MTD and the city are expected at this morning's announcement of the details of the new development, but not the UI's Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.

The DIA has not committed to the project but officials there are "intrigued" by the idea, said Champaign Planning Director Bruce Knight.

"We'd love for them to consider it here," Grotelueschen said of the plan that would provide for an arena large enough to host hockey, volleyball and gymnastics."

Champaign is desperately missing an arena for mid-sized music acts. It now has a great venue for the 12,000+ size crowd with the SFC, as recent shows by Garth Brooks, Green Day, and Tom Petty attest. It has several decent (not great) venues for the 1,000 people and smaller crowds. But it has nothing for that 3-5,000 people attraction, which is sort of the sweet spot for a lot of the acts that hit the college demographic - the type of show that would have been had at Follinger back in the day.

So get a venue for that, plus hockey, volleyball and gymnastics, plus a downtown convention center, and you've got a facility that should see some use.

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
Champaign is desperately missing an arena for mid-sized music acts. It now has a great venue for the 12,000+ size crowd with the SFC, as recent shows by Garth Brooks, Green Day, and Tom Petty attest. It has several decent (not great) venues for the 1,000 people and smaller crowds. But it has nothing for that 3-5,000 people attraction, which is sort of the sweet spot for a lot of the acts that hit the college demographic - the type of show that would have been had at Follinger back in the day.

So get a venue for that, plus hockey, volleyball and gymnastics, plus a downtown convention center, and you've got a facility that should see some use.

Why is Follinger no longer an option for this size event?

All the more reason for the DIA to build their own arena IMHO. Could be in use for almost the entire school year among volleyball, hockey and gymnastics. Then fill in music when not used for sports.

Get 'er done :thumb: :D

peace davids

Colorado
Years ago, an Olympic Sports Venue was in discussions, to be built just south of the SFC, to seat ~5000 people and serve Volleyball, Gymnastics, Wrestling, and potential Ice Hockey (among others). It has been tabled over the years in favor of major renovations to SFC and MS. Not sure if it was even on the wish list anymore.

I personally think the downtown option is much better than expanding to the south of the SFC - regardless of who owns it. Just my first take on this though.

Yes, why? Saw The Pretenders & UFO, among others, there and it's a great venue, IMO.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume it's because it doesn't have the infrastructure that's expected of the venue anymore. (That's one of the reasons why the SFC had to go through all the remodeling before it could start drawing the big time acts that are now coming there - it needed new loading docks, electrical systems, etc., etc.) But I would assume due to its location on the Quad and age, Follinger would be quite a bit harder to give the facelift that SFC went through.

Deleted member 3875

D

Agree, let's get this thing built.

Interesting. I don't see how you get the financials to work, especially without a venue to start with, and Title IX implications. That said, I've been to many B10 hockey games, and they're a lot of fun. Small arenas for the most part, filled with passionate fans (assuming the team is any good). The cheap hits and fighting are taken very seriously, so it's mostly actual hockey, if you like that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.