Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I can verify that (at least 20 years ago I can).

I ran a lowly 10.8 and walked on at U of I. I was a mere practice dummy for the other guys to feel good about themselves as they blew past me running 9.9+ and 10 flat. I survived 2-3 months before I quit to focus on school however.

Track fast out of the blocks or with a batton is different than football fast running in pads however but speed overall will translate
Must have been some serious exaggerating going on since 10 flat will get you into the Olympic finals most times.

#1,404      
We weren't doing yards in the 90s. Most likely relay splits. For example, Illinois has a 39.40 4x100 this year and only ranked 7th in the west regional.

Plus, world of difference between dropping a fast time in a practice when you're having a good day, and being able to do it on demand at a meet after rounds.

But we're moving off topic.

#1,405      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Yards. And yes, there were 2 guys on the team that got to try out for the Olympics and one won the big ten title in the 100m, top 20 in the nation
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Surprised they were still using yards and not meters into the 90s, though.

#1,406      
It gets you to state in IL.

This is why I don’t flinch when we lose out on Illinois guys, especially speed positions (wr/db/rb). A lot of of track and field athletes carry over from football, and most of the sprinters come from those positions.

10.91 gets you to state in Illinois. You probably don’t qualify for state in Texas/Florida (I had 10.8 guy 2 years ago that got knocked out 3 rounds before state). The quality of athletes is just better in the south for some reason. It is easier to turn athletes into players than players into athletes. The football they’re playing is at a higher level too, so not only are they better base athletes, the average football player is better too.

#1,407      
This is why I don’t flinch when we lose out on Illinois guys, especially speed positions (wr/db/rb). A lot of of track and field athletes carry over from football, and most of the sprinters come from those positions.

10.91 gets you to state in Illinois. You probably don’t qualify for state in Texas/Florida (I had 10.8 guy 2 years ago that got knocked out 3 rounds before state). The quality of athletes is just better in the south for some reason. It is easier to turn athletes into players than players into athletes. The football they’re playing is at a higher level too, so not only are they better base athletes, the average football player is better too.

11.0 in the 100M was Florida State Automatic Qualifier for 2018 (based on 6 year average of the 6th place finish)

#1,408      
11.0 in the 100M was Florida State Automatic Qualifier for 2018 (based on 6 year average of the 6th place finish)

10.6-10.85 qualified for state finals (what I mean when I say state) in Florida 4A

10.48-10.77 was the range for 1st-8th place in the finals.

If I was a college football coach, id be hanging out recruiting at high school track meets (assuming that’s allowable)

#1,409      
10.6-10.85 qualified for state finals (what I mean when I say state) in Florida 4A

If I was a college football coach, id be hanging out recruiting at high school track meets (assuming that’s allowable)

Yeah, I agree. Also, I think I may have been quoting another state (sorry folks)...searched for State of Florida, but now that I look at the association name, may have been.......South Dakota?

#1,410      

I'd be hanging out by the discus finals getting an O-line.

Really, HS football coaches should be pushing their kids into track and field.

#1,412      
I'd be hanging out by the discus finals getting an O-line.

Really, HS football coaches should be pushing their kids into track and field.

Exactly to both points. In the most football crazy places, with super athletes and great competition, they won’t let you play football if you don’t do track. And you will do track because if you don’t someone will take your spot. Not weird to see a school roll up with 100 track athletes because of this around here.

#1,414      
Carlos Sandy has a 10.71 PR 100m.

Since Julian Hylton (10.68 PR 100m - state runner up 3A) has apparently left the team, that should make Sandy the fastest guy on the team next year as a freshman.

#1,416      
Here's a blast from the past: remember Miguel/Michael Hermosillo, the RB from Ottawa who committed to us but chose to play pro baseball instead?

He's playing right field and batting 9th in his major league debut for the Angels tonight. Good for him.

#1,417      
Here's a blast from the past: remember Miguel/Michael Hermosillo, the RB from Ottawa who committed to us but chose to play pro baseball instead?

He's playing right field and batting 9th in his major league debut for the Angels tonight. Good for him.

That’s great to hear sticking with your dreams, and even turning down D1 football and make it pro in baseball.

#1,418      

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Exactly to both points. In the most football crazy places, with super athletes and great competition, they won’t let you play football if you don’t do track. And you will do track because if you don’t someone will take your spot. Not weird to see a school roll up with 100 track athletes because of this around here.

Because really back in the day, track was the only thing in the spring, and without all the athletic facilities, that's how you developed your athletes in their "off season."

If there really was an off-season. Guys moved seamlessly from fall to winter to spring sports in many cases. Call it crosstraining.

#1,419      
Because really back in the day, track was the only thing in the spring, and without all the athletic facilities, that's how you developed your athletes in their "off season."

I was there back in that day, and we had a thing called baseball. The "athletes" played football first, then basketball, then baseball. The rest spilled over into track to join us distance running geeks.

#1,421      
I think is's another addition to '18
Juco WR Dominic Stampley, originally from Champaign. Lots of speed, but not much production or actual football over the last couple of years.

#1,422      
I thought Texas has spring football? How do football players do both?

One of the criticism of Illinois football, the state that is, regarding development of players.

Texas does have spring football. You can work it around track, and vice versa. For example, the state meet was last week, but most track athletes were done a month before that. Then obviously every round of the track “playoffs” more kids get knocked out.

Next year I will be at a new school and they’re in spring football now, even with just a couple weeks of school left. My new basketball team has been in a spring league without the football guys because of this.

The school I’m leaving chooses not to do spring football because you can add more practices to your preseason if you don’t do spring football. So the options are there, just up to the schools.

#1,423      

PJD86

Texas
Billingsley names Florida his leader, according to the 247 Florida guys.....

#1,424      
Billingsley names Florida his leader, according to the 247 Florida guys.....

I wouldn’t read much into that poster. He is a Florida reporter and picks Florida for a lot of people to get clicks. My understanding is that billinglsey wants to see improvement with wins and I’m not sure we will deliver. If we don’t deliver, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended there.

#1,425      
I wouldn’t read much into that poster. He is a Florida reporter and picks Florida for a lot of people to get clicks. My understanding is that billinglsey wants to see improvement with wins and I’m not sure we will deliver. If we don’t deliver, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended there.

Are we truly living in a world where Florida football is a backup plan to Illinois football?

Status
Not open for further replies.