FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,702      
100%, but I've never understood why some fans will fight to the death to ensure college athletes never get paid. At least it seems like that sometimes.

I’m just mad because they took away our college sports video games...

#1,703      
It is both undeniably true that players are compensated in the form of a ludicrously priced education as well as a variety of expenses, and also really bizarre to say that seeking to capitalize on their enormous economic value they possess for a very limited period in their lives represents "choosing not to value" the benefits they're already receiving.

Being committed to a college education and seeking the full value of your labor are not mutually exclusive in any way, shape or form.

And let's not be blind to the way in which the programs themselves devalue the players degrees by pressuring them into the easiest, least prestigious, least valuable, and thus least interfering with "optional" over-hours sports work classes and majors.

Senator, we're both a part of the same hypocrisy.

Post of the year.
I think people who always argue "BUT THE SCHOLARSHIP IS WORTH SO MUCH!!1!!1! LOOK HOW MUCH I PAID FOR MY KIDS" forget that these high major players are 100% explicitly told to major in the easiest major possible so as not to interfere with their dedication to their sport (read an article a couple months ago where Purdue players were told to their faces to not study engineering). Look at UNC, what is the value of that education they were getting with sham classes? No offense to anyone's kids but they were not asked to practice daily, represent the university on the national stage day in and day out resulting in ginormous television contracts, jersey and ticket sales, all the while forbidden to get part time jobs even if they needed the money.

So in the end, the university is giving them a scholarship, but implicitly telling them to only focus on sports and making the school money in the hope that they can maybe capitalize on it in 2-4 years. In the meantime the school rakes in millions. Ohio State football itself was recently valued at a BILLION actually!

At least letting the players profit off their likeness with endorsements and jersey sales would be a great first step. It would open the door for booster money influence of course, but it would at least be above the table and I don't think anyone could argue that that would be worse than duffel bags of cash dropped off by shoe companies.

#1,705      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I would too, but not as much as I hate seeing kids that don't have NFL or NBA futures having the massive windfalls their talents bring to their schools rolled into luxury suites and gold-plated locker rooms rather than their bank accounts.

One point, the alumni do "take care" of the players after graduation, even non-revenue sports. I know a former D1 player, non-revenue sport, never played a meaningful game due to several injuries, still got a book of names to contact. He's doing quite well with his education. (yes, he went to class and excelled) It's not all about going pro in sports (cue NCAA commercial)

#1,706      
Counter point to all of that, however, is the discussion in another thread that Jaylon Tate is making money in Canada playing ball - I'd be hard pressed to say his 4 years of college play didn't play a big role in that.

lol you do realize that a teams entire salary cap in the NBL-Canada is about 150,000 or 12,500 per player right? Meanwhile Illinois basketball takes in roughly 15 million dollars every year. Now I know Jaylon wasn't the reason that they made all 15 million but still, I'm sure that Jaylon thanks Illinois basketball every day for getting him to his big payday :thumb:

#1,707      
One point, the alumni do "take care" of the players after graduation, even non-revenue sports. I know a former D1 player, non-revenue sport, never played a meaningful game due to several injuries, still got a book of names to contact. He's doing quite well with his education. (yes, he went to class and excelled) It's not all about going pro in sports (cue NCAA commercial)

Great point. You're 100% right that it's on the player to get the most out of his education but I would argue that it honestly isn't in the best interests of the school for the great players to focus more or even equally between academics and athletics, and thats where the whole amateurism student-athlete mythos breaks down for me.

#1,708      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Networking has absolutely nothing to do with "taking care" of someone if they have the skills. There are multiple universities that provide networking information, alumni contacts and vice-versa to facilitate career development and placement, for all students including non-athletes.

I fully agree, didn't mean to apply that it was shady and the quotation marks likely gave that impression. As another mentioned, it is just paying it forward. I was just pointing out that these kids do get extra benefits that were not being discussed.

#1,709      
Yes, but my point is that most of these benefits are not really "extra" but common networking benefits available to the general population in most schools.

I would imagine it's kind of an unequal distribution, with ex-athletes, particularly in the revenue sports, who are above median in their professional development and preparedness benefiting much much more from alumni networks than regular students, while those who are lower on that spectrum benefit less to not at all.

(There is of course an 800lb gorilla in the room in that response, but I'll just leave it alone)

#1,710      
Just let any kids that dont want to go to college, let them go pro. If they dont make it, then it was there choice.

#1,713      
Why Kansas playing victim in recruiting scandal is rankling many in college basketball

"Still, the university’s stance was not greeted with great sympathy around a sport where questions have long simmered about the Jayhawks’ recruiting methods.

“'Look,' said one prominent veteran head coach, “'everyone’s been talking about Kansas for years.'”

Btw, in the photo at the top of this article, Bill Self is looking a lot like Cameron from Modern Family (who, coincidentally, happens to be from Kansas, but attended Kansas State).

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas...nkling-many-college-basketball-204538312.html

#1,715      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
"Still, the university’s stance was not greeted with great sympathy around a sport where questions have long simmered about the Jayhawks’ recruiting methods.

“'Look,' said one prominent veteran head coach, “'everyone’s been talking about Kansas for years.'”

Btw, in the photo at the top of this article, Bill Self is looking a lot like Cameron from Modern Family (who, coincidentally, happens to be from Kansas, but attended Kansas State).

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kansas...nkling-many-college-basketball-204538312.html

The idea that a shoe company steering players to your school makes you the "victim" is pretty astonishing. At some point, the NCAA needs to hold schools accountable regardless of whether coaches have plausible deniability.

If a recruit ends up at a school under fishy circumstances, the program should be held accountable. Period. Put the onus on the school to do their due-diligence before taking a player.

#1,716      
The idea that a shoe company steering players to your school makes you the "victim" is pretty astonishing. At some point, the NCAA needs to hold schools accountable regardless of whether coaches have plausible deniability.

If a recruit ends up at a school under fishy circumstances, the program should be held accountable. Period. Put the onus on the school to do their due-diligence before taking a player.
I didnt catch any direct linkage to shoes with Preston case. He wrecked a car in November and NCAA are trying to figure out how he got the car and called him ineligible. btw, Kansas would have given Nova a run with Preston.

#1,717      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL

I read the court filing when it was released earlier in the week (I would link it but I was on my phone and don't know how I got to it).

The filing basically says they are a victim because they give up assets (scholarship money, etc.) under false pretenses (player is not really eligible) and the school can get sanctioned for playing ineligible players, costing the school money.

The documents show that they have evidence of Louisville and NC State coaches being involved in negotiating with Adidas or third parties involved in the indictment to obtain the services of the players. Kansas and Miami coaches did not show up on wire taps, so they are only listed as victims.

I do not believe it is reasonable to assume that Self and Larrañaga had no knowledge of this scheme, but they were smart enough not to be caught in surveillance so far. Larrañaga so much so that he just received a raise and an extension from UM. Pretty unbelievable, IMO.

#1,718      
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
4h4 hours ago
More
PROGRAMMING ALERT: Condoleeza Rice's Wednesday morning press conference will be LIVE streamed on @CBSSportsNet.

#1,719      

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

Funny you should say that, cuz in the show itself, Cameron went to UofI and played football for the illini. I overly enjoyed that episode once I saw that - my wife thought i was weird. But she went to Michigan, so she wouldn't understand :thumb:

1000x563-Q90_db01e5f09ae8d2a512254baacf2bfbe3.jpg

#1,720      
Funny you should say that, cuz in the show itself, Cameron went to UofI and played football for the illini. I overly enjoyed that episode once I saw that - my wife thought i was weird. But she went to Michigan, so she wouldn't understand :thumb:

1000x563-Q90_db01e5f09ae8d2a512254baacf2bfbe3.jpg

I remember that episode. Remember being really happy because of the unexpectedness of it.

#1,721      

Deleted member 29907

D
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.