Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

I agree with you but, I will say that stepping inside the facilities is eye opening! Film can't do it justice!

Most Power 5 facilities are impressive. I have yet to see a kid choose a school based on facilities. Once you hit the nice level, all things become equal again. The biggest issue I am hearing is the low amount of guys going pro. One of the early selling points was playing for a NFL staff. The draft results aren't matching up. Additionally from a St. Louis standpoint, there are two Under Armor All American game participants on the roster that haven't really touch the field in the two years they have been on the team. This is an issue considering the point of going to Illinois was to play now. Regardless of the truth, perception is the reality.

Reactions: CogDog, pvaughn8 and TooHot4Tots
Most Power 5 facilities are impressive. I have yet to see a kid choose a school based on facilities. Once you hit the nice level, all things become equal again. The biggest issue I am hearing is the low amount of guys going pro. One of the early selling points was playing for a NFL staff. The draft results aren't matching up. Additionally from a St. Louis standpoint, there are two Under Armor All American game participants on the roster that haven't really touch the field in the two years they have been on the team. This is an issue considering the point of going to Illinois was to play now. Regardless of the truth, perception is the reality.
I have seen many NOT choose a school because of the facilities.

The main focus right now needs to be keeping the guys who are already committed. Idt we take anymore than 3 prep recruits to finish the class and the rest will be from the portal.

More generally, it's the overall quality of the coaching. You just don't see players improve under this staff, and that definitely proves out when you look at how many players under Lovie have been drafted or even got free agent looks

Reactions: CogDog
More generally, it's the overall quality of the coaching. You just don't see players improve under this staff, and that definitely proves out when you look at how many players under Lovie have been drafted or even got free agent looks
You can't take a below average athlete and make him into a super athlete no matter how much coaching you do. None of the guys being drafted up until this year have been Lovie recruits.

The main focus right now needs to be keeping the guys who are already committed. Idt we take anymore than 3 prep recruits to finish the class and the rest will be from the portal.
I wonder how many recruits will have a home, in general. Between extra year eligibility, sports dept debts, wonder if many schools are in a holding pattern now until things are more clear in spring. Don’t take on any more commits in case those spots cannot be promised.

I wonder how many recruits will have a home, in general. Between extra year eligibility, sports dept debts, wonder if many schools are in a holding pattern now until things are more clear in spring. Don’t take on any more commits in case those spots cannot be promised.
The top players will be fine. The mid to lower level players will not get their one shot to play power 5. This will take a few years to sort out.

Reactions: Chukwuwumba and KevinC
South Carolina
For real who are the new hidden gems we’re going after?
It would probably be a tough sell to pull them from powerhouses like bowling green or army.

Reactions: RoosterCockburn40, TooHot4Tots, CogDog and 1 other person
Evidently you are not a much wanted football recruit
What’s most evident is that we don’t have many much wanted football recruits and won’t be getting many any time soon given how well we are currently playing.

Forgottonia
Reactions: pvaughn8 and CogDog
It does seem odd they took many project recruits/ high ceiling and most have not seen the field. Witherspoon-was already ready. Sydney brown- now has film after last year, regressed. Barker has improved year over year.

On a side note, Bennett Williams dismissal again shows itself this year, terrible safety play.

Reactions: illini80, KevinC, CogDog and 1 other person
It does seem odd they took many project recruits/ high ceiling and most have not seen the field. Witherspoon-was already ready. Sydney brown- now has film after last year, regressed. Barker has improved year over year.

On a side note, Bennett Williams dismissal again shows itself this year, terrible safety play.

The Bennett Williams dismissal says more about our safety recruiting than the dismissal itself.

Reactions: Chukwuwumba
Sad to say, but it's a smart move on his part

Is it though? He does not exactly have many power 5 offers. I won't blame anyone for jumping ship right now, but that would have been one of the few reasons for him to stay.

You know it's bad when commits without another P5 offer decommit.

"Respect my decision," he posted. Seeing what's going on, I have to say, Trevor, I really do respect your decision.
According to 247, Moffitt had offers from "....USF, Navy, Army, Florida Atlantic, Colorado State, Appalachian State and others."