Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a random question but does anyone have a realistic expectation for this class by amount of players per position/names that are looking at us? Would like to hear so I know where to put my expectations at for the end result of this class. Thanks.
Just something to help if you are wondering about offers to players and where we are at with some. The number in parenthesis is number of seniors at that position.
2020-05-27 (2).png

my 2 cents:

we aren’t on track to get top end Illinois talent, at least not consistently. At this point, winning is more important than recruiting. Failing to win leaves him with no job. Focus on winning first over the next two years.

Lovie is considered a celebrity as he is a household name. So spread your wings and resources. Especially at this point, where Atlanta and Florida kids are happy to have the opportunity to meet Lovie and the parents love his presence. The expansion into Georgia and Florida wasn’t a decision made lightly and it was a calculated use of resources.

I am not implying that we ignore Illinois. And, I think we start to establish our footprint across the country and after winning start pursuing Illinois more vigorously And more thoroughly establish the relationship. To titles point, there are Areas in Illinois where we have had considerable success, I think it’s a mistake not to hit those areas hard and strengthen the relationships and Chase the kids. I don’t think it’s an accident. And, I understand that without winning and Lovie keeping the job, those relationships don’t matter.

my 2 cents:

we aren’t on track to get top end Illinois talent, at least not consistently. At this point, winning is more important than recruiting. Failing to win leaves him with no job. Focus on winning first over the next two years.

Lovie is considered a celebrity as he is a household name. So spread your wings and resources. Especially at this point, where Atlanta and Florida kids are happy to have the opportunity to meet Lovie and the parents love his presence. The expansion into Georgia and Florida wasn’t a decision made lightly and it was a calculated use of resources.

I am not implying that we ignore Illinois. And, I think we start to establish our footprint across the country and after winning start pursuing Illinois more vigorously And more thoroughly establish the relationship. To titles point, there are Areas in Illinois where we have had considerable success, I think it’s a mistake not to hit those areas hard and strengthen the relationships and Chase the kids. I don’t think it’s an accident. And, I understand that without winning and Lovie keeping the job, those relationships don’t matter.
People also seem to forget that beyond the consistently mediocre results of the past 30 years these high school coaches have seen first hand the mismanagement/dysfunction at the top of our athletic programs and the dumpster fire of our last couple coaching situations. On top of that the very dysfunctional relationship with the state government with U of I as a whole. They also I'm sure they hear of the grumbling of many boosters about Lovie and also could see that he was a couple of very fortunate wins away from being on a crazy hot seat this year(or worse). We need a nice 5-10 years of stability and consistent winning before I think we can expect to counteract this awful past to get back in the good graces of much of IHSA football.

Last edited:
Sounds like a commit is coming this weekend. Think it might be Joriell Washington, a safety out of Fort Meyers. Could also maybe be Justin Macias or Hutson lillebridge, we are doing well with those guys as well.
what’s your opinion on these players?

what’s your opinion on these players?
Joriell Washington- super long, think he's listed at like 6'3. Good ball skills and really likes to come up and make plays. Big hitter and plays like it, can even rush the passer off the edge. Lacks top end speed though and gets lost/is late to spots within coverage. I don't think he's a free safety at the next level, more of a strong safety. Still a solid prospect with other P5 offers.

Justin Macias- really, really like this evaluation. He's a LB/S tweener (6'0, 195) so he's likely to play the star role they want to start using. Physical kid, average speed at safety but great speed for a LB, decent tackler, but can leave a little to desired in terms of pass defense. Also doesn't read a ton of plays for his team, he sorta just flies around. Love this kid.

Hutson Lillibridge- big kid 6'4 300, and has surprising athleticism for his lack of speed. Just a very solid overall G/C prospect. Good feet and has nice lateral quickness. He lacks top end traits but has a really high floor.

I’ll guess Jackson Hamilton as next commit. No logic, other than recent commits seem to be guys we are not too much in the know about. And maybe some of that GA pipeline too.

Lillibridge is a HS teammate of Wisecarver. Not sure that ever benefits us, but fun nonetheless.

Joriell Washington- super long, think he's listed at like 6'3. Good ball skills and really likes to come up and make plays. Big hitter and plays like it, can even rush the passer off the edge. Lacks top end speed though and gets lost/is late to spots within coverage. I don't think he's a free safety at the next level, more of a strong safety. Still a solid prospect with other P5 offers.

Justin Macias- really, really like this evaluation. He's a LB/S tweener (6'0, 195) so he's likely to play the star role they want to start using. Physical kid, average speed at safety but great speed for a LB, decent tackler, but can leave a little to desired in terms of pass defense. Also doesn't read a ton of plays for his team, he sorta just flies around. Love this kid.

Hutson Lillibridge- big kid 6'4 300, and has surprising athleticism for his lack of speed. Just a very solid overall G/C prospect. Good feet and has nice lateral quickness. He lacks top end traits but has a really high floor.
Awesome. I appreciate the analysis! Washington/Macias sound like potential LB types to me. Let’s keep the commits rolling.

I'm being serious. It's not simply "winning." Arkansas has a top 30 class and Bielema drove that program to low-tiered mediocrity. North Carolina is getting guys and even Purdue. We're not talking about top programs like Alabama, Ohio State and LSU. Even Tennessee is making a resurgence in recruiting and they haven't been much of a program since Fulmer was the coach. So again I'm asking, what are these players getting or what do they perceive they can get elsewhere?
Georgia Tech is also killing it.

There's always some reason why we can't recruit well or win - facilities can't compare with OSU's, HS school coaches don't like us, we don't have enough fan support, not enough administration support, etc. yet other schools face the same or worse conditions and still manage to succeed.
Our facilities, until the last year, didn't compete with anyone's in the Power Five. Not even with many that aren't Power Five.

In what way?
If you have to ask that question then, you have no idea how bad our football facilities were. Other than the weight room and the equipment issued, we had very little that was even average.

If you have to ask that question then, you have no idea how bad our football facilities were. Other than the weight room and the equipment issued, we had very little that was even average.
How was Zook able to attract talent with these terrible facilities?

I wondered the s sac me thing. The other post made it sound like we had the worst facilities. I am glad that we have upgraded the facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.