Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
So with the end of the Dead period our entire staff flies down to Florida. I'm sure they will pop in on Frazier but there has to be more. They are throwing a full court press on someone. Here are a few top remaining unsigned Florida kids:

5 Trevon Duval IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)PG 6-3 190

8 Kevin Knox Tampa Catholic (Tampa, FL) SF 6-8 205

93 Sandro Mamukelashvili Montverde Academy (Montverde, FL) PF 6-11 230

153 Mayan Kiir Victory Rock Prep (Bradenton, FL) PF 6-9 220

204 D.J. Russell The Potter's House Christian Academy (Jacksonville, FL) PF 6-7 210

Coach O has strong ties down there.

#1,077      

Deleted member 10676

D
Knox had scheduled a visit to Missouri this weekend.

#1,078      

Illinidreamin

Paris, IL.
Nah, if he's gonna be anything besides an Illini, it'll be a Spartan.

I am in agreement here. I believe he is MSU. I don't think he will go Kentucky route. However I believe he will come to Illinois before he goes to Kentucky... Wow I just said that.

I think it is 50% MSU, 30% Illinois, 20% Kentucky

lol how is that for a Know absolutely nothing but uneducated guess??

#1,080      

Illinidreamin

Paris, IL.
There are two problems in losing Tilmon:
1)He is at a severe position of need (ie the Illini is very short on tall frontcourt players)
2)The perception of losing the top rated recruit in the Illini class especially from an area that is fertile recruiting ground right now and to a direct competitor.

If the Illini were to lose Tilmon and had good frontcourt numbers I would not bat an eyelash as I have seen him and he is clearly overrated.

As for Smith, this is a kid not necessarily at a position of Illini need but is such a hard working good kid from a good family that is probably still slightly underrated. He is a kid I can root for no matter where he goes...Tilmon, uh, no! I would be very surprised if Tilmon does not underachieve in college.

My only issue with this is that I might be the only one that thinks that Tillmons game would not translate well with BU's offense. In my opinion Tillmon is not a big mover inside a offense. Yes he runs the floor which is great but pass first cutter option type guy? not so much in my opinoin

#1,081      
Knox had scheduled a visit to Missouri this weekend.

And PG Blake Harris, too. He still has his OV scheduled next weekend to MSU. Miles Bridges is pushing him for MSU. MSU fans are taking this "push" to mean Bridges is coming back.
Of course Smith is in the middle of all this, too. Recruiting is fluid.

#1,083      
I wish everyone would just relax, yes Tilmon was a loss. Underwood and his assistants have been around the block and I sure they are connected with players that we don't even know let that fit the system they are going to run. They will figure it out.

#1,084      
My only issue with this is that I might be the only one that thinks that Tillmons game would not translate well with BU's offense. In my opinion Tillmon is not a big mover inside a offense. Yes he runs the floor which is great but pass first cutter option type guy? not so much in my opinoin

Which is why he would fit the high post pretty well where he can screen for cutters, play pick and roll, and have post up opportunities, all multiple times per possession. Alas, it's moot now.

#1,085      

MrOizo

Chicago
I am in agreement here. I believe he is MSU. I don't think he will go Kentucky route. However I believe he will come to Illinois before he goes to Kentucky... Wow I just said that.

I think it is 50% MSU, 30% Illinois, 20% Kentucky

lol how is that for a Know absolutely nothing but uneducated guess??
Reading about Chuck Martin, former PG known for strong player development, I like the idea that Illinois can further sell Smith on our ability to groom his talent. Every little bit helps. We obviously don't know if he's the next assistant, but if so perhaps it could help late...

#1,086      

You are not the only one, I have wondered ever since he asked for the release if Underwood didn't tell him that he wasn't quick enough or agile enough to play in his offense.

#1,087      
You are not the only one, I have wondered ever since he asked for the release if Underwood didn't tell him that he wasn't quick enough or agile enough to play in his offense.

Fivestar is very familiar with BU's offense, and if he says Tilmon would be a good fit that might be all you need to know.

#1,088      
Fivestar is very familiar with BU's offense, and if he says Tilmon would be a good fit that might be all you need to know.

Actually everything on here is someone's opinion or something they heard. The only authority is Coach Underwood. If he says it, then that is all you need to know.

#1,089      

Guys - not to be dismissive, but that's just silly talk. You never turn down top 50 talent. Great coaches are capable of running multiple offenses and adjust to what they have. Hasn't BU already displayed this ability in his coaching career? I also remember reading an article in which he talked about that very thing.

I would love to have Tilmon, not devastated that he's not here currently, but it would have been nice.

#1,092      
Recruits are going to leave if a different coach comes in. Illinois is in a better spot that's for sure. I think Damonte and Frazier will stick with the Illini. I'm more excited about the coaching staff

#1,095      

Lol. Did you see some of the guys he had at SFA? You think he's gonna turn down Tilmon cause he isn't quick or agile enough? Tilmon was wanted by Kansas and UNC. Two teams that go for like 80+ ppg cause they get up the floor with quick and agile bigs. Tilmon is probably quicker and more agile than 100% of the true big men Underwood had at SFA, and has a higher ceiling than Solomon at osu. All those guys did pretty well. Also, I find it hard to believe Underwood would keep Walker, and then bring Walker with to tell the gem of the class that Walker led the recruitment for that he wasn't good enough.

The only question mark with Tilmon was always: what he would have been able to create for himself from the high post? Can he shoot the elbow j/make a game move and score from there off one dribble. If he didn't have it, it would hinder his effectiveness a little bit, but, developing that skill set would have definitely made him an NBA player. Maybe he does have that in his game already, but idk because I haven't seen him do anything from the high post in a game. That would be for someone else to say who's seen him more than me. Alas, it is a moot point.

#1,096      

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I'm in the camp that still believes that, no matter the outcome with our previously signed recruits, we are better off. I hope we still keep the last two, because I would hate to lose a talented legacy, and Frazier might be the best pickup of the bunch.

#1,097      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Javon Pickett asks for release too it looks

Weird, where is he going to go? He's an intriguing prospect with, I think, a lot of upside. But he's not super highly rated and I'm wondering what his other options are?

I wonder a little bit if he'll go to Akron and play for Groce.

#1,098      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
I'm in the camp that still believes that, no matter the outcome with our previously signed recruits, we are better off. I hope we still keep the last two, because I would hate to lose a talented legacy, and Frazier might be the best pickup of the bunch.

Agreed. Losing Frazier and Williams would hurt the most.

#1,099      

Trakis

Chicago, IL
Weird, where is he going to go? He's an intriguing prospect with, I think, a lot of upside. But he's not super highly rated and I'm wondering what his other options are?

I wonder a little bit if he'll go to Akron and play for Groce.

It would not surprise me one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.