Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Samba playing behind Kofi, we’ll need him to contribute 10-15 minutes a game. As a sophomore in the 2nd year of this system, if he’s not able to do that, we might as well pull his scholarship

This is an absurd take and deserves to be called out as such. If a 7’ Top 120 guy who reclassed up a year can’t contribute 10-15 minutes by his sophomore year, we should “pull his scholarship”??

Frank Kaminsky played 10.3 minutes his sophomore year for Wisconsin. That was just the first guy I looked up.

This is an absurd take and deserves to be called out as such. If a 7’ Top 120 guy who reclassed up a year can’t contribute 10-15 minutes by his sophomore year, we should “pull his scholarship”??

Frank Kaminsky played 10.3 minutes his sophomore year for Wisconsin. That was just the first guy I looked up.

I agree, as long as Samba is committed as a player, student, and teammate I have no issues with him developing. Samba didn't put us in this position of roster inbalance. He shows solid potential, may have to wait to junior year to give us rotation minutes. To lazy to look up, but Nnana was much better the ladt two years in ways stats don't always capture.

Also Samba arrived about a week before school started last year. This year he will have all of spring/summer to learn system and bulk up.

***Nebraska just landed a 6-5 transfer. Not sure that weakens their hand with Tomas W. I think we are in a good position.

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
Not sure how staff could have done a proper evaluation on Woldetensae with a cast on his shooting hand. Unusual OV from that standpoint. Local Des Moines writer had a list last week of his interested schools and Nebraska was not on it. Certainly a different list, SIU, Colorado State, Oregon, Maryland, UCF and Illinois.
I doubt if all those school's offers are commitable.
TJ Holyfield with a big OV to TT this weekend. I've got to believe they are the leader.

Well they have 2 seasons of JUCO play to evaluate. That probably counts more than one or two days on campus.

With Samba playing behind Kofi, we’ll need him to contribute 10-15 minutes a game. As a sophomore in the 2nd year of this system, if he’s not able to do that, we might as well pull his scholarship.

Kouma probably needs a year to sit before he’s ready. But we said the same thing about Georgi, so who knows?

It does sound nice that we are finally a program that can invest a couple years into a project to turn him into a good Jr or Sr. That kind of development got lost when JFG took over.

PJD86

Texas
Tomas W, I think we are good with, he will be an ILLINI by end of week I think. Andree, not sure about that one, Pierce even less so...Kofi, Tomas W, Kouma,....pieces fitting but not overwhelming in terms of players/rankings. Malik Ellison might not be a bad one to look at either?

Andree has committed to NCSU already

So far it looks as if our class will shake out to, changed my opinion slightly due to ON....

Kofi (backup to Giorgi)
Kane backup to Kofi
Kouma (redshirt or backup and learn like/from Kane for a year)
Olivier Nkamhoua replacement-January (whiff-hope I am wrong)
Tomas Woldetensae- replaces Jordan

This would be a on paper so so, but for the program needs a very good class overall...immediate help at 2 positions (Kofi-Tomas) for sure if not 3 (add Olivier to other 2) and a big who can learn from OA for a year or two, then backup or work together with Kane after Kofi leaves, which will be year 3 imo.

Deleted member 29907

D
So far it looks as if our class will shake out to, changed my opinion slightly due to ON....

Kofi (backup to Giorgi)
Kane backup to Kofi
Kouma (redshirt or backup and learn like/from Kane for a year)
Olivier Nkamhoua replacement-January (whiff-hope I am wrong)
Tomas Woldetensae- replaces Jordan

This would be a on paper so so, but for the program needs a very good class overall...immediate help at 2 positions (Kofi-Tomas) for sure if not 3 (add Olivier to other 2) and a big who can learn from OA for a year or two, then backup or work together with Kane after Kofi leaves, which will be year 3 imo.
I think Kane / Kofi will depend on matchups. Kofi is going to struggle with quicker big men and Kane will have a challenge with bangers. Kane will be a bigger factor next year than we might expect. He had a few glimpses of some real talent - he just needs to get MUCH stronger to play against big 10 bigs.

When people are so high on Tomas, I am curious as to what they think Jones would have done against that level of competition. Guess it's the grass is always greener but would not trade him for Jones or Griffin.
Also believe Kane would be better guarding a four with Giorgi on the five so more like Kofi/Giorgi backup and Giorgi/Kane backup. Hope Kane is ready but haven't seen him enough to have an opinion. Need an insiders opinion.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
When people are so high on Tomas, I am curious as to what they think Jones would have done against that level of competition. Guess it's the grass is always greener but would not trade him for Jones or Griffin.

We're making a trade?

Haven't seen anyone saying he's better than Griffin. Two shooters are better than one. Elementary.

Tomas W started in 16 of 34 games and none of the last six games. Not sure how reliable stats are but curious that he was not a starter in JUCO but some think he will be a starter for UI in our conference.

Who is cole?
Cole: Cole Is Cole Anthony, #3 Prospect in the nation who played High School ball with King Kofi. Son of Greg Anthony as well. Cole will probably go to UNC, or Oregon, and he is announcing where he will go tomorrow night, hopefully, with King Kofi signing his NLI as well.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Cole: Cole Is Cole Anthony, #3 Prospect in the nation who played High School ball with King Kofi. Son of Greg Anthony as well. Cole will probably go to UNC, or Oregon, and he is announcing where he will go tomorrow night, hopefully, with King Kofi signing his NLI as well.
That would be good. I won't start feeling better about next year until we have Kofi locked in.

Has Holyfield announced if/when he is making a visit to Illinois?

BU probably keeping things quiet and will have a presser for them all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.