Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,451      
Not his first OV. Had an OV to Illinois back in the spring.

Illinois hasn't had any official visits yet. Even Tilmon, Williams, and Picket still have their officials coming.

Lewis may have visited unofficially.

#2,456      

MrOizo

Chicago
Top 40, hyper competitivie players who want exposure and to prove they are the best dont dream of playing in mid major conferences. Goodwin isn't going to slu, everyone needs to calm down. Are they more of a threat than we originally thought? Yes. Is he going to spurn his first offer, the school who's been to every game of his, that plays in one of the premier conferences, and has every game televised where several of his best buds are already committed? No. He can listen to Slu's sell for a couple weeks, but it's all over once that OV starts.
Don't count out Ford doing what Ford does to get his recruits...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

#2,457      
Who cares about the Nervous Nellies?

Yes, you can't pass on a player of Lewis' caliber. Disagree on taking Goodwin later on.

I've been very impressed with Lewis since I first looked him up when news came out that we were recruiting him. Kid is a baller

#2,458      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Don't count out Ford doing what Ford does to get his recruits...

Beyond promising Goodwin the Earth, moon and the stars? Beyond playing PG, being the man and being Marcus Smart reincarnate? Oh, he's selling a vision, all right. Big question is: will Goodwin fall for it?

#2,459      
Short of straight up accusing Ford of cheating at osu, I doubt ford will have the same resources at SLU that he did when he was working for an athletic dept with T. Boone Pickens backing him.

#2,460      
This is now at the top of my list of "Things UIUC should get right now." If fishing trips can land a recruit, gotta think a Pizza ATM can sway some others too, right??

But they used a French chef. We can one up them with a simple Chicagoan, no?

#2,461      

sacraig

The desert
But they used a French chef. We can one up them with a simple Chicagoan, no?

They didn't use a French chef. It was their normal cafeteria that made the pizzas. It was a French company who manufactured the machine.

#2,462      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Man times must be slow if we're debating who made the pizzas at a pizza ATM at XU...:p

#2,463      
I agree, take Lewis if he wants to commit before Goodwin. But here is a similar question. Do you take Frazier, then Scruggs instead of Goodwin or another wing? After our PG drought, I would take both and not think twice.

At the moment Frazier (Aug 19-21) and Scruggs (Sept 2-4) will be the first OV's.

#2,464      

Deleted member 10676

D
Short of straight up accusing Ford of cheating at osu, I doubt ford will have the same resources at SLU that he did when he was working for an athletic dept with T. Boone Pickens backing him.

He's going to use the resources he can get his hands on. This interview was made the day JG cut his list and besides head coaches he only mentions 3 names that impacted the list --Corey Tate (then with Mizoo), Marcus Smart and Roosevelt Barnes. So Ford hired Tate away and he's selling him on being the next Marcus Smart. If Butler wasn't one of the final 7, he'd probably figure out a way to get Barnes involved. For all the things I've heard about Ford, being a dummy hasn't been one of them.
[YOUTUBE]yRfgY5n9KbU[/YOUTUBE]

#2,465      
He's going to use the resources he can get his hands on. This interview was made the day JG cut his list and besides head coaches he only mentions 3 names that impacted the list --Corey Tate (then with Mizoo), Marcus Smart and Roosevelt Barnes. So Ford hired Tate away and he's selling him on being the next Marcus Smart. If Butler wasn't one of the final 7, he'd probably figure out a way to get Barnes involved. For all the things I've heard about Ford, being a dummy hasn't been one of them.
[YOUTUBE]yRfgY5n9KbU[/YOUTUBE]

Goodwin loves all the coaches recruiting him- spoke of Illinois as more of a relationship with Tilmon nothing about coaching at Illinois-Could be a smoke screen.

I get this feeling this young man is facing "The Deer in the headlights Syndrome" Blinded with all the hype not seeing the Big Picture of coming to Illinois.

Normal at this point. Let the recruiting play out. I would be shocked if Goodwin does not commit to Illinois.

Last edited:
#2,466      
Word is Goodwin ain't happening. Something happened...

#2,467      
...in addition to Ford using the 'king of the city' pitch, since Saint Louis doesn't have an NBA team. Be the king of your home town. Smart pitch, unfortunately.

#2,468      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
...in addition to Ford using the 'king of the city' pitch, since Saint Louis doesn't have an NBA team. Be the king of your home town. Smart pitch, unfortunately.
Would be very sad if true. He could do so much better, school, conference, and coachwise.

#2,469      

Well that would suck if it all transpires as you say

#2,470      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Would be very sad if true. He could do so much better, school, conference, and coachwise.

None of that may matter much to Goodwin. Nor, I suspect, being "King of the city" either. Getting to The League may be the driver here. And shifting to PG, as others noted, is the path. A path he isn't going to get at Illinois. Being a great college player, but not making The League, probably doesn't do much for Goodwin. Don't like the decision, if that's what it is, but have to admire the kid's ambition.

Last edited:
#2,471      

Yeah, because I'm sure all of St. Louis will bow down to Goodwin when he wins the A10 title. What a major feat that would be.:confused:

P.S. this isn't directed at you ILLOB. Just a general response to the "king of the city" pitch.

#2,473      

Strange, I wasn't aware Champaign was awarded an NBA franchise or that Althoff was in St. Louis since they won the Illinois State Championship?

This recruitment is so far from over, very standard during this time of year. Check back after his OV.

Status
Not open for further replies.