Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is room for more than one wing on a team, and it is highly doubtful that a top 10 type player would be scared away if a team is also recruiting someone much farther down the list like that. These kids know that teams win game. If we lose out on Whitney, it's not because we talked to Shannon.

I meant it the other way around. Why are we pitching Shannon on playing with Whitney? Saw a tweet that said that and thought it was weird.

Deleted member 643761

D
I’m trying to estimate, in my mind, the chance that K Dubs becomes a legend at UK vs UofI.....
Just bored. Spitballing
Illinois >75%. Program changer?
UK <35% Just another 5 star?
Just for fun debate????
If it really is his “dream school”, and they are all in on him...blow him away on the OV, I think we’re toast.

His chance to be a legend at PSU are even higher than at Illinois. I'm sure this has mattered to some players along the way, but unless it comes out of their mouth, I'm pretty convinced that this legend stuff is purely message board talk. Far less important than playing time, which has also been shown to more important on the boards than in actual recruiting situations.

I’m trying to estimate, in my mind, the chance that K Dubs becomes a legend at UK vs UofI.....
Just bored. Spitballing
Illinois >75%. Program changer?
UK <35% Just another 5 star?
Just for fun debate????
If it really is his “dream school”, and they are all in on him...blow him away on the OV, I think we’re toast.

Unfortunately history tells us legends nationally vs legends to specifics schools are two seperate things.

His chance to be a legend at PSU are even higher than at Illinois. I'm sure this has mattered to some players along the way, but unless it comes out of their mouth, I'm pretty convinced that this legend stuff is purely message board talk. Far less important than playing time, which has also been shown to more important on the boards than in actual recruiting situations.

I am not so sure about that sometimes. How many top players go to Kentucky, Duke, NC, Kansas, etc. and ride the pine behind better players. It happens quite often and yet the players keep going there knowing the competition for playing time is going to be much tougher due to the number of highly ranked recruits at that school as compared to a school like Illinois. I actually feel for youngsters in some ways, because I bet this is a tough call for them with so many people in their ear and offers of this and that and so on and so forth. I would think playing time would hold more sway than I think it really does. After all, if that was highly important, Whitney would no doubt have an easier path to PT at UI of than UK. He might be one that is good enough to play anywhere, but then again he might be like Charles Mathews.

Different kids are going to have different priorities, but yeah, the "be a legend in the history of the college basketball program" is a message attuned to the demographic of message board posters, not star high school recruits.

Most commonly, what these kids want is a vision of their path to the NBA, a good relationship with the coach they're going to play for, and to please the people closest to them with their choice. But every kid is a bit different. It means something to Ayo to try to revive a down-on-its-luck program, for instance.

In general, it's about finding what a player values and portraying your school around that framework, not deciding what your strengths are and convincing someone to value those things.

Based upon the replies, that tweet doesn't seem to have anything to do with his recruitment.

What replies are you talking about? All the ones I saw were of fans from UK and Illinois saying "go here!"

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I meant it the other way around. Why are we pitching Shannon on playing with Whitney? Saw a tweet that said that and thought it was weird.
I have always thought the same thing. If Whitney doesn't show up, you've been selling Shannon fake goods. You should only be selling the "team up with _____" when you have a commitment from one of them.

sacraig

The desert
I have always thought the same thing. If Whitney doesn't show up, you've been selling Shannon fake goods. You should only be selling the "team up with _____" when you have a commitment from one of them.

On the other hand, if you sell it to both of them, perhaps you get them to effectively recruit each other.

I am not so sure about that sometimes. How many top players go to Kentucky, Duke, NC, Kansas, etc. and ride the pine behind better players. It happens quite often and yet the players keep going there knowing the competition for playing time is going to be much tougher due to the number of highly ranked recruits at that school as compared to a school like Illinois. I actually feel for youngsters in some ways, because I bet this is a tough call for them with so many people in their ear and offers of this and that and so on and so forth. I would think playing time would hold more sway than I think it really does. After all, if that was highly important, Whitney would no doubt have an easier path to PT at UI of than UK. He might be one that is good enough to play anywhere, but then again he might be like Charles Mathews.
Most of the kids who are getting legit interest from UK and Duke have been the best player on most teams they've played on for their entire lives (including high school and AAU). I don't think that they really think that it's ever not going to be that way, even as they advance to much higher levels of competition.

I also think that having a level of self-confidence that would probably embarrass most of us nice, reserved midwesterners is generally a critical trait for elite athletes to have. They just operate under a different mindset than most of us do, and those who don't generally wash out when faced with elite college or pro competition.

If you view it through that lens, it's a bit easier to see why kids might go to an elite school and sit.

Playing with a buddy at home state school seems pretty attractive too.

Great arguments on here. Agreeing with everybody today. Holding out biggest hopes for Whitney based on the distributor Ayo was in the Team USA games in Canada. Lead everybody in assists and ridiculously in assists per minute played. Maybe just maybe if Whitney is thinking he's a one and done with Ayo being a two and done, we'll overcome that blue blood allure.

The question to Corey Evans...Where does Khalil Whitney end up?

Khalil Whitney has been one of the top breakout performers of the 2018 travel season and his recruitment hit the highest level last week with Kentucky extending an offer. Illinois, Louisville and many others are a factor in his recruitment but a commitment to Kentucky seems likeliest at this point. Whitney will officially visit UK on Aug. 3 and it wouldn’t be a giant surprise if he left Lexington a committed man.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-more-twitter-mailbag-on-pitt-louisville-more

Board meltdown in 3...2...1

Deleted member 654622

D
SizzlingQuestionableAntipodesgreenparakeet-small.gif

KY flying off with Whitney

Sooooo, with Whitney about to jump on the Blue Blood Ship and ride into the sunset, who do we stand the best chance with for 2-3 rides next year?

Shannon, obvious choice, Allen, soon to be swept up and already being offered by bigger fish, Guerrier, strectch at best, Ledlum, love the intensity of his play, Liddell already out-grown us? Timme, getting better and more recognized, Walker a connection made but through Higgs...how well/much might he play, message that sends?,

We went from a hope (rather dim of course) of Liddell, Whitney and or Shannon to ?????

The question to Corey Evans...Where does Khalil Whitney end up?

Khalil Whitney has been one of the top breakout performers of the 2018 travel season and his recruitment hit the highest level last week with Kentucky extending an offer. Illinois, Louisville and many others are a factor in his recruitment but a commitment to Kentucky seems likeliest at this point. Whitney will officially visit UK on Aug. 3 and it wouldn’t be a giant surprise if he left Lexington a committed man.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-more-twitter-mailbag-on-pitt-louisville-more

Well....there it is.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
We were never like THAT.

Duke, Kentucky and kinda-sorta Kansas exist on a plane in recruiting that has never existed previously.

When it came to Chicago under Lou and Jimmy Collins we were pretty close. Granted we always put the leg work in earlier and didn't swoop in late.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
When it came to Chicago under Lou and Jimmy Collins we were pretty close. Granted we always put the leg work in earlier and didn't swoop in late.

Nope. Our recruiting, while excellent, was always provincial. We've never had a national footprint (except for maybe this regime), much less a dominant one.

Nope. Our recruiting, while excellent, was always provincial. We've never had a national footprint (except for maybe this regime), much less a dominant one.

And the leg work is the other piece.

In the last decade or so, in any recruitment anywhere in the country, when Duke or Kentucky gets involved, no matter how late in the day it is, the whole thing turns on its head. That's something unique in college basketball history.

I take that as simply an opinion. An opinion shared by most on this site. If certain schools show great interest, then it is definitely a lost cause. I doubt Evans knows anymore inside information, than anyone here knows. He's guessing. You are right, a possible meltdown. Too bad there are so many mentally, emotionally weak. No program needs a savior, they need multiple skilled players who are able to be coached, and want to be. IIRC, the school with the most basketball major infractions ever, has won one championship with Calipari, and also lost in the NIT first round once to Robert Morris. Big deal.
The key point though is that they are a high profile program that is known for getting players to the NBA.

EJ33

San Francisco
In the last decade or so, in any recruitment anywhere in the country, when Duke or Kentucky gets involved, no matter how late in the day it is, the whole thing turns on its head. That's something unique in college basketball history.

Agreed. What's our winning percentage over the last 10 years against KU, Kentucky, and Duke for a recruit they prioritized? Note, guys like Mark Smith were secondary targets and don't count.

I'd be thrilled if we could consistently beat our regional rivals for Top 100 guys.

sacraig

The desert
..those who have finally come to their senses that this supposed pact with the Irvins won't materialize the big boy benefits that we naively expected when we told THT to take a hike.
There is absolutely no objective evidence pointing to the idea that we told THT to take a hike or that we did so in order to somehow curry favor with the Irvins. That isn't even the most plausible, Occam's razor type scenario here, so I don't know why that is the yarn some people continue to spin. If the rumors I've heard are true about the real reason, it's quite a bit simpler and less bridge-burny, if no less tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.