Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4960

D
And he wouldn't have Ayo if it had not been for the Irvins. Period, end of story.

There is no possible alternate universe in which Ayo and THT play college basketball together. Not for us, not for Duke, not for Kentucky, not for the reanimated corpse of John Wooden.

A choice had to be made. We wasted a ton of time and resources in making our choice, and possibly burned future bridges, but we made our choice. And it was a sound choice and got us a very talented prospect.

I agree but it didn't have to be that way. THT wanted to commit and an outside petty source put the kanosh on it. I'm just saying BU has done ok recruiting and could have had a better class if not for an outside source. I say he has done ok with time and circumstances that he has to deal with.

So much judgement on a coach after one year, I don't understand it. So much negativity whish is weird because I think Feliz is a great addition.

Too early to speculate on how the 2018-2019 recruiting season will go? Scholarships are getting filled up quickly. Don’t see us getting more than one of Liddell, Okoro, and Whitney (or random other recruit). Maybe Ayo is on the one-and-done route? We could have a couple Mark-Smith-Style situations with the current class and someone transfers out.

Thus far (still really early), Groce's staff was better at recruiting than this staff is.

To be far, this class turned out to be really awkward. It started out as a 2-3 man class and ended as a 6-7. But outside of Ayo, BU didn't get his guys in the Summer/Fall when it was a 2-3 man class.

Underwood landed a recruit in his first year who is higher ranked than any recruit Groce got in his time here FWIW

Deleted member 631370

D
People are free to form their own conclusions, they are not free to have their own facts.

So what is the "fact" here?

That Groce was a better recruiter than Underwood? Because that can hardly be determined "factually" -- certainly not by comparing two recruiting classes.

Thing is, while Groce's first class might have had the better average ranking, Underwood's first class featured the only 5* -- which represents one more 5* than Groce landed his entire tenure here.

Top-100 talent is really important. But so is recruiting for a particular system and style. The problem with Groce's class is that John Groce had to coach them. Underwood managed to find kids -- especially Ayo, Jones, and Kane -- that are perfect fits for his style. Time will tell how successful this class proves to be.

I agree but it didn't have to be that way. THT wanted to commit and an outside petty source put the kanosh on it. I'm just saying BU has done ok recruiting and could have had a better class if not for an outside source.

That outside source was Ayo Dosumnu's camp. It DID have to be that way.

"He would have Ayo and THT if...." is a patently false line of reasoning. That that possibility was chased down was a failure of Underwood's recruiting acumen, not evidence of its success.

And even leaving that aside, if getting *this close* but being bamboozled by illegitimate and unforseeable outside circumstances as percieved by Illinois Loyalty posters were equatable with actually landing a player, the three greatest recruiters in the history of college basketball would be John Calipari, Bruce Weber, and John Groce.

For comparison, Groce's first true class was a lot better IMO. Here are their 247 composite rankings and some schools they took visits to or had offers from.

Colbert 124 Miami, Seton Hall, Villanova
Morgan 152 Wisconsin, Xavier, ND, Cincinatti
Nunn 56 Marquette, Ohio St, Mizzou, Zona
Tate 203 Marquette, Michigan, NW
Hill 70 pretty much every B1G team and more

I think there's some revisionist history/rankings not telling the whole story here. Everybody knew Tate was a reach who would've only been worth it if it helps us land Parker. Morgan was eventually a solid player, but looked like Matic last year in his first two years. Colbert never had an impact. I think there's a very good chance that this class has a better four years than that class.

Thus far (still really early), Groce's staff was better at recruiting than this staff is.

To be far, this class turned out to be really awkward. It started out as a 2-3 man class and ended as a 6-7. But outside of Ayo, BU didn't get his guys in the Summer/Fall when it was a 2-3 man class.

"He would have Ayo and THT if...." is a patently false line of reasoning. That that possibility was chased down was a failure of Underwood's recruiting acumen, not evidence of its success.

And even leaving that aside, if getting *this close* but being bamboozled by illegitimate and unforseeable outside circumstances as percieved by Illinois Loyalty posters were equatable with actually landing a player, the three greatest recruiters in the history of college basketball would be John Calipari, Bruce Weber, and John Groce.

Facts not known, but heresay, THT made the mistake of thinking he was the main target, and not considering he was to play with, not look to be #1. He would have been in our camp, but he wanted more, thus he will play at Iowa State. He played ball with MIF last summer, he would be an Illini

I think there's some revisionist history/rankings not telling the whole story here. Everybody knew Tate was a reach who would've only been worth it if it helps us land Parker. Morgan was eventually a solid player, but looked like Matic last year in his first two years. Colbert never had an impact. I think there's a very good chance that this class has a better four years than that class.

Chances are we could be saying some of those same things about a player or two in this class. It appears that we filled some holes

Deleted member 4960

D

And your talking totally different circumstances with the other coaches. Facts are kid wanted to commit. So not a knock on his recruiting. Maybe should have figured out before if there was any actual substance to (camp read Irvin's ) is his fault and should have gone different direction. Anyway he has picked up a 4 star that is athletic and can shoot. I think he has found some bigs that can turn into something, when I don't know, hopefully sooner than later. And he has grabbed a pretty good highly ranked Juco kid that will be just as good as if not better than TJL. BU has done very well considering circumstances with this class. Circumstances being 4 players leaving after season ends that you have to replace quickly after most of the quality is already signed. Went from 3-6 scholarships. He's done ok except for getting a 4!or 5 star big.

Chances are we could be saying some of those same things about a player or two in this class. It appears that we filled some holes

No doubt about that. But think that we have a chance to have a chance to have at least 4-5 players that could be at a minimum role players in this group of recruits with a couple having higher ceilings than that.

IllFanInMi

I
For comparison, Groce's first true class was a lot better IMO. Here are their 247 composite rankings and some schools they took visits to or had offers from.

Colbert 124 Miami, Seton Hall, Villanova
Morgan 152 Wisconsin, Xavier, ND, Cincinatti
Nunn 56 Marquette, Ohio St, Mizzou, Zona
Tate 203 Marquette, Michigan, NW
Hill 70 pretty much every B1G team and more

Colbert - Might as well have been outside of the top 500, at ODU now!
Morgan - Did not show is ranking until jr. and especially sr. year
Nunn - Stud
Tate - I watched 1 time on ESPN and never saw high level D1 talent, figured it was a ploy to get Nunn.
Hill - Stud

Bottom line IMO, scouts/rankers work hard and do the best they can to assign rankings to kids, but outside the obvious it is generally a crap shoot. Many lower ranked kids have much better careers than higher ranked kids. Metrics of height, weight, length, etc... can catapult a kid into high stars by the "experts", but the "experts" can't see a kids heart and fit into the college level game and particular system.

I admit to being a very vocal critic of BU's recruiting ability after the early signing period, however; I am now ecstatic about what he has pulled off! This class will go down as TBD outside of Ayo and Jones and IMO it will end up being a tremendous class; hopefully I am correct.

We need to quit harping on the offer lists and stars, they mean nothing until the ball hits the floor!

There are 27 5 stars and 100 4 stars on 247, so let's not pretend all of the 300+ D1 schools have a realistic shot of getting them!

Probably won't affect us much but Armon Gates, Northwestern assistant coach, was just hired at Florida. I wonder if any of their recruits will open up their recruitment.

PJD86

Texas
Sorry if this has been posted been having a laptop issue, looks like we are on the list of 4-5 schools for 6'9 Pitt de-commit Bryce Golden

Ayo - 5*, Possible one and done (doubt it), long and defensive minded as well.
Jones - 4*, Rangy, Shooter/Scorer, can alter shots/passes and rebounds.
Griffin - 3*, Late bloomer, does everything-recently rated #1 player state of NY.
Kane - 3*, Mobile, rim protector, offensive skills, defensive presence we need.
Giorgi - 3*, Inside more of a true block player, has skills, fills needs
Feliz - Top ranked Juco guard now and was Player of the year in 2016 (SIAA Conference) in Florida beating out the likes of RJ Barrett (Freshman) Simi Shittu (Soph) Micah Potter (Senior) high game once of 48.

From 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiw4m0O_Qdc

Not sure why everyone thinks this group is not up to what many may think is a good class? Do not forget, where we finished, where we have been finishing, and what our records have been with some of the outcomes to games in a P-5, nationally televised conference. We will get back to Top 10 classes, however a Top 25 class is certainly very respectable, considering we upgraded talent at all positions and acquired the skill sets we needed to the most.

Very happy with this class overall, could care less when we are picking them up, very optimistic of this group.

Because your descriptions are all about what these commits COULD become. What we know right now is that Ayo and Jones are good high major recruits. The combined offer list for the other 3 is almost non-existent. Maybe a couple high majors sniffing around but nothing serious. Add in Ebo and Matic, and we now have 6 guys on the roster who we hope are "diamond in the rough" players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that recruits can prove rankings/coaches wrong. But the great majority don't. Having 6 on 1 team is simply not good enough. I am optimistic about this class, just like I am with every class. I will root for each of these guys, but facts are facts.

Out of Matic, Ebo, Feliz, Griffin, Kane, and Giorgi...if 2 can become average B1G players I will be ecstatic.

PJD86

Texas
He decommitted about a month ago...chances are strong he joins his brother at Richmond.

he listed his schools today they aren't in there, we are though supposedly he's paring the list down again soon

Because your descriptions are all about what these commits COULD become. What we know right now is that Ayo and Jones are good high major recruits. The combined offer list for the other 3 is almost non-existent. Maybe a couple high majors sniffing around but nothing serious. Add in Ebo and Matic, and we now have 6 guys on the roster who we hope are "diamond in the rough" players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of the fact that recruits can prove rankings/coaches wrong. But the great majority don't. Having 6 on 1 team is simply not good enough. I am optimistic about this class, just like I am with every class. I will root for each of these guys, but facts are facts.

Out of Matic, Ebo, Feliz, Griffin, Kane, and Giorgi...if 2 can become average B1G players I will be ecstatic.
On "could become"...we all know that all recruits are unproven Including the Michael Porters and Mark Smiths of the world.

Im good with the "show me" perspective from you and others on the board. This board is rarely skeptical....right or wrong, this year we seem to have alot of skeptics....which is correct perspective, IMO.

On recruiting.... Loyola this year is a reminder that the kids have to love to play with one another and play to their strengths. Star ratings are often diminished by teams with intensely good team play. "Really good team play" is where I hope we are within a couple years.

Really wish Hinson was visiting first instead of Calloo. Seems more athletic and stronger. I wonder if we are going to wait around for his visit if Calloo wants to commit.

Calloo is visiting Michigan State today and has offers from Florida, KSU and Miss St. He has legit size. He also plays against the best HS talent in the country. It’s very possible your talent evaluation based upon a few YouTube clips is way off.

Hinson on the other hand is a tweener who thinks he’s a SG and may not want to or be able to play forward.

Last edited:
Does he actually have those offers? He blew up early and is an oak hill product. He kind of fell off a cliff though. I dont know if he has those offers or not, genuinely asking. I wouldn't put any stock into unofficial visits.

Yes, he has those offers according to 247 and Rivals.

Deleted member 547530

D

Well gee why don't you tell us what you would do out on the recruiting trail to land all the 5 stars you think are lining up this year to sign with the UI.

Recently? They tend not to remove offers unless they somehow confirm that. And since offers are self-reported that doesnt happen.

Since you're not really asking, why don't you just say what want to say about this player..

illini80

Forgottonia
Calloo is visiting Michigan State today and has offers from Florida, KSU and Miss St. He has legit size. He also plays against the best HS talent in the country. It’s very possible your talent evaluation based upon a few YouTube clips is way off.

Hinson on the other hand is a tweener who thinks he’s a SG and may not want to or be able to play forward.
Rivals has Hinson as a 4* vs 3* for Calloo. I don't know wing span. Maybe you do. Calloo looks to be an inch or two taller, but Hinson has 10 lbs on him. I see Hinson as a guy who can play the 4 and let Kipper play a 3 more often.

#1,000      
Some of you guys are never going to be satisfied. I trust Underwood and staff to evaluate talent. We have tapped into some programs that can be beneficial to us down the line. One thing I love about the staff is they not going to wait. If Hinson slow playing us. Calloo ready to pop take him. Y’all keep forgetting we have one of the best big man coaches in the country in Coach Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.