Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see Josh Whitman making the announcement, "We have decided to go in a new direction and wish Coach Smith all the best." Nope. That would mean all the NFL coaching talent we have as assistants have failed as well, an all would have to leave. Then what?

Whitman also knows that if Lovie Smith can't turn a program around, no one will want to come here to take their turn to do it.

Whitman also knows that if Lovie Smith can't turn a program around, no one will want to come here to take their turn to do it.

Not true at all.

If you hadn't noticed, the narrative in some places is already that Lovie was a dumb hire of some NFL old guy that we were misguided to jump for.

We'll make them eat those words, but the point is, when coaches fail, they own the failure. Our job is not the most appealing in the world, but there are always good coaches eager to take a chance in the Power 5.

Not true at all.

If you hadn't noticed, the narrative in some places is already that Lovie was a dumb hire of some NFL old guy that we were misguided to jump for.

We'll make them eat those words, but the point is, when coaches fail, they own the failure. Our job is not the most appealing in the world, but there are always good coaches eager to take a chance in the Power 5.

Agree, especially with the latter. That seems like a universal truth to me, for both basketball and football. There are always prospects that want their P5 chance.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Is this a result of the bend don't break defensive philosophy of previous regime? It always seemed like our D-Backs played 10 - 15 yards off the receivers.

Probably more of teams being able to run all over us so why bother throwing?

A ten year span is a long span. There is a little of a lot of things. We definitely had holes in our secondary for some of the years. There are years that we were out of the game early and teams could just run us out. I am not sure it was any single factor.

Running backs coach Thaddeus Ward among six coaches named Bill Walsh Diversity Fellows who will be attending Bears training camp as coaching interns: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-announce-bill-walsh-coaching-fellows

The program's objective is to use NFL clubs' training camps to give coaches opportunities to observe, participate, gain experience and ultimately gain a full-time NFL coaching position. The Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship is in its 31st year.

Deleted member 654622

D
Running backs coach Thaddeus Ward

The program's objective is to use NFL clubs' training camps to give coaches opportunities to observe, participate, gain experience and ultimately gain a full-time NFL coaching position. The Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship is in its 31st year.

I think this is a great thing. If the "idea" is for this program to be a pipeline to the NFL in an effort to draw the best talent, that includes coaches as well. The more people we put in the NFL, the better!

Great write up, first time reading the article. A couple thoughts:

Very interesting to see the almost perfect correlation between INT stats and overall success. Obviously teams that are consistently playing with a lead will see the most amount of low-percentage passes, and vise versa, but still the powerhouses at the top of the list.

In my opinion, this is less reflective of the secondary and more reflective of DL play and pressure. The teams at the top of the list are probably the teams that are most effective pressuring with 4 guys, leaving 7 back to defend the pass. The teams near the bottom are probably teams that HAVE to blitz multiple linebackers to get pressure, thus leaving the secondary in more 1 on 1 match-ups. Sure a secondary full of 5 stars helps, but I would argue an elite DL is maybe the top contributor here.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I don't think Lovie is going to fail at Illinois. But if he does, remember these words:

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1020326275574050816

I went to school at Air Force and because they can’t recruit the same way normal schools do, they have adopted this strategy.

Though, it’s more “recruit at small schools and sign the QB since he is most likely the best player in the team.”

One of my football buddies told me they once had like 30 former HS QBs on the roster. The ones that didn’t make QB ended up at FB, RB, WR, TE and a few sprinkles in on D at LB and CB.

Running backs coach Thaddeus Ward among six coaches named Bill Walsh Diversity Fellows who will be attending Bears training camp as coaching interns: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears-announce-bill-walsh-coaching-fellows

This is awesome, no idea the NFL had a program like this

Naah, that narrative against Lovie's hire was most likely on an internet message board. Which is ignorant of and disregards the human aspect.
As for failure attaching only to the departing coaches, geez no, that is a stigma that sticks to the university like Gorilla Glue.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
According to his twitter account (sorry, haven't figured out how to link tweets yet), DL Dominic Moore (Chicago) is visiting tomorrow. Very big kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.