Illini Basketball 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a couple posters have said that Finke and Thorne are good complimentary pieces due to their skill sets. I very much agree. However, does anyone know how Leron's shooting has progressed? He's shown a semi reliable mid range game, but with so much limitation due to injury, hes probably done a lot of stationary shooting while recovering. If he can hit some standstill 3s, he then becomes a better (than he currently is) fit with Thorne, while being defensively superior to Finke.

Hopefully some of these returning guys have gotten significantly better defensively over the summer, because last year's defensive was awful.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Hopefully some of these returning guys have gotten significantly better defensively over the summer, because last year's defensive was awful.

Lots of freshman played lots of minutes. I expect their D to be markedly better.

blackdog

Champaign

They got significantly better during the season too so every reason to expect that trend to continue.

Lots of freshman played lots of minutes. I expect their D to be markedly better.

Yeah I'm not worried about the defense at all. There are 2 things that Groce has demanded from his team from the moment he got the job. Defense and take care of the ball. We won't be elite because we don't have a great shot blocker. But if someone isn't playing their role defensively, Groce has the bodies (knock on wood) to put him on the bench. Didn't have that luxury last year.

Plus, the simple fact that our rebounding will be much better. Less shots for the other team equals less points for the other team.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yeah I'm not worried about the defense at all. There are 2 things that Groce has demanded from his team from the moment he got the job. Defense and take care of the ball. We won't be elite because we don't have a great shot blocker. But if someone isn't playing their role defensively, Groce has the bodies (knock on wood) to put him on the bench. Didn't have that luxury last year.

Plus, the simple fact that our rebounding will be much better. Less shots for the other team equals less points for the other team.

+infinity

This team can be good. Not elite, but real good.

I honestly don't remember Groce putting that much an emphasis on defense. At least certainly not to the extent of our last two coaches. If you took off a defensive play under Weber, may God have mercy on your soul.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I honestly don't remember Groce putting that much an emphasis on defense. At least certainly not to the extent of our last two coaches. If you took off a defensive play under Weber, may God have mercy on your soul.

Need to separate the execution from the message. Defense has always been a point of emphasis for Groce & staff.

When you don't have bodies on the bench, defensive faux pas go unpunished.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
Need to separate the execution from the message. Defense has always been a point of emphasis for Groce & staff.

When you don't have bodies on the bench, defensive faux pas go unpunished.

True. Groce has certainly talked defense but execution on defense and rebounding have both been subpar under his leadership.

True. Groce has certainly talked defense but execution on defense and rebounding have both been subpar under his leadership.

++++

Not one above average defender on the floor last year. Maybe, just maybe KNunn but he was better his first 2 years.

I think it's been very clear that our success under Groce has been directly related to the defensive end. The first team (BP3, DJ, TA, JB, NE, SM, TG) played really good team defense. The second year (RR, NE, JE, JB, TA, 5 Fr.) peaked in February and March when we were stifling on defense. But the freshman took more than half of the season to acclimate and it was just too little, too late as far as the NCAA tournament goes. Season 3 (RR, NE, AS, AC, MH, KN, JT, Morgbert) started out with an offensive mind set. By the time the importance of good defense became apparent, the wheels were coming off in terms of off the court issues. Last year, injuries obviously played a significant role. The four freshmen were needed to fill in and play major minutes before they were ready defensively. As the season went on, JCL and DJW started to improve on that side of the ball, but it was a lost cause by that time.

This season, I expect Thorne and Morgan to more than hold their own down low defensively. Thorne has had a year in the system and, while recovering from knee surgery, should have improved mobility based on some of the off-season conditioning reports we have received. Morgan's biggest issue was footwork and slow reaction time. It also sounds like he will be very much improved in both of those areas. Leron Black has the ability, but just needs to rein it in and play under control without being a thug. Malcolm Hill has the drive and passion to succeed and has proven that he is capable of defending the best opposing player, regardless of position. Kipper Nichols sounds like he will be ready to contribute on D from day 1, but we still need to see it on the floor during a real game. JCL showed flashes and solid improvement as the year went on; he should more than hold his own this season. Finke needs to follow in Jr/Sr-Mav's footsteps and there's no doubt that he will do what it takes to get better. DJ Williams cant get complacent. He and Kipper could really be tough on some opposing back courts with their length and mobility if they can put it together. Aaron Jordan was way too slow in all aspects (footwork, reaction, anticipation, etc.), but he's a smart kid and a hard worker and will bounce back. TA has to recover fully and play with the same defensive intensity that he did as a freshman. Like most freshmen (in addition to coming off an injury), expect Te'jon to struggle, especially early on. Jaylon Tate may be our best defensive PG, but he just detracts from the offense too much to be the main guy. He will be more productive, though, with Thorne down low (size, mobility, and good hands) and should also benefit from having a more explosive Hill, Kipper, and DJW on the fast break. Overall, this should be Groce's 2nd best defensive team at Illinois (as rated over the course of an entire season) with the depth, experience, and athleticism to potentially be his best.

Real quick, with all the stuff we hear about Fletch does anyone know how much bigger/strong Black is?

@Adam_Fletcher41
Leron 8 month change:
Bench Press 210-250 +40lbs
Squat 264-308 +110lbs
Vert 30-31.5 +1.5inches
#TNT #ILL

CpCPP3uWcAEne-l.jpg

Jeez. Just looked through Fletch's Twitter. The team looks like a group of superheroes. Even Mav is shredded. Maybe we should start calling them the Avengers.

That's a grown !!! man.

Every go check out Fletch's Twitter page. Posting pics galore of the transformation.

BOLO for JCL, Tate, and Jordan pics. Those are eye popping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember Hill and Nunn sitting on the bench behind Ekey and Bertrand? Remember Alex Austin playing ahead of DJW and AJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.