Illini Coaching Staff

#1,376      
If this was our plan maybe we should have waited a week on formalizing Antigua. Unless we really wanted him to get a sit down with JT.

I think you wanted the nation to sit up and take note with a public hiring of Antigua. Perhaps Martin has been slow played for a handful of recruits he has prior relationship with??????

#1,377      
It's encouraging to see how much the sentiment has shifted on this board into being a-okay with exploiting the gray areas. If you look at old threads, that was a deal breaker for many.

I agree, however I think some look at the gray area in the wrong manner.

The "gray" area is simply finding loopholes in the rules. Cheating is not following the rules. Finding the gray area is being strategic and using every advantage you can get.

That is my 2 cents. :thumb:

#1,379      

MrOizo

Chicago

The "gray" area is simply finding loopholes in the rules. Cheating is not following the rules. Finding the gray area is being strategic and using every advantage you can get.

My thoughts as well -

#1,381      

I agree. Exploit the !!!! out of the gray area. That doesn't mean you're cheating. Recruiting is vicious and hopefully we now have guys in charge that realize this.

I'm so sick of having "nice guys" in charge. Groce looks like he is going to land Demetrious Jackson. Then last minute, Brey offers Jackson's best friend and Jackson opts for ND. This crap has been going on with us for over a decade.

#1,382      

MrOizo

Chicago
I agree. Exploit the !!!! out of the gray area. That doesn't mean you're cheating. Recruiting is vicious and hopefully we now have guys in charge that realize this.

I'm so sick of having "nice guys" in charge. Groce looks like he is going to land Demetrious Jackson. Then last minute, Brey offers Jackson's best friend and Jackson opts for ND. This crap has been going on with us for over a decade.
We are proof of where nice guys finish (near the bottom of the big ten).

#1,383      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Groce looks like he is going to land Demetrious Jackson. Then last minute, Brey offers Jackson's best friend and Jackson opts for ND. This crap has been going on with us for over a decade.

That's not even "grey area" stuff (I hate that phrase). That's just being competent and weighing/managing risk.

#1,384      
Besides the fact......

That's not even "grey area" stuff (I hate that phrase). That's just being competent and weighing/managing risk.

the big kid that Brey took is not a bad player. He has played a reserve tole the last couple of years and been a very active defender and rebounder. We could have used a kid like that for 10 minutes a game.

#1,385      

Agreed. My point is that when you're getting paid millions, you get creative and find ways to make things work. Creative may mean exploiting the grey areas. Or it may mean offering a schollie to a best friend to get a stud to sign on.

#1,390      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Probably because Underwood knows he needs players, he had a lot of his SFA staff around him, and Gentry was young and didn't have a ton of leverage and would take the job.

Having been the Director of Player Development at a major conference school which was wildly successful turning Travis Ford's talented but garbageball-trained leftovers into the #1 offense in the nation, his leverage is different now.

Why have Joey Biggs and Patrick Schulte been announced and Gentry hasn't? It ain't rocket science, Gentry is looking around for an opportunity for a full assistant gig that would be a better springboard for his future.

It sounds like that search has not borne fruit for him. Though you'll forgive me for not celebrating yet when Evans was also a fait accompli pencil-in for the staff until about 12 hours before he wasn't.

I am not sure if this has been posted, but Gentry has been added to the U of I website:

http://illinois.edu/ds/detail?userI...h=* Gentry&from_result_list=true&skinId=0&sub=

#1,392      

Deleted member 16340

D
This whole process is taking a huge toll on my patience as I see other coaches, hired later, filling out their staffs and making player adjustments...I pray that it is worth it.

#1,393      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
It's encouraging to see how much the sentiment has shifted on this board into being a-okay with exploiting the gray areas. If you look at old threads, that was a deal breaker for many.

Yep. It's a no-brainer. I just wonder how many who applaud a shrewd move like that are also crying "tampering!" wrt Mizzou.

#1,396      
Yep. It's a no-brainer. I just wonder how many who applaud a shrewd move like that are also crying "tampering!" wrt Mizzou.

It's different if the kid has a LOI. If Martin was recruiting Justin Smith for us, I wouldn't like that. But if he was recruiting the other two guys after they were released their LOI, then I wouldn't mind the gray area.

#1,399      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
So does that mean beyond doubt that Stephen Gentry is employed by UI now? Is that just some sort of placeholder?

#1,400      

sacraig

The desert
So does that mean beyond doubt that Stephen Gentry is employed by UI now? Is that just some sort of placeholder?

It certainly seems that way. He's got an email (and therefore a netid) and a mailstop and everything.