Game Thread: Illinois vs Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you using the "playing lots of freshman" rationale for optimism, let me ask you this. Do you notice any progression? I am asking cus most of you are more analytical of performance than I am. But do these players, does this team, seem to be progressing or regressing? A learning curve should start steep and taper off, I dont see it....

OLine is getting better. Smalling looks like the second coming of Brandon Lloyd.

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
"Margin of loss" may turn out to be important today. Currently, only Kansas is below us in the FBS power rankings.

How badly does one have to lose to Rutgers (at home, nonetheless) before KS leap frogs us? We just might claim the cellar when the rankings are updated.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Dre Brown is a nice story, but there's no way you can tell me Corbin wouldn't be making more of those carries.

No question the results are primarily due to youth. Just look at the depth chart.

What concerns me about the future is that I've seen no evidence that this staff can outcoach anybody. It'd be nice to see some evidence in the 2nd half. Lots of recruits watching today.

Understandable, and it's increasingly difficult to out-scheme the opposition when the players aren't quite mentally and physically ready to do it over the course of an entire season. But get your point.

There are no guarantees, it just feels like a necessary growing pain for everyone... as I cringe at Carmoni Green attempting to fall on a punt :(

EJ33

San Francisco
For those of you using the "playing lots of freshman" rationale for optimism, let me ask you this. Do you notice any progression? I am asking cus most of you are more analytical of performance than I am. But do these players, does this team, seem to be progressing or regressing? A learning curve should start steep and taper off, I dont see it....

You're not going to see tremendous progression from week to week for a freshman. Most of the progression occurs from season to season vs. game to game. I think we should see fewer penalties and stupid mistakes though - that's one visible form of progression.

illinifan87

The Windy City
The lack of discipline and costly mistakes are concerning. I know these kids are freshman...but some of that has to fall on coaching.

FT35

Naperville
Why is Green even going after that ball? Just awful.

I think the big jump should be next year once these guys have a full year of experience and more importantly a year of college weight lifting under their belts. The record may still not show it, but we should at least be able to compete. If we dont, then we can start to worry.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Only Illinois can have a team pinned inside their own ten on 4th down and the very next play they're in the red zone

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I know this is a freshman lead team, but man I’d like to see a little more fight in them. They seem completely deflated.

JEFF GEORGE IS NOT A GOOD QB!!!!!! How is it that I can see this from 1,100 miles away, but Lovie can't see it from the sidelines??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.