Illinois 37, Michigan State 34 POSTGAME

Deleted member 654622

D
I was very surprised to not see Cooper without both Hansen and Eifler. Is he just not good enough? Is he just planning to redshirt? Anyone know what's going on with him?
His mom tweeted that they all knew he wasn't going to play because he had a "virus" that was going around campus.

Deleted member 654622

D
LOL, might need to give me a day to rewatch it. Difficult to analyze things schematically when you’re losing your mind.

Tolson did not have a day to remember, however. I don’t think he knows the calls.
Got my pregame answer on Tolson, the time Milan replayed him running to opposite side of the field while it was a run play directly at him.....ehhhhh

Deleted member 654622

D
I need to just say that for the most part I didn't get into the game thread. So I just grabbed some coffee and went through the 20ish pages for pure entertainment. Hats off to @The Process !!! That bro was fulling on board with the positive post even while getting our ace kicked at the beginning.

Deleted member 654622

D
Key for this defense is stopping the run. When we can get teams in 3rd an long (ya I know that is every team really) we have a great opportunity to get that turnover, not just stops

I need to just say that for the most part I didn't get into the game thread. So I just grabbed some coffee and went through the 20ish pages for pure entertainment. Hats off to @The Process !!! That bro was fulling on board with the positive post even while getting our ace kicked at the beginning.
I was in no mood for positivity. Process, your posts were making me angry, but it's not you it's me.

Question about the substitution thing: how long does the defense get? I mean, if there's 20 seconds left when the offense makes subs, the defense can't just take 20 seconds to make subs, right? For example, below is when the Illini made a substitution. There are 22 seconds left with a running game clock. Even if MSU makes subs, Illinois is still going to get the play off, right? Or does MSU get all day long?

1573433519584.png

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Not gonna lie...so, this time I turned off the game, in utter disgust at 21-3. Was watching the Blackhawks game when I decided to check this site. Holy mother! Fortunately, I didn't delete the recording. Still can't hardly believe it. Minor miracle of the major variety.

Lotta fight in this team. Love it.

Question about the substitution thing: how long does the defense get? I mean, if there's 20 seconds left when the offense makes subs, the defense can't just take 20 seconds to make subs, right? For example, below is when the Illini made a substitution. There are 22 seconds left with a running game clock. Even if MSU makes subs, Illinois is still going to get the play off, right? Or does MSU get all day long?

View attachment 5099

Unless it has changed in the last year, they get 3 seconds to initiate a substitution. If they fail to properly substitute in their players within this time frame, they can by rule be called for delay of game (Or the referee can simply signal the ball as spotted and start the game clock).

THAT SAID, I don’t recall having seen this enforced in an actual game. I don’t know how officiating crews would call it.

Got my pregame answer on Tolson, the time Milan replayed him running to opposite side of the field while it was a run play directly at him.....ehhhhh

I’m not gonna go there just yet. He’s still a young kid making his first start, we’ll see how camp goes for him next year and how he looks in the early 3.

From what I did jot down yesterday, MSU ran 16 plays on their first 3 drives and Tolson was out of position on 13 or 14 of them. I have to rewatch it so that has a margin of error but the overall play from the kid was pretty bad. I don’t think he knows the calls.

Deleted member 29907

D
Unless it has changed in the last year, they get 3 seconds to initiate a substitution. If they fail to properly substitute in their players within this time frame, they can by rule be called for delay of game (Or the referee can simply signal the ball as spotted and start the game clock).

THAT SAID, I don’t recall having seen this enforced in an actual game. I don’t know how officiating crews would call it.
We took advantage of a slow played subbing against Purdue as I recall - end of first half?

We took advantage of a slow played subbing against Purdue as I recall - end of first half?

Yup, did it in the Nebraska game as well, 3rd quarter. This is a well known loophole that coaches exploit. Smart.

This one was actually a potentially damaging blunder. It was only 2nd down. With how much clock ticked off for the subs and the slow developing play Rod called, if that ball to Barker was incomplete we only get one more play and the game ends on 3rd down. We should have been treating that situation as if we needed all 4 downs and preserved the clock as such.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
Yup, did it in the Nebraska game as well, 3rd quarter. This is a well known loophole that coaches exploit. Smart.

This one was actually a potentially damaging blunder. It was only 2nd down. With how much clock ticked off for the subs and the slow developing play Rod called, if that ball to Barker was incomplete we only get one more play and the game ends on 3rd down. We should have been treating that situation as if we needed all 4 downs and preserved the clock as such.

Didn’t we take advantage of this at some point during the MSU game? Causing MSU to get a delay of game penalty?

Deleted member 654622

D

Didnt a PAC 12 team lose a game vs an SEC team a few years ago when they brought thier kicking unit of the field? The refs wernt allowing them to snap the ball for the game winning kick and the clock ran out.
Anyone remember that?

Deleted member 654622

D
I’m not gonna go there just yet. He’s still a young kid making his first start, we’ll see how camp goes for him next year and how he looks in the early 3.

From what I did jot down yesterday, MSU ran 16 plays on their first 3 drives and Tolson was out of position on 13 or 14 of them. I have to rewatch it so that has a margin of error but the overall play from the kid was pretty bad. I don’t think he knows the calls.
Ya I'm not saying to write him off completely. He is still got plenty of time to learn. I'll just say I really wont feel confident if he has to play anymore this year while being surrounded by other 2nd and 3rd stingers

Deleted member 654622

D
I have been holding this in all year and now can post it. Remember last year when Northwestern beat us with thier 2nd string players and Fitz said post game that he felt confident they would win with the players he had on the field? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I hope we do that and Lovie says the EXACT same thing post game

Didnt a PAC 12 team lose a game vs an SEC team a few years ago when they brought thier kicking unit of the field? The refs wernt allowing them to snap the ball for the game winning kick and the clock ran out.
Anyone remember that?

I do not. That would change some things. You did say a few years ago, I’m pretty sure this 3 second rule was in affect last season. Maybe that’s a new thing, I couldn’t say for sure.

I do know the rule states(or stated) that a failure to properly substitute defensively could result in a delay of game. I don’t think they have an unlimited time frame to get their personnel sorted.

Deleted member 654622

D
I do not. That would change some things. You did say a few years ago, I’m pretty sure this 3 second rule was in affect last season. Maybe that’s a new thing, I couldn’t say for sure.

I do know the rule states(or stated) that a failure to properly substitute defensively could result in a delay of game. I don’t think they have an unlimited time frame to get their personnel sorted.
I really don't know why the refs were stopping them from snapping the ball, I do remember the game though. Im gonna do some digging

Deleted member 19448

D
Can you imagine being an Alabama football fan? Duke basketball fan? They have never felt anything close to how we are feeling today.
I’m a Cub fan and also and the feeling of 2016 could only be duplicated by Illini football or basketball. Fans of teams that win a lot just don’t understand. That is why even tho Fleck is a bit of a goof I’d love to see Minny run the table this year. Score one for the down trodden

Deleted member 19448

D
I have been holding this in all year and now can post it. Remember last year when Northwestern beat us with thier 2nd string players and Fitz said post game that he felt confident they would win with the players he had on the field? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I hope we do that and Lovie says the EXACT same thing post game
Not me I hope we beat the hell out of them with our best guys to get to 7 or maybe 8 wins. Send the message on the field. Fitzy has diarrhea of the mouth sometimes.

Previous play BL had a qb run and it looked like he was shaken up on the play....no stoppage for injury. Think it was 3rd down on INT but not sure. Was hoping for a longer passing play, thought BL could make a bad decision/throw if his head wasn’t right, and he did.

I remember seeing him slow to get up and my immediate thought was, "Well now you have to sell out on the run because there is no way they are going to throw it after that."

I shouldn't have been wrong, but glad I was.

Deleted member 654622

D
Not me I hope we beat the hell out of them with our best guys to get to 7 or maybe 8 wins. Send the message on the field. Fitzy has diarrhea of the mouth sometimes.
A little confused here, winning with the second string still gives us another win taking us to at least 7 wins.