Illinois 62, Penn State 56 POSTGAME

Chevy Chase, Maryland
Am so glad I was listening to game on radio and not watching Ayo's runner to put it away. Would have needed a defibrillator when he was two steps into lane.šŸ˜…

Reactions: BillyBob1
Morrison, CO
Huge win. All access in the huddle shows how big of a leader Feliz is. Quiet confidence everyone looks to.
Think listening to the coaches got old quick but what was fun was watching our guys interact. That is a TEAM!

Reactions: TheFameProtector, TruIllini89, Bleedorangeandblue44 and 3 others
chambers says don't foul down 2 with 29.5 sec.??? Penn state needs a better coach..

Shot clock was reset to 20. They had a foul to give so a quick foul doesn't put anyone on the line. If Ayo misses the shot they have ten seconds to tie or win. Not the call I would have made but not indefensible. Is it was, Ayo hit the teardrop and blew it all up.

Reactions: Chuck15, FiveStar, Krombopulos_Michael and 1 other person
Baltimore, MD
no minutes for Tev somewhat surprising. he seemed to be more involved over the last several weeks

Reactions: TheFameProtector, MiniDee11 and UpstateRusty
chambers says don't foul down 2 with 29.5 sec.??? Penn state needs a better coach..
There was 19 seconds on the shot clock because it resets to 20 seconds not 30. Fouling there would have been asinine.

Reactions: Alfonz24, drsmitty74, Illini Farmer and 1 other person
Love seeing the team encourage DMW

Reactions: Chukwuwumba, MiniDee11, STLIlliniMike and 3 others
I wrote a couple of weeks ago that Penn St. was a lot better than Illinois. I've never been happier to look so idiotic! Great game by Ayo, and great defensive game plan by the coaches, imo.

Reactions: Illwinsagain and foby
Shot clock was reset to 20. they had a foul to give so a quick foul doesn't put anyone on the line. If Ayo misses the shot they have ten seconds to tie or win. Not the call I would have made but not indefensible. Is it was, Ayo hit the teardrop and blew it all up.
I thought he started the huddle saying foul to extend the game, and then ended the huddle saying no foul.

Reactions: 2008NRESGrad, IlliniTwig89, MiniDee11 and 3 others
great road wins at Purdue, Wisc, Penn St, and Michigan. That is awesome . 3 one point losses were so close too. Needed this! Huge Huge Huge rebound and bucket in the lane by Dre cant be overlooked!

Reactions: 2008NRESGrad, the national, Chukwuwumba and 3 others
Winged Warrior
no minutes for Tev somewhat surprising. he seemed to be more involved over the last several weeks

I'm almost 100% sure this was because of defense. We shut down Stevens.

Reactions: MiniDee11 and foby
Ayo is ridiculous. And shutting PSU down on their home court??? Wow. Huge defensive effort all around. Stevens is no joke and he had to earn everything.

Reactions: MiniDee11

Chambers has been through ALOT at PSU, he has suffered some horrendous seasons, the debacle at the college, so many losses, and now he has them in the Top 10 (okay maybe not now) and contending for C-Ship and going to the NCAA Tournament....I would say PSU is lucky to have him, has about what they could want/afford...and he is good enough for that college for sure!

Reactions: 2008NRESGrad, Alfonz24, IlliniTwig89 and 8 others
I thought he started the huddle saying foul to extend the game, and then ended the huddle saying no foul.
well with only a 20 second shot clock and it may have worked if not for a great board by Dre once again!

Reactions: Chukwuwumba, Rainier Wolfcastle and jrmarcus
Chicago,IL
Did Tev play?
Also, love to see Giorgi with a(n apparent) positive attitude on the bench.

Reactions: MiniDee11
Nice win to stay on the right side of NCAA field. Take care of business and improve offensive efficiency and it will be a great season.

Reactions: redwingillini11
We're better on the road than at home lol
You joke, but you might be right. There seems to be a focus there when they're on the road. At home, they're schizophrenic. It's almost like they don't know how to harness their emotions. On the road....they're nails.

Reactions: IlliniTwig89, the national, Chukwuwumba and 3 others
Shot clock was reset to 20. They had a foul to give so a quick foul doesn't put anyone on the line. If Ayo misses the shot they have ten seconds to tie or win. Not the call I would have made but not indefensible. Is it was, Ayo hit the teardrop and blew it all up.
They had 6 fouls, Illini would have been shooting

Huuuuuuuuuge win. Ayo makes a huge difference. Welcome back.

Reactions: the national, MiniDee11 and bert1991
By the way, the announcers kept talking about this being the first road win vs. a ranked team since 2014, but...

1) It's the first road win vs. a top TEN team since our 2012-13 squad won at #10 Gonzaga, and...

2) It's the first road CONFERENCE win vs. a top ten team since our 2008-09 squad won in OT at #9 Purdue to start off the conference season, AND...

3) It's the latest in the season we have beaten a top ten team, in-conference, on the road since 1989 at #8 Michigan!!!

GREAT job, boys!

Reactions: Dren1, 2008NRESGrad, IlliniTwig89 and 17 others
Champaign
Am so glad I was listening to game on radio and not watching Ayo's runner to put it away. Would have needed a defibrillator when he was two steps into lane.šŸ˜…

#21 turned and set an illegal pick. Contact was made, more than the contact caled on Frazier earlier.

Reactions: the national
Chicagoland
I will be honest. I did not think we would win this game. Even with Ayo back. But this was huge. May even push us back into rankings as long as we take care of Nebraska

They were plying great defense- there was only 17 seconds on shot clock. They forced us to 3 shot clock violations and 5 horrible shot selections.. I thought it was a good call. Ayo just stepped up and made a play. Gotta tip your hat

Reactions: 2008NRESGrad and IlliniTwig89
And what did they shoot on FTs, 56%? With the FTs they win by 10 pts.

keep on truckin
joe