Illinois 79, Purdue 62 POSTGAME

I looked at the updated cbs NET rankings. Illinois is still #40 (no movement after going in the road and whipping the boilers) Purdue is still #38. This makes no sense whatsoever
Illinois now 32, Purdue 38. They numbers probably hadn't been updated when you looked.

Just want to throw in my two cents here since I’m still giddy after waking up.

1) Let me get this out of the way, the HRF/Sergio/Lucas/Bradford etc. team above was probably my favorite Illini team ever. More than ‘89, more than ‘05.
2) If we make a run to the 2nd weekend, the exposure that bring may certainly mean Kofi is gone. I’m not sure people though Deron Williams was a for sure early entry candidate until after they saw him in the tournament, even after we dismantled Wake Forest and Chris Paul and whoever their 2nd guard was that they were hyping as the best backcourt in the nation. After that game the consensus was Illinois had the best backcourt, but people still thought Chris Paul over DW and it wasn’t close until after the tournament.
3) incredibly impressive win, and although we shot lights out, even if our percentages are more pedestrian, I still think we win. We beat Purdue in all aspects.
4) I’m not sure Ayo is an All Star NBA player, as I still think he’ll struggle to get some of his shots at the next level and sometimes he loses the ball inexplicably for someone with such handle, but he’s a sure fire pro. He’s mature, handles the Media incredibly well, and no situation is too big for him. He’s got his head on straight and they take chances on guys who are the same talent but wild cards as far as behavior, I can’t imagine anyone not thinking of him as a safe pick who will work on his game and continue to get better.
5) AGs deal was stupid, and this isn’t the first time he’s done something like that then throw his hands up like “what did I do”. I was glad BU handled the situation like he did. If someone does that in a pick up game, they better be ready to fight, cause that’s what’s happening. Him throwing his hands up is like punching someone in the nuts when they aren’t looking (which it looked like he tried to do) then running away. I hope it’s a learning experience as we need his energy and shooting...but he’s making it hard to root for him if he continues to do things that go from “gamesmanship” to “unsportsmanlike”.

On the AG thing, I think it was BS and selfish. And I don't buy it really being retaliatory. To me it looked to measured. If he had kicked him a bit right after -- OK, still BS and selfish, but possibly retaliatory and done in the anger of the moment. But he stepped on his stomach and made sure not to stomp. So it wasn't just a reaction in anger, he knew what he was doing and it was bush. Also, though I'm sure it wasn't the intent of the posters but I've seen several posts with the gist of "how stupid of him, doesn't he know there are all those cameras on him." Even if there were no cameras, that is not something he should do.

I have no problem if he is suspended, and I hope AG learns from it. No place for that and he is too important to the team to be doing things that warrant being tossed and suspended. If he is suspended, I hope he sits and learns -- and then comes out hitting 3s when the suspension is over.

Doing it with cameras on him just makes it extra dumb. Yes, it was wrong in general.

The fact that he threw his hands up like "Whut Bruh?!?" afterwards amplifies that point even more.

AG should write a thank you note to KSU and KU players for overshadowing his unsportsmanlike behavior. If it hadn’t been for them, he could have been in the media crosshairs to a much greater degree. Coach Self & Coach Weber must be so proud.
Hopefully Alan learns from it. He is too good and too important to his team to pull garbage like that.

4-0 at home, 2-2 on the road. Winning all your conference home games and splitting your road games is a nice recipe for success.

In the glow, splitting the remaining road games seems doable. But winning the rest of the home games is still a TALL order.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Giorgi continues to hit a decent percentage of his outside shots, we become a much, much more difficult team to defend. Always thought his stroke looked good. Very nice to see him have success. Was a point of emphasis for him this offseason and it's clear that he's worked at it.

I'm all for kicking Purdue while they are down, over and over again if you get the chance..... Lots of virtue signaling on this board.
For sure man. We are definitely here on this board to vIRtUE SiGnAl for fake internet points and don’t actually think stepping on opposing players is not a good thing. 100%.

Great win all around. We sure owned Purdue this season (and in football too!).

Re Kofi and Ayo going into the draft: I seem to remember Deron Williams said he left Illinois for the draft because of financial pressures at home. He needed the money because his mom was ill and it would have been against NCAA rules for anyone to help financially. I seem to remember that he said if could do it all over again and his mother had not been sick, he would have stayed with Illinois for his senior year. That season with the Illini is something that can never be replaced.

I think he said something like that to Ayo.

Maybe I heard/remember incorrectly, but we can only hope that Ayo's unfinished business with the Fighting Illini includes two more seasons after this one. And Kofi too, of course. Hey, if you were a basketball player, are you going to say nope to Deron?

I would have hollered about that then too, if I wasn't just a teenager. It's just not how fellow man should treat each other during a game in my opinion.

AG should write a thank you note to KSU and KU players for overshadowing his unsportsmanlike behavior. If it hadn’t been for them, he could have been in the media crosshairs to a much greater degree. Coach Self & Coach Weber must be so proud.
Hopefully Alan learns from it. He is too good and too important to his team to pull garbage like that.
The opening highlight on Sportscenter was the KU vs KSU game. The next game shown was the Ill vs PU game. First highlight shown was not a made basket or a defensive play. It was AG stepping on the Purdue player. First time I see Illinois all year on Sportscenter and that was what they showed.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
The opening highlight on Sportscenter was the KU vs KSU game. The next game shown was the Ill vs PU game. First highlight shown was not a made basket or a defensive play. It was AG stepping on the Purdue player. First time I see Illinois all year on Sportscenter and that was what they showed.
If it bleeds, it leads.

Re Kofi and Ayo going into the draft: I seem to remember Deron Williams said he left Illinois for the draft because of financial pressures at home. He needed the money because his mom was ill and it would have been against NCAA rules for anyone to help financially. I seem to remember that he said if could do it all over again and his mother had not been sick, he would have stayed with Illinois for his senior year. That season with the Illini is something that can never be replaced.

I think he said something like that to Ayo.

Maybe I heard/remember incorrectly, but we can only hope that Ayo's unfinished business with the Fighting Illini includes two more seasons after this one. And Kofi too, of course. Hey, if you were a basketball player, are you going to say nope to Deron?
With two more seasons Ayo would graduate. (maybe a semester earlier depending on credits per semester and summer classes). He is a smart kid. I would not doubt him graduating, but I think this is the last year. I dont think being a four year player was ever in the cards. He is playing good, besides some ball handling issues and unforced turnovers. You could argue that he has hurt his draft stock by coming back. If he puts up 18 & 11 every game then he will be ok and his stock will rise. Mock drafts had him in the lottery to begin the year. Its a better chance that Kofi comes back to keep improving his conditioning and shooting. He had been running the floor well , avoiding fouls and hasn't been tiring as he was earlier in the year.

Deleted member 4960

D
With two more seasons Ayo would graduate. (maybe a semester earlier depending on credits per semester and summer classes). He is a smart kid. I would not doubt him graduating, but I think this is the last year. I dont think being a four year player was ever in the cards. He is playing good, besides some ball handling issues and unforced turnovers. You could argue that he has hurt his draft stock by coming back. If he puts up 18 & 11 every game then he will be ok and his stock will rise. Mock drafts had him in the lottery to begin the year. Its a better chance that Kofi comes back to keep improving his conditioning and shooting. He had been running the floor well , avoiding fouls and hasn't been tiring as he was earlier in the year.
He hasn’t hurt his draft stock. He wasn’t going to get drafted last year and that’s why he came back. He is definitely improved, could use a little more work on his handles. He keeps playing like this he will be a 1st rounder.

evidently you didnt watch sportscenter last night they made sure the nation seen what AG did

One of the great things about this win for me is that it has me more excited to watch B1G basketball. Always try to watch Illini games, and will catch a few minutes or maybe a half of other games some days just flipping through channels. With this win, I'm definitely going to try and catch as much of the Rutgers game as I can manage tonight, and maybe even a little of the Michigan game.