Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the Irvins were the handlers? :p

Btw, this is conjecture at best. I'm pretty confident that most schools, shoe companies and even wannabe agents are at least temporarily toning it down a bit. It's one thing to stick your thumbs on the eyes on the toothless NCAA. It's another thing to do it to the FBI while the investigation is open.

lol if you think that the whole cash flow operation that is going in in college basketball recruiting just stopped, then I have a bridge to sell you. If anything, more measures have just been taken to mask and hide it.

Funny thing, black markets! :thumb:

Can anyone speculate for me who these "handlers" would be and how did they get involved?

handlers
noun han·dlers \ ˈhan(d)-lərs , ˈhan-dᵊl-ərs \
Handlers: Anyone not remotely associated with Illini basketball that we can blame losing a recruit to another school.

Examples of Proper Use
When we did not have a relationship with MIF, their program and management were classified as "handlers." However, now that we have a close connection with MIF, their program and management cannot be classified as "handlers."

Last edited:
So, you're suggesting that he has had no input from family or friends on his college decision up until this week?

No, actually it is YOU who is suggesting that.

The chuztpah of Illini fans complaining about handlers in the recruitment of a Mac Irvin Fire player during the Underwood administration absolutely beggars belief. Honestly, I am shocked, and I'm never shocked by anything here anymore.

Deleted member 8213

D

The chuztpah of Illini fans complaining about handlers in the recruitment of a Mac Irvin Fire player during the Underwood administration absolutely beggars belief. Honestly, I am shocked, and I'm never shocked by anything here anymore.
tumblr_mzs437X6uv1qaoan0o1_400.gif

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
So, of the 44 or so offers out there to uncommitted players, how many do you think are committable? 5, 10, more?

Deleted member 4333

D

I simply asked an honest question about who the handlers might be, since it had been recently brought up in the thread. No complaints, no suggestions.

lol if you think that the whole cash flow operation that is going in in college basketball recruiting just stopped, then I have a bridge to sell you. If anything, more measures have just been taken to mask and hide it.

Funny thing, black markets! :thumb:

I'm not naive enough to believe it just stopped, which is why I said "...at least temporarily toning it down a bit." I just have a hard time believing it's still business as usual i.e. $100,000 payment from shoe companies to parents.

sacraig

The desert
Can't imagine that we're too terribly popular with LaLu right now.

I suppose that depends on why JCL actually left. I don't think any of us really know the answer (or if we do, it must have landed on premium boards). I wouldn't say it necessarily soured the relationship. The only problem that seems obvious is that the relationship was with John Groce, who is obviously gone, and Brad Underwood doesn't appear to have such a relationship with them. He does have a better relationship with MIF, though, so that certainly has to help us at least some.

Uhhhh maybe it's better that we get an official after UKs? Assuming he doesn't commit of course...

Man I was hoping UK getting in late wasn't going to be an issue with Whitney. Didn't he announce he was going to bring out his top 6 here soon even before UK got involved? I get it he is a teenager and he had a right to change his mind. Just frustrating how the big boys can come in last minute like this and grab them up

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

And now things get interesting. I feel like having an official closer to the decision date is better. If he’s not ready to commit, he will have a good time, leave, and then the shine of the visit will slowly wear off.

If we can get a visit closer to his projected commitment date, our visit will be fresher in his mind.

UK gets that sweet “first visit dibs” though...

Let’s hope he makes it out alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.