Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't realize how difficult it was for last year's team to finish 347th out of 351 teams in DRB.:)

People don't realize how difficult it was for last year's team to finish 347th out of 351 teams in DRB.:)

It's impossible to grab a rebound when the ball goes through the hoop. When that happens 60% of the time, defensive rebounding statisitics will not be high. Add in the fact that we forced an above average amount of turnovers. The opportunity for rebounds was far less than the average team. C'mon TC, don't be lazy.

It's impossible to grab a rebound when the ball goes through the hoop. When that happens 60% of the time, defensive rebounding statisitics will not be high. Add in the fact that we forced an above average amount of turnovers. The opportunity for rebounds was far less than the average team. C'mon TC, don't be lazy.

Take a look at our opponent's FT's/FTA's. Missed FT's are a potential DRB, right? BTW, your 60% number is not correct.:)

Take a look at our opponent's FT's/FTA's. Missed FT's are a potential DRB, right? BTW, your 60% number is not correct.:)
Only if it is the second one of a two-shot foul or the bonus situation. So not all missed free throws were rebound opps.

De La Rosa

Had a chance to sit with Mr. De La Rosa last night at a Rebounders event. I have no idea what his on-court contributions are going to be but I will tell you that we are a better program for just having him here. He came in after practice and sat down at a table with a group of fans who were probably 50 years older than he was on average. He handled himself very well. Just one example: the players were released to go through the food line first because they were to move to an autograph table after 20 minutes. Adonis went through the line and got his food but wouldn't take a bite until the rest of our table had gotten our food. Our table was well down the list of tables to be released so by the time we returned to sit down to eat they were calling the players to the autograph table. He wasn't able to finish his meal until after all of the fans had gotten their autographs. His food had to be cold by then.

FWIW, he said that his knee is doing quite well. He has started to run and was to begin to work on lateral movement today. Said he has no pain and no swelling. Wasn't sure when he might be released to participate in full practice nor when he might play, but he was feeling great.

Said his dad came to the U.S. at the age of 16 when he was recruited by the Rockies as a pitcher. Went through elbow surgery which ended his pitching career. Insisted that his kids get an education even if they have athletic potential. Has a brother playing professional basketball in China.

Had some funny stories about a Dominican kid who grew up in the Bronx and went to play basketball in the oil fields of North Dakota. Fans are going to love this guy.

Had a chance to sit with Mr. De La Rosa last night at a Rebounders event. I have no idea what his on-court contributions are going to be but I will tell you that we are a better program for just having him here. He came in after practice and sat down at a table with a group of fans who were probably 50 years older than he was on average. He handled himself very well. Just one example: the players were released to go through the food line first because they were to move to an autograph table after 20 minutes. Adonis went through the line and got his food but wouldn't take a bite until the rest of our table had gotten our food. Our table was well down the list of tables to be released so by the time we returned to sit down to eat they were calling the players to the autograph table. He wasn't able to finish his meal until after all of the fans had gotten their autographs. His food had to be cold by then.

FWIW, he said that his knee is doing quite well. He has started to run and was to begin to work on lateral movement today. Said he has no pain and no swelling. Wasn't sure when he might be released to participate in full practice nor when he might play, but he was feeling great.

Said his dad came to the U.S. at the age of 16 when he was recruited by the Rockies as a pitcher. Went through elbow surgery which ended his pitching career. Insisted that his kids get an education even if they have athletic potential. Has a brother playing professional basketball in China.

Had some funny stories about a Dominican kid who grew up in the Bronx and went to play basketball in the oil fields of North Dakota. Fans are going to love this guy.

Thank you BRucks! I love these interpersonal stories that often get lost in the mix. Maybe an example where having OA on staff seemingly get's relegated to obscurity. But these things sort of build up.... and over time, maybe next year, or the year after.... That 4/5 star from DR feels that connection, and takes the 'leap of faith' on a lesser program. We will see. I think it will happen at some point.... Keep the ball rollin'.......

His is the position of need. If he is healthy and has a good season, we will compete with everyone we play.

Adonis led the MAC in fouls. He fouled out of 9 games. He should blend in well. OTOH, he had 7 double/doubles.

Why not just let the season play out before determining if he's a McLaurin or a Thorne? Obviously, tons of question marks with this guy, but I enjoyed hearing about the event so keep them coming please.

Adonis led the MAC in fouls. He fouled out of 9 games. He should blend in well. OTOH, he had 7 double/doubles.
He's right around the same rate as Leron in last two years, which isn't horrible compared to underclassman Leron. If he can give us 20 mpg, that would be a huge success, but 15 mpg is probably more realistic. For the record, he played 25.7 mpg last year which is more than I expected for a guy his size.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
He's right around the same rate as Leron in last two years, which isn't horrible compared to underclassman Leron. If he can give us 20 mpg, that would be a huge success, but 15 mpg is probably more realistic. For the record, he played 25.7 mpg last year which is more than I expected for a guy his size.

Indeed. Plus, his given name is the bomb.

Seemed like Black's rebounding (and defense, which was never very good) took a step back with his offensive game flourishing last year. I doubt we have someone that converts 65%+ from post ups like he did last year but we can definitely get more from a defense and rebounding stand point.
The second Black announced he was going pro was when my hopes for this season were flushed down the toilet. Do I like the players we have on the team this year? Absolutely!

But all that youth is going to take time to develop. Not only did we need Black's scoring, but experience as well. With Black I think we're an NCAA team and finishing in the top half of the big ten. Without him? Not.....

CAIllini

West Coast
Where did Black end up playing professional? Nevermind, Googled it:

On August 5, 2018, Black signed a one-year deal with the Israeli team Elitzur Yavne of the Liga Leumit.

Couldn't get a sense for what average salaries are in that league but their "stadium" seats 600...

I don't get it. I think another year of development on the same trajectory he was already on at Illinois would have given him a fighting chance at the League... but instead a small operation in Israel? I don't know, man...

I don't get it. I think another year of development on the same trajectory he was already on at Illinois would have given him a fighting chance at the League... but instead a small operation in Israel? I don't know, man...

I do not believe that Black would have ever been an NBA candidate, even with another year. But another year in college would have given a much better start in Europe. Definitely nowhere near Euroleague and top teams, but better than second division (not even first division) in Israel where pay is not that good. For whatever reason, it seems that he wanted to leave college.

Black would have been a solid pre-season 2nd team All B!G.

Hello everybody!

I am an x's and o's junkie, as well as a fellow Illini, who has started to write some blogs, specifically about college basketball, and basketball strategy.

I am in the process of creating/gathering enough diagrams and clips of BU's Spread Offense before I begin a piece.

If possible, could you all take no more than 5 minutes of your time to read my recent piece and provide feedback?

https://medium.com/@evankurland/college-basketball-needs-to-study-abroad-93f732e38f97

I sincerely apologize if this post doesn't belong in this thread, but I didn't know where else to post.

Thank you in advance to anyone that reads, you have no idea how much this means to me.

I long to see clips of our offense, you know, working this year, with lots of highlights of how we beat defenses by moving the ball, making crisp cuts and good decisions....

Writing is good! For me personally, explaining a play, then diagramming, then showing a clip in real time, is a great way of 'first we crawl, then we walk, then we run'. Kudos

If you understand the time value of money, it makes sense to me. Leron is playing in Israel's 2nd Div (lets assume he makes 3000 a month/10 months) How much would he have made staying at Illinois? Yes, he would have probably put up some good numbers in his final year but there are only 60 slots in the NBA draft ( of which 35 or so are almost guaranteed money) Playing in Israel's 2nd div gives him a shot at 1st Div (more money) because he is already there. If he had stayed at Illinois you could make the argument that he could have made 1st Div (with some good numbers) but he would not have 30K tax free money in the bank and a shot at 1st Div. He is in fact 20-30K richer taking the route he took. Time value of money. If he does well in Israel, there's always a chance to make it back to the G-League/NBA

Tevo

Wilmette, IL

Well with Alstork and Black gone, who would teach the young guys how to foul!? Thank goodness we have some veteran leadership in that area with Adonis.

I think we are way undervaluing the Master's degree at UI vs undergrad degree with regards to future earnings power. The biggest thing was the Master's degree was going to be free. He clearly should have stayed.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
If you understand the time value of money, it makes sense to me. Leron is playing in Israel's 2nd Div (lets assume he makes 3000 a month/10 months) How much would he have made staying at Illinois? Yes, he would have probably put up some good numbers in his final year but there are only 60 slots in the NBA draft ( of which 35 or so are almost guaranteed money) Playing in Israel's 2nd div gives him a shot at 1st Div (more money) because he is already there. If he had stayed at Illinois you could make the argument that he could have made 1st Div (with some good numbers) but he would not have 30K tax free money in the bank and a shot at 1st Div. He is in fact 20-30K richer taking the route he took. Time value of money. If he does well in Israel, there's always a chance to make it back to the G-League/NBA

Also, I don't know the details of that particular league, but many European leagues provide living accommodations and car rentals, significantly reducing the cost of living. He may be able to bank almost everything he makes, which helps.

I think we are way undervaluing the Master's degree at UI vs undergrad degree with regards to future earnings power. The biggest thing was the Master's degree was going to be free. He clearly should have stayed.
He did start his Master's and can always finish (probably for free as a returning GA)

Status
Not open for further replies.