Illinois 24, Purdue 6 POSTGAME

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Everyone and their dog knows the drops aided the defensive efforts today but regardless, Lovie called a phenomenal football game. You don’t chase Purdue and Lovie knew that. We did a phenomenal job of taking away space, filling up lanes and bringing players down on first contact. Great job today Lovie.
Yes, we tackled very well all day. Even Stanley Green was out there wrapping people up.

Its nice to be able to say this in a positive way for once . . .
That was a sloppy football game, but I only mean the weather, not our play.
Good job, team and coaches !
Way to put yourselves in position.
Now stay the course.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Lovie Smith at Illinois:

Quoting myself from the Michigan game thread:
If I'm wrong that Michigan let up after about three drives because of how embarrassing we were and don't have their heads in it, and what we've seen this half is representative of the quality of the team, we'll stick around against Wisconsin, blow out Purdue, and then everything looks different.

I don't think I'm wrong.

Well guess what, I was wrong!

On a personal note, in an effort to enable other parts of my life I'm trying to steer clear of these boards (twitter too), so don't think I'm ducking you guys, just trying to have a bit of posting/life balance. But given that the situation has so dramatically turned around I felt the need just to register with you all that I see it, and that I'm loving every minute of it. Plenty of football to be played, but tough to see Lovie getting fired now, and I couldn't be happier for him or us. The next 16 (hopefully 18) games look one heck of a lot brighter than where we've been.

Lovie Smith at Illinois:

Quoting myself from the Michigan game thread:

Well guess what, I was wrong!

On a personal note, in an effort to enable other parts of my life I'm trying to steer clear of these boards (twitter too), so don't think I'm ducking you guys, just trying to have a bit of posting/life balance. But given that the situation has so dramatically turned around I felt the need just to register with you all that I see it, and that I'm loving every minute of it. Plenty of football to be played, but tough to see Lovie getting fired now, and I couldn't be happier for him or us. The next 16 (hopefully 18) games look one heck of a lot brighter than where we've been.
Since I was on the other end of your quoted reply in the Michigan game thread, calling you hypocritical at first, I will say that after the 4Q I thought I was the one who was wrong after Michigan finished us off, I thought you were correct about Michigan letting off the brakes the first three quarters. You had a perfectly reasonable view and I was prepared to stand in the wrong, but I’m glad for both of us as Illini fans that they’ve stepped it up lately! #ILL

of the 3 most gettable wins post Wisconsin, this was the toughest in my opinion. I expected to lose today, kinda like I expected wide right on the last play last week.

Everyone and their dog knows the drops aided the defensive efforts today but regardless, Lovie called a phenomenal football game. You don’t chase Purdue and Lovie knew that. We did a phenomenal job of taking away space, filling up lanes and bringing players down on first contact. Great job today Lovie.
WOW. I'm an old guy but someone told me that if you bold letters it stresses the point, but if I shouldn't have done that, you have my apologies. We dropped the first pass of the day, and the receiver that dropped it ( no reason to throw someone under the bus ) makes that catch 90% of the time. So I think the staff realized how tough it would be to throw, because one of their best receivers let it slip through. The difference was that we could rely on the run, and they couldn't.

Deleted member 654622

D
Rutgers next week then 2 teams that seem like generic versions of Wisconsin, finishing off at home vs the team up north. I'm feeling good gentlemen.
If we could get some good news in recruiting now, this thing can get rolling

Deleted member 29907

D
The one difference too, and this was likely weather related too, but even tho some were drops (we had a few too) we typically had a defender within arms length - in past games, the camera had to pan to find a defender - hopefully we're getting more aggressive in m-2-m D, but the non-threat of the deep ball probably helped with that.

The one difference too, and this was likely weather related too, but even tho some were drops (we had a few too) we typically had a defender within arms length - in past games, the camera had to pan to find a defender - hopefully we're getting more aggressive in m-2-m D, but the non-threat of the deep ball probably helped with that.

Good observation.

Today we played almost solely what people usually incorrectly accuse of playing, Cover 2. More or less, our guys played good assignment football. Stayed home and filled passing lanes. When you play good assignment football in this defense, guys will be in position to make plays/tackles.

WOW. I'm an old guy but someone told me that if you bold letters it stresses the point, but if I shouldn't have done that, you have my apologies. We dropped the first pass of the day, and the receiver that dropped it ( no reason to throw someone under the bus ) makes that catch 90% of the time. So I think the staff realized how tough it would be to throw, because one of their best receivers let it slip through. The difference was that we could rely on the run, and they couldn't.
He was talking about rain drops not receiver drops.

Deleted member 645583

D
Well, here goes: more Dre Brown kudos.

I remember alerting everyone about this runner way back.

BTN guys said he missed 1.5 seasons because of his knee injuries, and I'm sure he was never really 100 percent healthy when he was activated until ths season. Two surgeries and he runs the way he does? Outstanding. If I ever need a knee-job I want the name of his surgeon!

Is there a place for him in the NFL? Punt returns? He's getting some well-deserved national exposure. His running style kind of reminds me of Payton: run through the defenders, bounce off, repeat.

Dre has some speed, too. Was a track star at DeKalb.

Another thing: I hear Dre's a very good student. Icing on the cake.

Question: The expression "Trap Game" is really popular now.

Could Rutgers be considered a trap game for Illini?

Thanks.

Dre called his DeKalb H.S. coach right after WI game. I sub at DHS Tuesday; will try to get some info on the record from coach.

Deleted member 4960

D
We won today because a pass happy offense couldn’t execute in the rain and we could with our running attack. Also Lovie’s defense played well with his signature turnovers being a big difference (14 pats).

Deleted member 645583

D
Yes, a stupid Purdue game plan. They met the mudders from Illinois!

Yes, a stupid Purdue game plan. They met the mudders from Illinois!

Jeff Brohm was arguably our best asset today. Started with a terrible game plan for the conditions, immediately panicked and abandoned the only semblance of a run game he showed when down merely 10-0 and then let 27 seconds run off the clock in the 4th quarter when he needed every second he could get. A day he will be happy to forget, that’s for certain.