Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayGhost77

Centennial, CO
Not a high ranking but COVID certainly affects that. Several P5, mostly SEC offers so that's a good sign. :)

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
McCray is a solid get for us. A number of P5 offers, but most of those programs wanted him to play defense. He will be a RB here.

Interesting to note. His better offers wanting him to play defense worries me less with an RB than a QB or even a WR. RB is a very athleticism-focused position, and if he's got a bunch of SEC offers to play defense, he's a good athlete.

Bret Bielema's first commit is a big, bruising runner. Sounds about right.

Deleted member 747671

D
Interesting to note. His better offers wanting him to play defense worries me less with an RB than a QB or even a WR.

Also fitting that the connection to the kid is the schools DC reaching out to BB, who previously connected with BB when he was HS coach in Wisconsin.

Nice pickup with McCray. Typical 3 star system player who Bielema can develop. Big difference I see now is Bielema can develop these 3 stars into something more than the past few staffs could have.

GrayGhost77

Centennial, CO
Also fitting that the connection to the kid is the schools DC reaching out to BB, who previously connected with BB when he was HS coach in Wisconsin.
A certain advantage of having a coach who is actually a known commodity in the college ranks.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Interesting to note. His better offers wanting him to play defense worries me less with an RB than a QB or even a WR. RB is a very athleticism-focused position, and if he's got a bunch of SEC offers to play defense, he's a good athlete.

THIS.......

Way to go Bret!!!

Yep, looks like a very nice pickup. And can always flip him to D if doesn’t work out on offense. But really like getting a big back.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
It’s nice to look at the first recruits offer list and it isn’t Toledo, Florida Atlantic and Akron.
michael richards yes GIF

Deleted member 747671

D
I may have to go back and listen again, but in the Cory Patterson interview, Jeremy Werner asked about how the recruiting pitch changes with a new head coach, and it sure sounded like he was convinced BB would be more active and more into recruiting. Said something along the lines of, "..... He knows how to do this recruiting thing....."

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to go back and listen again, but in the Cory Patterson interview, Jeremy Werner asked about how the recruiting pitch changes with a new head coach, and it sure sounded like he was convinced BB would be more active and more into recruiting. Said something along the lines of, "..... He knows how to do this recruiting thing....."
More active than Lovie? Thats a low bar lol.

I know we’re still in the honeymoon stage but it’s nice when the head coach enjoys recruiting like Bret does. Wallace would be incredible. He would fill a huge position of need. He looks to be an incredible athlete. Bret and him follow each other on Twitter, which I probably find more interesting than most. I’m guessing Bret made him a priority right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.