Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

I’m waiting to see Robert’s analysis on him. He isn’t always right, but he tries to give an in depth evaluation that most of these guys don’t get from recruiting services. (Just too many athletes out there)

This is especially true during COVID.

That brings up another point. With no spring ball/summer camps, if there is no season for many of these rising seniors, there will be a LOT of mis-evaluations done.

But at the very least these rising seniors had junior years to be evaluated from.

I can’t imagine how recruiting will go if the rising juniors in high school right now don’t get a season AND don’t get the camps. 😳

Reactions: Chukwuwumba and pvaughn8
I'm loving this kids hudl footage! This kid got some serious talent! Don't overlook him! Obvious speed... I know Lovie knows talent when he sees it, and I trust his judgements. Bear Down! Go Illini! A good Double whammy baby! Let's go! Speed kills!

Reactions: Illwinsagain
At least we got a couple players in-state now so we avoided that embarrassment

Reactions: illinifan4249, MULEDOG35, Chukwuwumba and 3 others
Critiquing/evaluating football film is not a personal strength of mine, but this dude is fast!
He's so fast he makes fast people look not fast!

Reactions: IlliniRocketFan, illinifan4249, KevinC and 1 other person
In state lineman! I like it!
Don't tell anyone but it is starting to look like we could build a really solid unit from under recruited Illinois lineman....

Reactions: the national, illinifan4249, Chukwuwumba and 3 others
Don't tell anyone but it is starting to look like we could build a really solid unit from under recruited Illinois lineman....
Won't know for a few years of course. Rule of thumb is that it's better to get recruits who have offers from Wisky and Iowa than ones who have offers from Bowling Green and Columbia

Reactions: philcon
Always in favor of landing higher talent, but man there has to be a lot of cases where the 4 stars come to us and the ego gets the better of the work effort. If you're thinking you're better than the average Illini, that shoulder chip gets in the way. I want the 3 star that feels they fit. Hungry!

Always in favor of landing higher talent, but man there has to be a lot of cases where the 4 stars come to us and the ego gets the better of the work effort. If you're thinking you're better than the average Illini, that shoulder chip gets in the way. I want the 3 star that feels they fit. Hungry!

Barlev is interesting because he wrestled. He should be good with balance and has a lot to work with. A lot of OL coaches like those qualities.

Reactions: Chukwuwumba, Mike55, UCantHideYer and 3 others
Won't know for a few years of course. Rule of thumb is that it's better to get recruits who have offers from Wisky and Iowa than ones who have offers from Bowling Green and Columbia
That is why I made sure I included the all important "could" in my post. Yes it would be nice to land high ranked dudes, but give me a wrestling state champion any day of the week

Reactions: illinifan4249, thunderwear, UCantHideYer and 2 others
Peterson committing at 12 and it is not looking good. I'm pretty surprised actually. We were in a real good spot.

Reactions: thunderwear
Critiquing/evaluating football film is not a personal strength of mine, but this dude is fast!

he definitely looks football fast in his film. His track numbers don’t show it as much which is surprising. 10.96 100, 22.62 200 and 18’2.5 LJ.

Obviously track season was cut short, so if he was gonna max out I’d think he get around 10.6-10.7, 100 and 21.5-22 200 and 20-21 LJ.

obviously a lot of guessing after his listed PRs, but I expected better after I watched the film.

he definitely looks football fast in his film. His track numbers don’t show it as much which is surprising. 10.96 100, 22.62 200 and 18’2.5 LJ.

Obviously track season was cut short, so if he was gonna max out I’d think he get around 10.6-10.7, 100 and 21.5-22 200 and 20-21 LJ.

obviously a lot of guessing after his listed PRs, but I expected better after I watched the film.
This young man has missed his Jr track season and 2021 would be his Senior year of track. Two years can make a huge difference.

Gurnee
I think I'd take a football player at 10.6-10.7 in a heartbeat. Now if he's primarily a track guy that needs to learn the game in Champaign - probably a different matter.

I think is the least exciting class I can remember ( and I am 57) Doesn't mean it will be the worst. It is steady. But no amazing gets. I am really surprised. I thought we would take a step up this year.

Reactions: TMC999, illinoistradition, TooHot4Tots and 4 others
Forgottonia
I believe we were Lockley’s best offer. Wonder what changed? Can we use basketball excuses?? Didn’t fit the system, growth plates closed, only want guys that want to be here, mother wanted him closer to home?

Reactions: illinifan4249 and Chukwuwumba
I believe we were Lockley’s best offer. Wonder what changed? Can we use basketball excuses?? Didn’t fit the system, growth plates closed, only want guys that want to be here, mother wanted him closer to home?

I think he wants to be on tHe offensive side

Reactions: KevinC and redbeard7278
Maybe I missed someone, but it looks like the coaches were treating about a new commit last night. Any idea who it might be?

Reactions: SouthFLILLINI
Maybe I missed someone, but it looks like the coaches were treating about a new commit last night. Any idea who it might be?
Roderick Perry. FCS- pre season all American. DT- 6’2 and 300. Thought of as a possible NFL draft pick.

Reactions: SouthFLILLINI, CogDog, illinifan4249 and 11 others