Illinois 31, Michigan State 27 POSTGAME

Defense played their butts off today.Offense had zero going for it then WHAM-O. I wanted to cry when M State caught that td late in the fourth. I felt like we had played so hard and we were going to lose in typical heart breaking fashion. Then Jr. channeled some of the old man for a drive. Just a fantastic victory and some momentum maybe to build on.

The referees did a good job marshalling the game throughout. But the Illini got downfield with two pass interference calls plus that MSU pass that bounced off the turf overturned as incomplete. Notice no incessant holding calls and no block in the back on kicks.

As for Lovie calling time out thrice at the end of the game, I think this was gamesmanship to force MSU to change what they were going to do each time. And it may very well have caused some nerves in their backup QB.

Illinois could have been down on themselves after losing 2 wide receivers last week. But they picked up the slack. Last week they had Herm Edwards and Richard Butkus give them pep talks. Didn't work. Coaches must have had straightforward practices this past week.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]BggfHYb8HWc[/YOUTUBE]

HoustonIllini

Houston, TX
What a game. So proud of the guys for pulling that out. Dan Hawkins is the most anti-Illini color guy out there. That was beyond annoying but I can put up with that if we win! So relieved.

Hawkins SO sucks! I can't stand his voice, and every other comment sounded like he wanted to have D'Antoni's child out of wedlock!:huh:

BZuppke

Plainfield
Great day at Memorial. The effect of the coaching is starting to show. The offense did so much in the second half when you consider we had only one drive in the first half. I believe we're on to something here.

ritster

Wheaton, IL
Most fun I have had in Memorial Stadium in years. When is the last time that we beat Michigan State in Memorial Stadium? This felt like a Mike White type of game to me. This was fun.

breadman

Herndon, VA
OK, so I am going to unabashedly call my own number out here if you look through the game thread, at the half, leading 7-6, I called the final of 31-28, good guys due to the offenses being allowed to strech it out after a half of seeing what the other team had to offer. So there!

Whatever we're paying Garrick McGee, it isn't enough. No one in college football has done more with less this year.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
I'll just add this, it's hard for me to remember the last time the Illinois defense laid the lumber to an opposing team like they did today. The sounds of the hits from the sidelines was incredible.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Most fun I have had in Memorial Stadium in years. When is the last time that we beat Michigan State in Memorial Stadium? This felt like a Mike White type of game to me. This was fun.

Looks like the last time the Illini beat the Spartans in Memorial Stadium was in 1992, 14-10. Last time they won in East Lansing was 2006, 23-20.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Couldn't watch the game live (but I rarely do) but did DVR it. Looking forward to watching it knowing that, at the end, I will see a "W."

From the comments above by those who were there it sounds like a great day all around. One of these days the wife and I will make a trek back to Memorial Stadium and witness it all live.

:shield:

chief78

Florida
Just a really good win for the Illini! Some good offensive adjustments in the second half and the defense did just enough to get the win.

Deleted member 4960

D
Nail Biter, but hey they pulled it out. Nice to get a win against Michigan State. I would agree that the announcers were acting like the Illini were favored.

Happy for the team and Lovie. McGee will pay off bigger in the off seasons if he can bring in the type of talent he brought in at Louisville.

Huge win, I'm curious to see what JGJ can do the rest of the season. I know he's not what McGee wants on offense but I'm rooting so hard for this kid

Last edited:

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
Huge win, I'm curious to see what JGJ can do the rest of the season. I know he's not what McGee wants on offense but I'm rooting so hard for this kid

They need to keep the ball more than 18 minutes. They are fortunate that Sparty could not win the game despite 42 minutes of possession. Also of note, Illinois' first five possessions of the game were 3-and-outs.

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH
They need to keep the ball more than 18 minutes. They are fortunate that Sparty could not win the game despite 42 minutes of possession. Also of note, Illinois' first five possessions of the game were 3-and-outs.

Defense got stops when needed too though.

On Friday night, I took the wife and kids to see Dr. Strange at the IMAX. While standing in line to get in, the entire football team came in through a side entrance, picked up an enormous amount of popcorn that had been set out for them, and started making their way to whatever movie they were going to see that night.

My wife gave them a big hand and loudly wished them good luck tomorrow. A little later Jalen Dunbar came over, thanked us for the support, wished us a good evening, and gave my 10-year old son a high-five.

So it was so awesome to see Dunbar have such a great game. A big fumble recovery and a couple passes broken up, one on a really hard hit.

New favorite player!

Glaze72

Woodridge, IL
Anyone know if this will be replayed on BTN? I missed it (family obligations) and would love to see it.

Thanks.

On Friday night, I took the wife and kids to see Dr. Strange at the IMAX. While standing in line to get in, the entire football team came in through a side entrance, picked up an enormous amount of popcorn that had been set out for them, and started making their way to whatever movie they were going to see that night.

My wife gave them a big hand and loudly wished them good luck tomorrow. A little later Jalen Dunbar came over, thanked us for the support, wished us a good evening, and gave my 10-year old son a high-five.

So it was so awesome to see Dunbar have such a great game. A big fumble recovery and a couple passes broken up, one on a really hard hit.

New favorite player!

*psst...the Jaylen part is right, but it's Dunlap, not Dunbar*:thumb: