Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Do you know if they are committable offers? The only information 247 has is a non flattering picture. Clearly a big boy, but he is only a sophomore. Its a lot of SEC schools. Do you know if they have even seen him or are they just following suit and throwing him an offer because Florida did?
He went to a camp in Atlanta over weekend which is what created the offers from those schools. I believe they all or committable for now.

I know nothing about the inner workings of recruiting, but why wouldn't we just offer the top 20 in-state players sight unseen? <runs for cover>
The staff has seen him and feels they have time. At least that is what was said at the time.

I know nothing about the inner workings of recruiting, but why wouldn't we just offer the top 20 in-state players sight unseen? <runs for cover>
Side A: Shouldn't the staff have already seen the top 20 in state players?
Side B: Shouldn't the Illinois offers mean more than just hotcakes thrown around with no merit?
Side C: Do we really think we have a chance up against all the SEC schools? If not, should we be allocating a material amount of time in his recruitment?

I don't know the answer sir. I just know the general perspectives of this board. Figured I would just list them and call it a day

The top 20 now might not be the top 20 when it's time for them to commit. Of course coaches can rescind offers at anytime but that's not how lovie is looking to build a program (right or wrong).

I'm really not against us going to the sec style of recruiting. Offer nearly everyone, pull offers if they stop looking promising, over recruit and make the extra recruits walk on or gray shirt them. Sure it might be unethical but winning is fun.

South Carolina
So at what point are we going to add more pieces to the 2021 class? I have no idea what's going on right now

Cary, IL
I was just thinking about all the state of Illinois HS football players that are getting 0 exposure right now. Is it "allowed" for UI to hold a camp of some sort? Social distancing, tests, masks, limited numbers, all outside, etc.? Pick the top 30 juniors from the state last year? Maybe do it with the top 50 sophomores too. I have never attended a college football camp, and have no idea how hard it is to put together, and how much it would interfere with preparing for the season.

Forgottonia
I was just thinking about all the state of Illinois HS football players that are getting 0 exposure right now. Is it "allowed" for UI to hold a camp of some sort? Social distancing, tests, masks, limited numbers, all outside, etc.? Pick the top 30 juniors from the state last year? Maybe do it with the top 50 sophomores too. I have never attended a college football camp, and have no idea how hard it is to put together, and how much it would interfere with preparing for the season.
I haven’t followed things closely but the last I knew no on campus or in person recruiting is allowed. Crazy that a kid can’t come to campus with his parents to have a look around. I assume this the not case for all students, just a NCAA athlete rule?

Illinois kids are really getting hosed.

If we're really serious about recruiting Florida, here's another entry into the Transfer Portal from earlier today --- Clemson 5-star RB Demarkcus Bowman. He's from Lakeland, FL and he's looking for immediate playing time, yet has 4-5 guys ahead of him at Clemson. (Clemson just had its best recruiting class ever.)

"He was behind senior starter and likely high NFL draft pick Travis Etienne on the depth chart, plus he had to compete with the likes of Darien Rencher, Chez Mellusi, Kobe Pace and Lyn-J Dixon for touches."

I'm sure he'd love to play in the cold & snowy Midwest.

If we're really serious about recruiting Florida, here's another entry into the Transfer Portal from earlier today --- Clemson 5-star RB Demarkcus Bowman. He's from Lakeland, FL and he's looking for immediate playing time, yet has 4-5 guys ahead of him at Clemson. (Clemson just had its best recruiting class ever.)

"He was behind senior starter and likely high NFL draft pick Travis Etienne on the depth chart, plus he had to compete with the likes of Darien Rencher, Chez Mellusi, Kobe Pace and Lyn-J Dixon for touches."

I'm sure he'd love to play in the cold & snowy Midwest.
If he wants to play at the next level he'll have to play in the cold and snow. Might as well get used to it.