Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us are hoping that Lovie gets us to the expected bowl team, and then we'll be competing for recruits and kicking A. ......Speed is the Key!!!

Hope we know how to coach all this speed up because man we look small at a lot of positions.
That being said excited to get what looks to be b10 level athletes.
I actually think speed is what we are missing. Lovie's cover two asks for the back 7 to cover a lot of ground to be effective especially from the Mike and the secondary. Even on the DL it is more about speed through the gap and disruption to help the back 7 make plays on poorly thrown/timed balls. Basically speed makes our defense go, and getting more is going to make us better.

We'll never be super stout against the run and we will bleed yardage, but TOs are the key and our defensive stats will reflect TO margin and offensive possession.

I actually think speed is what we are missing. Lovie's cover two asks for the back 7 to cover a lot of ground to be effective especially from the Mike and the secondary. Even on the DL it is more about speed through the gap and disruption to help the back 7 make plays on poorly thrown/timed balls. Basically speed makes our defense go, and getting more is going to make us better.

We'll never be super stout against the run and we will bleed yardage, but TOs are the key and our defensive stats will reflect TO margin and offensive possession.
Yeah get that. Rod and Co. will hopefully increase TOP and sustain some drive s.

Also If you all wanna watch some really fun HS film. Watch the Chevy brenson kid. I love this kids film. @moggs3 has been on it from the start. Kids gonna be really good. Prolly ends up as a split out TE similar to barker. Great feet, massive frame, good hands. He’s also shot up 38 spots on the 247 WR rankings. He’s gone from unranked to a top 1000 kid and a top 15 player in Missouri.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/11865934/Chevalier-Brenson

Last edited:
Also If you all wanna watch some really fun HS film. Watch the Chevy brenson kid. I love this kids film. @moggs3 has been on it from the start. Kids gonna be really good. Prolly ends up as a split out TE similar to barker. Great feet, massive frame, good hands. He’s also shot up 38 spots on the 247 WR rankings. He’s gone from unranked to a top 1000 kid and a top 15 player in Missouri.
Nothing set in stone but by July 6 (which includes that day) I expect to have atleast 3 additional commits between now and then. Just my feeling from what I have been seeing and hearing not hard to guess 2 of the 3 either.

Cincinnati, OH

I have zilch for scouting background, but I'm more optimistic of him sticking at WR. If he's moved to TE, it's going to take a couple years at least before he sees the field with physical development and blocking technique. His route running is much improved from his sophomore field. But his hands stick out the most, this recruit can high point the ball and catch the ball in awkward positions. Because of that, I'd have my fingers crossed that he can stick at WR and we can try to maximize his athleticism.

Gurnee
I have zilch for scouting background, but I'm more optimistic of him sticking at WR. If he's moved to TE, it's going to take a couple years at least before he sees the field with physical development and blocking technique. His route running is much improved from his sophomore field. But his hands stick out the most, this recruit can high point the ball and catch the ball in awkward positions. Because of that, I'd have my fingers crossed that he can stick at WR and we can try to maximize his athleticism.
Love that name!

His height and hands made me think of Oliver Williams, oldest of three brothers who played WR for us.

His height and hands made me think of Oliver Williams, oldest of three brothers who played WR for us.
The Williams brothers. Nice reference!! Perhaps the family that has contributed the most to Illini football ---- second only to the extended Butkus family?

Status
Not open for further replies.