Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,102      
Strange that Tampa fired its coach. I'd heard that the last head coach was the reason they weren't getting better. Could they have been wrong about that?

I believe all of Illini nation will find out with certainty over the next two years.

#1,103      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Strange that Tampa fired its coach. I'd heard that the last head coach was the reason they weren't getting better. Could they have been wrong about that?

I believe all of Illini nation will find out with certainty over the next two years.
Lot easier than firing the players, or so I've heard. Wonder if Tampa can afford the buyout to bring Jon Gruden back?

#1,105      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
#1,106      

I used to have articles from Tampa pop up in my Google news feed and my God there was some resentment to Lovie. I haven't seen much in the past year so they must have finally come to terms with reality.

#1,107      
I used to have articles from Tampa pop up in my Google news feed and my God there was some resentment to Lovie. I haven't seen much in the past year so they must have finally come to terms with reality.

Why were they upset with Lovie? He took a basement team and began a great turnaround. Got them to 6 wins and fired him on the cusp of the team turning around.

#1,109      
Applewhite was the easy choice two years ago. I think they didn’t do much looking outside at the time. That choice is on Fertitta and the board. But yeah, not sure why they thought making a change now should be done. Not much reporting on it down here with the success of the Texans. Hopefully, Fertitta will start talking about it soon.

Kingsbury probably knows either 1) he's the next USC coach when Clay gets fired or 2)USC gets things turned around with him and he gets a better job than Houston. And in the meantime either way, he's living in L.A.

#1,110      
What the heck? Has Holgo finally had enough of WVU? Surely Houston isn't firing Applewhite for poor performance.

Applewhite seems like he doesn't necessarily make a bunch of friends wherever he goes. He stupidly got into it over Ed Oliver wearing a coat on the sidelines this year and had a bit of an incident that led to him being disciplined at Texas over his behavior at a Fiesta Bowl. I could see his act maybe wearing thin on his supervisors. Just a theory. Or they were spoiled by the success Herman had. Tough act to follow.

#1,111      
Any chance Lovie goes after Todd Bolles. 55 year old, maybe wants break from the pros. Top notch NFL DC coordinator.

I would think there will be NFL opportunities for Bowles though he'd be great. I thought maybe Steve Wilks with a one and done at Arizona might be willing to jump to the college game. He's got Lovie ties too I think.

#1,112      

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
Black Friday in the NFL. Maybe Lovie has someone in mind.

#1,116      
smith was fired after that season because its was the fifth time in six years the bears missed the playoffs.
Yep. And in the years after Lovie's 10-6, they went 8-8, 5-11, 6-10, 3-13 and 5-11. So was Lovie really the problem?

#1,117      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Yep. And in the years after Lovie's 10-6, they went 8-8, 5-11, 6-10, 3-13 and 5-11. So was Lovie really the problem?
Lovie was blamed because the Bears NEVER gave him a 1/2 way decent QB. Go figure.
The NFL is a quarterback league first and foremost.
It is very very rare that a team ever has consistent success or advances very far in the playoffs without a QB that's worthy of discussion.

The Eagles are so lucky to have two decent ones on the same team.

#1,118      
I'm not sure an NFL guy like Bolles could not recruit. Imagine Lovie and Bolles, two former NFL coaches and DC coordinators sitting down with parents, players, and coaches. Also position coaches do a lot if the initial contacting.

That being said I like the Steckel dude from Missouri State. Successful history of defenses at Missouri. Would help with recruiting in Missouri. Probably be our best DC since 25 years ago. Victor H. was good under Zook as well. Not many good ones between Tepper and now.

#1,120      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Interesting quote from November that resurfaced after the Kentucky win over PSU yesterday and overall progress of their program:

"Mark Stoops’ plan to build the Wildcats into a contender took six seasons, the first three with finishes under .500 (2-10 in a 2013 debut). That’s a lifetime of patience in modern college football and an eternity in the SEC. 'I’m not sure you could last anywhere else in the league with that kind of track record, except Vanderbilt,' an SEC assistant coach told SB Nation. But it was the right move all the way. That’s what’s interesting. Will it get other programs to reevaluate firing guys after three years? Maybe not. But... it’s a hell of an argument for letting coaches build out a roster over a long period.”
[https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/2/18053874/mark-stoops-kentucky-football-coach]

Hopefully this can be the story of Illinois football...

Kentucky Record Under Stoops
1546451324132.png

Kentucky Recruiting Under Stoops - 247Sports Avg. Rating [Illinois for comparison]
2013 - 0.8486 [0.8294]
2014 - 0.8683 [0.8225]
2015 - 0.8509 [0.8345]
2016 - 0.8504 [0.8126]
2017 - 0.8604 [0.8371]
2018 - 0.8611 [0.8381]
2019 - 0.8639 [0.8641]

1546451981686.png

#1,121      

illini80

Forgottonia
Interesting quote from November that resurfaced after the Kentucky win over PSU yesterday and overall progress of their program:

"Mark Stoops’ plan to build the Wildcats into a contender took six seasons, the first three with finishes under .500 (2-10 in a 2013 debut). That’s a lifetime of patience in modern college football and an eternity in the SEC. 'I’m not sure you could last anywhere else in the league with that kind of track record, except Vanderbilt,' an SEC assistant coach told SB Nation. But it was the right move all the way. That’s what’s interesting. Will it get other programs to reevaluate firing guys after three years? Maybe not. But... it’s a hell of an argument for letting coaches build out a roster over a long period.”
[https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/2/18053874/mark-stoops-kentucky-football-coach]

Hopefully this can be the story of Illinois football...

Kentucky Record Under Stoops
View attachment 3932

Kentucky Recruiting Under Stoops - 247Sports Avg. Rating [Illinois for comparison]
2013 - 0.8486 [0.8294]
2014 - 0.8683 [0.8225]
2015 - 0.8509 [0.8345]
2016 - 0.8504 [0.8126]
2017 - 0.8604 [0.8371]
2018 - 0.8611 [0.8381]
2019 - 0.8639 [0.8641]

View attachment 3933
Clearly we would all be thrilled with these results. Obviously we have not seen it yet. His recruiting has been pretty strong (better than ours) from the start.

#1,123      
Clearly we would all be thrilled with these results. Obviously we have not seen it yet. His recruiting has been pretty strong (better than ours) from the start.

Lovie had 1. a late start, 2. to deal with a damaged reputation for the program in important areas (i.e., ESL). 3. Learn the college system. I do think his track record of success warrants him some time to learn the college game and build relationships. I think a bump in defensive rankings would warrant that. I know the staff is at work in trying to tweak the defensive scheme to fit college and the personnel.

#1,124      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Lovie had 1. a late start, 2. to deal with a damaged reputation for the program in important areas (i.e., ESL). 3. Learn the college system. I do think his track record of success warrants him some time to learn the college game and build relationships. I think a bump in defensive rankings would warrant that. I know the staff is at work in trying to tweak the defensive scheme to fit college and the personnel.

Patience is the operative word of all fans. :ROFLMAO:

#1,125      

The prior AD leveled the program, the interim AD actually did a smart think in keeping the interim HC. There was no way we wanted the interim AD to make that hire. I'm impressed with the increase in size and athleticism that Lovie has brought in compared to the prior HC. It is not necessary just recruiting rankings, his OL/DL are bigger. With the experience and addition of numerous key players, I think 6 wins is the baseline, hoping for 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.