Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Cam. Hopefully he ends up being really good. Hard to get excited when their team is 1-8, but who knows. Crazier things have happened.

Everyone seems very strung tight about making sure Mike Epstein does not flip from Illinois. Are other schools on him strong? Just seeing that he's a 3 star RB makes me wonder what all the worry is there. I could very well be ignorant to the situation there.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/story/1674168-qb-cam-thomas-commits-to-illini

Highlight: ""(Lovie) said that he needed me to really get on board and to try hard to get others on board as well,"

If he can recruit other key in-state guys, huge pickup.

Edit, even better: "Now, Thomas starts a new role with the Illini: recruiter.
"I've got a few in mind," Thomas said. "They are in-state kids. We need the in-state kids to stay and make Illinois great again."'

I think this is a great pickup because at worst, you can move him to wr if he doesn't pan out at qb. He's a great athlete with a fast 40 time and he stands 6'2". I think Lovie and McGee wanted him badly so it's good they got him locked down quickly.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Welcome Cam!

Now with Smalling, Smith, and Thomas, we seem to be making solid inroads in the Chicago area.

CUWPC

Geneva, IL
Great get! I think the coaches pushed hard because they see this kid has talent. They are confident in their ability to mold him and turn him into a solid QB. It seems that the arm and athleticism is there, now he'll get the coaching to work on technique. The hardest part is reading defenses and recognizing plays.

Great get! I think the coaches pushed hard because they see this kid has talent. They are confident in their ability to mold him and turn him into a solid QB. It seems that the arm and athleticism is there, now he'll get the coaching to work on technique. The hardest part is reading defenses and recognizing plays.

That's a big portion of it. They also pushed hard cause other B1G schools were hot on his tail, and about to offer if he remained uncommitted for a few more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illinidarrin

from parts unknown
Are we on the verge of getting Kevin Howard? His twitter seems to indicate it.

Deleted member 228346

D
Edit, even better: "Now, Thomas starts a new role with the Illini: recruiter.
"I've got a few in mind," Thomas said. "They are in-state kids. We need the in-state kids to stay and make Illinois great again."'

I really hope this slogan doesn't stick.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I don't see anything wrong with wanting to make something great again. Whether it's the good ol' USofA, Illini Football, Basketball, or any other thing that has perhaps fallen below the standards of past glory.

Seems like a Scheelhause type of QB. Decently mobile, not great arm strength but solid accuracy.

People here keep saying not good arm strength but Werner reports the opposite. I believe Cam was rated top qb or one of at the recent camp or whatever in Chicago.

People here keep saying not good arm strength but Werner reports the opposite. I believe Cam was rated top qb or one of at the recent camp or whatever in Chicago.

He scored the highest for a qb. His numbers were off the charts. IIRC, he ran a 4.59 forty on a 40-50 degree day, and the wind swirling.

robertgoulet

IL Board Resident Crooner
Austin, TX
Any connections to any of the 7 looking to get out of LOIs at Baylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.