Illini Golf 2018-2019

Is there a movie on this flight?
Elmhurst
Just was on FightingIllini.com and saw that the Illini lead the Notre Dame tournament after two days.
The third day is today.
Team stats,
Illinois -30
Georgia Southern -25
North Carolina -18

Individually, everyone is doing well.
View attachment 3613

All 5 guys in the Top20!!

Here is a link to the story
https://fightingillini.com/news/201...ournament-lead-at-fighting-irish-classic.aspx
Good showing, thus far. Good initiative making a new thread (it was overdue).

Good to see Giovanni playing so well. Way to go Illini!

Likewise Illini women; were in third, I think, at their Medinah invitational, 8 shots behind Perdue! I volunteered there Sunday as shuttle driver and Monday as a spotter.

Medinah: what a joint! The members and staff were so friendly and helpful to this peasant. Had full run of that magnificent clubhouse. A wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Funny: I was trying to find my way to men's locker-room area at Medinah clubhouse where I was told I could get a cup of coffee and a mini-Danish. A man asked if he could help me; he showed me the way. He was well-dressed, sharp. And I thought: "What a classy locker-room attendant!" I later found out he is on Medinah's board of directors!

Membership to Medinah is by invitation only. Quoting Groucho Marx, I say: "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member!"

Last edited:
Western Suburbs
I was a scorer both days and one of the competitors told me that the Medinah course is nicer than the Atlanta Athletic Club course. It was fun watching these women play. I saw some great putting and a couple of off the green chip ins. And the weather was perfect for Monday's and Tuesday's competition rounds.

I was a scorer both days and one of the competitors told me that the Medinah course is nicer than the Atlanta Athletic Club course. It was fun watching these women play. I saw some great putting and a couple of off the green chip ins. And the weather was perfect for Monday's and Tuesday's competition rounds.
Sorry I missed you, Konnie. Maybe next year.

Yes, the golfers I spoke to loved Medinah #2, but it isn't rated as highly as #s 1 and 3! Gee.

I contacted event coordinator, a Medinah member, I think, after the event about a golf-cart tour of #3 (what nerve of me)!. Haven't heard back, so it looks like I'm back to being a peasant. But it was worth a try.

I was scared nearly out of my wits about planes in to and out of O'Hare flying over Medinah. Very low ceiling on Sunday; I thought a 747 was gonna crash right there and then into the clubhouse. Not to worry. A staffer said : "You get used to it." I did

I urge all of you, if you can, to volunteer next fall. Wonderful experience. Amateur golf is the best! No beer, no loudmouths! (I could have used a beer after seven hours spotting on #4, but the nice Medinah ladies could only arrange two lemonades for me! Alas, no vodka either!)

P.S. Odd not watching Illini men in East Lake Cup.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this thread, these stories are fun to read. Thanks to those of you who volunteer.
You're welcome.

In this case, Illini women invitational, I got a t-shirt, a little back-pack thing, free grub and the opportunity to watch great golf! Wherever you are , promote and support amateur golf. Fun city!

PS: One of the coaches told me she attended Ryder Cup at Medinah; she couldn't even walk the course, that's how crowded it was. Instead, she said, she planted herself and drank beer! Sensinle human being.

Last edited:
One more thing: Junior Western Amateur is at Rich Harvest Farms, Sugar Grove, in June, 2019. BIG men's golf championship is there in 2020. Palmer Cup 2021, I think. I like planning for the future - if I live that long!

Just contact Vickie at Rich for volunteer opportunities.

Not sure where to post but if you play Golf clash (AWSOME) game !!
I created a clan group named
Flying Illini 89
Everyone is welcome come join the clan and chat Illini tons of fun !!

Who's thinking golf after sub-arctic temps in Illinois? Me.

Glad Illini beat Neb today; that means I can devote my Sunday afternoon to paying homage to Johnny Miller by watching tournament. It sounds like he's doing his farewell right now. I hope he's back tomorrow.

How many of you fellow duffers play your best round the last round of the season? It always happens to me, so that's why I can't wait to get out there soon.
Golf is cruel.

Illinois beat ISU in Tinervan again. Hope Illini mesh as a team.

Last edited:
Today was Johnny's last day. End of an era. I feel very old. Who's his replacement? (As if you really can replace him).

I admired his honesty about "choking". Heck, Palmer choked: '66 Open to Casper, but Casper indeed won it. Most of us, in any endeavor, have choked now and then. As great as he was, Johnny Miller certainly did. And Jack: '60 US Open - what was that all about? Youth, I guess. Hogan said you should have won the thing.

Langley is co-leader at Pebble Beach with Speith as of 12:30 a.m. today. Illinois beat MSU in BIG match play; face OSU in semis today.

Pebble Beach: Golf heaven. I checked the website: Centennial Package, 3 nights, 3 rounds : only about $4,300! Anybody want to go with me? And if you do, may I ask for a small loan? I'll pay for gas and all-you-can-eat at Carmel Golden Arches - if there is one.

Last edited:
The Villages, FL
Pebble Beach: Golf heaven. I checked the website: Centennial Package, 3 nights, 3 rounds : only about $4,300! Anybody want to go with me? And if you do, may I ask for a small loan? I'll pay for gas and all-you-can-eat at Carmel Golden Arches - if there is one.
I've played Pebble and if there is one place on the planet you should go, it's there. Mortgage your house if you have to. It's that good.

"Think Small" - the slogan worked for Volkswagen; it's worked for Illini golf. Young guys have to come on strong. Go Illinois golf, men and women!

Langley hangling in there.

Can't stand Gary McCord, never have. McJerk. Unfunny, stupid mustache. Hogan asked him what he'd done on tour; McCord said he'd never won. Hogan replied something like "then what are you doing out there ?" Get rid of this guy. What a creep.