FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,526      

t7nich

Central IL
Michigan State and Maryland in the Big Ten. Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, USC, Alabama and more. :coffee:

Don't forget KANSAS. :thumb:

Apples Jones, the mother of former Kansas player Josh Jackson, received $2,700 according to documents.

#1,528      
The FBI has done more in a year vs. what the NCAA has ever done. I recall several senators outraged when the initial FBI report came out. Maybe Congress should drag NCAA leadership in for a special session and ridicule them publically for lack of discipline.

Well the FBI has subpoena power and the power to put people in jail. Kinda changes the equation there, Lou.

#1,529      
I think Izzo's tears the other day was his realization that his time at MSU is coming to an end. Too many scandals and cover-ups to deny he either knew or failed as a leader.

#1,530      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
The other shoe I would expect in all of this is the IRS. There are certainly tax implications if these payments were not disclosed. And if people think the FBI can be harsh, wait until the IRS jumps in....

#1,531      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
You're not going to get it.

szg.gif

#1,532      
That's my fear as well, especially because the NCAA has no incentive to properly clean this up. Any work they do to expose what has been going on will only prove how negligent they've been for years (likely decades). Players, coaches, college programs, shoe companies, agents, and AAU programs all bear responsibility for allowing this to go on for so long.

My honest hope is that the FBI eventually charges the NCAA with the equivalent of "lack of institutional control".

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

#1,533      
Am I the only one who thinks there's a huge difference between between agents paying players for possible future representation and coaches/boosters/shoe companies paying recruits to attend certain schools?

#1,534      

Deleted member 11196

D
The NCAA was created because of a crisis, and it has changed over time, largely because of yet another crisis. I suspect it will change again - maybe due to this crisis.

Every spark doesn't start a revolution, but every revolution is started with a spark.

#1,535      

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Am I the only one who thinks there's a huge difference between between agents paying players for possible future representation and coaches/boosters/shoe companies paying recruits to attend certain schools?

I agree with you. I read today's report and immediately thought, so what?

The real meat comes when the discovery from the Shoe Exec arrests come out. That will be big time.

#1,538      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Does anyone know if this impermissable benefits thing has any tax implications for not getting taxed on tuition scholarships? as it stands now you don't get taxed on scholarships that defray tuition costs. I wonder if getting paid ties in with amateur status and therefore eligibility for scholarships...?

#1,539      

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
I believe this is just what they have from only one agent's office. Probably a fair amount out there from other agents not included in this sting.

Absolutely. This is probably <10% of the total money that’s out there, from all the different income sources. College sports generate too much money for everyone not to expect their “fair share”. Wonder why the discussion about paying college athletes hasn’t been quite as prominent lately? This is why, the top players are getting paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#1,542      

Deleted member 19448

D
Sean please put your personal belongings in this box and then turn in your keys. He gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,544      

Deleted member 19448

D
Find it hard to believe that coaches who have 2 commas in their salary aren’t at least tacitly if not directly aware of how the talent is acquired that keeps their seven figure salary rolling in.

#1,545      
When all of this first came out, wasn’t Sean Miller on the record saying something like “this is dispicable, I can’t believe this happens in our sport”?

I remember him saying something like that. I love that all of this is coming out and people are being held responsible as liars and cheaters.

Yes he said something along those lines and the Arizona AD came out completley in support of Miller. Basically he is a man of such high integrity we have nothing to worry about. Whoops

#1,546      

Deleted member 19448

D
If the irs ever gets a hold of this some of the families will sing like a bird. I’m assuming none of this $ was declared as income. This may go on for years. I’m thinking what is going on now is just the beginning

#1,548      
No way Miller and Arizona can walk away from this unscathed.

#1,549      
If I understand that article correctly and this quote from the yahoo article:

"The email recounts the interactions from Dawkins’ perspective:

“Dwayne Stephens – Trying to close the deal on Brian Bowen for Michigan State. Trying to do a trade deal for (Spartans) Gary Harris, Miles Bridges, etc”

Stephens is an assistant coach for MSU and it sounds like they were trading getting their former and current players that are pro/going pro to sign with ASM in exchange for recruits like Brian Bowen. Holy moly, if true, MSU is as dirty as any of the dirtiest programs in college basketball. Izzo has been so high an mighty that it feels great to see him and others like Miller being knocked off their high horse.

#1,550      
I guess arguments between posters about if and how much money is floating around these recruits can die.
Makes the top recruiting look silly with all the speculation and crystal balls and writers making conjectures.
Should have posted bid numbers next to the teams after some of the top recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.