FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,329      
This isn't the Cold War, I'm surprised that people think saying "I passed a polygraph test" means "I'm being truthful" instead of the appropriate reaction of "LOL nobody takes polygraph tests anymore"

#1,331      
Question, is a non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement off limits to the FBI? I would assume yes, but being a criminal investigation has me wondering.

Not a lawyer, but an NDA or other agreement wouldn't stop the FBI if they believed it would further an investigation.

#1,332      

Deleted member 4723

D
This isn't the Cold War, I'm surprised that people think saying "I passed a polygraph test" means "I'm being truthful" instead of the appropriate reaction of "LOL nobody takes polygraph tests anymore"

Yeah, I thought it was interesting during his interview with Bilas, Pitino says "I told them to ask me if I had ever provided anything to any recruit". Sounded like he was directing the testing. I wasn't impressed.

#1,333      

So, um, I don't know how to tell you this, but if you work in the intelligence community (FBI, CIA, NSA, DIA etc) you have to take a polygraph. There are even two types of polygraphs.

Caveat: Not to say that Pitino's was legit.

Last edited:
#1,334      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Yeah, I thought it was interesting during his interview with Bilas, Pitino says "I told them to ask me if I had ever provided anything to any recruit". Sounded like he was directing the testing. I wasn't impressed.

Sounds less like a polygraph and more like someone fooling around with a Magic 8 Ball.

#1,335      

BZuppke

Plainfield
Why did Teddy Greenstein and the Sun Times each bring up this scandal when reporting on the Ayo commitment. Other than what we already know, the assistant at OSU, do we think there's more to it VI's a VI's Underwood? Sorry I didn't have time to scroll through this whole thread.

#1,337      
Sounds less like a polygraph and more like someone fooling around with a Magic 8 Ball.

You don't "fool around" with a Magic 8 Ball. You treat it like the finely-honed instrument that it is. I mean, it's so accurate that if it can't come up with an answer at the moment, it tells you to ask again later. If that isn't proof, nothing in.

#1,338      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
You don't "fool around" with a Magic 8 Ball. You treat it like the finely-honed instrument that it is. I mean, it's so accurate that if it can't come up with an answer at the moment, it tells you to ask again later. If that isn't proof, nothing in.

Agree 100%. In the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, a simple question like "Have I ever provided anything to any recruit?" is apt to yield wildly inaccurate results.

#1,339      
Why did Teddy Greenstein and the Sun Times each bring up this scandal when reporting on the Ayo commitment. Other than what we already know, the assistant at OSU, do we think there's more to it VI's a VI's Underwood? Sorry I didn't have time to scroll through this whole thread.

One of Teddy Greenstein's nicknames is teddy Purplestein. He is a Northwestern grad a a big time NU homer. He rarely misses a chance to tout NU as well as get a dig in at Illinois.

Sadly, we will probably have to live with these innuendos until Undereood is cleared. Even then, . . .

#1,340      

Rob07

San Francisco
Article on Christian Dawkins and his path to all of this...crazy read.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/meet-c...ss-prodigy-college-hoops-brink-213959726.html

Great story! Reading this, it seems like the problem is endemic -- players, coaches, street agents all have their hands out at every level.

How about letting the players sign with agents and sign shoe deals while maintaining their NCAA eligibility? Then you don't need to have a booster bagman pay the money under the table -- everything can be above-board.

#1,341      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Great story! Reading this, it seems like the problem is endemic -- players, coaches, street agents all have their hands out at every level.

How about letting the players sign with agents and sign shoe deals while maintaining their NCAA eligibility? Then you don't need to have a booster bagman pay the money under the table -- everything can be above-board.

Issue with this, shoe companies will pay more for kids to go to certain schools, since they will get more exposure.

#1,342      

Rob07

San Francisco
Issue with this, shoe companies will pay more for kids to go to certain schools, since they will get more exposure.
Maybe, but that's already the case today, right? Adidas was paying kids to go to Louisville, for example. And we all know that boosters are paying kids to go to the blue bloods of the world, reference Cliff Alexander for example. It's hard to see how this would make the situation worse.

If it's being done in the open air, in fact, it may make it harder to have this kind of school favoritism. If Nike is directing kids to Oregon instead of Illinois, Illinois fans are going to vote against that with their wallets. And kids will have more leverage to make their own choice, because they can just go to another shoe company. It will be in Nike's interest to say "we will sign you no matter which team you go to."

#1,343      

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL

Is no one else going to draw a line between "fooling around" and Pitino?

#1,346      
If I were a student at a school playing against Pitino-coached Louisville, I would start a "15 SECONDS clap clap clap-clap-clap" chant so fast, it'd make your head spin.

He looked like hell in the interview, btw. Maybe he's broken?

#1,347      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Maybe, but that's already the case today, right? Adidas was paying kids to go to Louisville, for example. And we all know that boosters are paying kids to go to the blue bloods of the world, reference Cliff Alexander for example. It's hard to see how this would make the situation worse.

If it's being done in the open air, in fact, it may make it harder to have this kind of school favoritism. If Nike is directing kids to Oregon instead of Illinois, Illinois fans are going to vote against that with their wallets. And kids will have more leverage to make their own choice, because they can just go to another shoe company. It will be in Nike's interest to say "we will sign you no matter which team you go to."

I am not as worried about UI, Nike knows we have a big/passionate alumni base that attends/watches games. Yes, we would still lose to the "blue bloods", but we would be fine against the next tier. However, teams outside of ACC/B1G/etc would get very upset. And the NCAA tourney is based on the upset. Could you imagine Nike telling a kid, well, you get $50K to go to Duke or $25K to go to UI or free shoes to go to Creighton? That is not a "fair" environment. I know it is not fair now, but, now it would be legal.

#1,348      
Wouldn't matter

Money would still be offered by programs and accepted by recruits. Look at these assistant coaches that have been arrested. They earn a terrific salary but still accepted bribes.

#1,349      
Why in the hell is Loren Tate asking Ayo Dosunmu about the FBI investigation?

Good grief...
latest

Was listening myself, and that was enormously painful. He’d obviously been coached to talk around it, luckily.

Status
Not open for further replies.