Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,651      
Can you imagine the howling if we landed Goodwin on a football scholarship? That would be epic! A guy can dream, right?

If this were to happen (which obviously it won't) would he still count as one of our 13 scholarship players for basketball, or could he be counted as a walk on?

#2,652      

MrOizo

Chicago
Smith is at least a Plan B for 'Nova.

[FONT=&quot]Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer August 1
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Villanova seemingly has all the advantages in its recruitment of five-star wing Lonnie Walker. The biggest one: Walker (No. 14 in ESPN 100) is from Reading, Pa., about an hour from the Wildcats’ campus.[/FONT]
Beautiful, thanks!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

#2,654      

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
Although I agree that JGood's best route to the NBA is via the point/lead guard spot, I'm not sure I buy into the argument that SLU would be the best option for him in this scenario.

I know that people point out Damian Lilliard as an example of going small, but the reality is that he's an extremely rare case. It's just not that common over these past 10 years for a non-P5 college guard to be drafted. For instance, over the past 10 years, the A10 has had 9 players drafted, two of whom were guards (Eric Maynor, Steph Curry both in 2009). By comparison, the B1G had 56 players drafted during this same time span, 15 of whom were guards. Others - CUSA (12 drafted, 2 guards), MVC (2 drafted, 0 guards taken including Fred Van Vleet).

Bottom line, the statistics just don't support going to a non-P5 school if the goal is to get drafted. And if JGood thinks he can work hard enough to be enough of a bad-!!! to get drafted from SLU, then I'm sure that same effort would get him plenty of tick at the lead guard for UI. Plus the exposure at a B1G school along with the level of competition is just so much more than at a non-P5 one, which I think is big for teams to project value and to determine draftability.

P5's get more players drafted mostly because nearly all of the 4* & 5* talent go to those schools. If you're good enough, you'll get drafted regardless of where you're playing.

That being said, as you touched on: it would be silly for Goodwin to believe he's good enough to go pro at PG, but not good enough to start at PG for UI.

I have a hard time believing he believes that.

#2,655      
The other thing about SLU is I think tourney appearances (where non P5 guys see their stock rise) will be awfully tough to come by. Davidson, Dayton, St. Bonny, and VCU are all lightyears ahead of SLU (admittedly VCU is probably on a downswing). I have a hard time seeing more than 3 bids going to that conference, which means SLU has to win the conf. tourney or displace one of those teams as a conference power broker. Can't see SLU getting a lot of opportunities for non P5 wins either.

Of course we haven't made the dance in 3 years but I think we are on an upswing and B10 is usually at least a 6 bid conference. Probably have a 40-50% chance of making the dance in any given year there vs. maybe 25% at most in A10.

#2,657      
For instance, over the past 10 years, the A10 has had 9 players drafted, two of whom were guards (Eric Maynor, Steph Curry both in 2009).
It's irrelevant to your point, but VCU was in the CAA when Maynor played and Davidson was in the SoCon when Curry played.

#2,658      
Terrence Lewis is solid CB for Iowa State. So that rumor that staff slow played him big time after he tried to commit during June UV might have some legs. It will be interesting to see who we end up with if they did indeed slow play Lewis. If he does end up at Iowa State on Tues he will not have taken any OV's.

#2,659      

Psycho 86

King Monkey Nut
Mooresville,Indiana
Terrence Lewis is solid CB for Iowa State. So that rumor that staff slow played him big time after he tried to commit during June UV might have some legs. It will be interesting to see who we end up with if they did indeed slow play Lewis. If he does end up at Iowa State on Tues he will not have taken any OV's.

Oh thats it TC, fan those flames on the meltdown !! Damn you sir !! LOL :thumb::thumb:

#2,661      

Any change JFG told Lewis his offer was non-committable based on where we stood with Goodwin but now given that there are rumblings that Goodwin may be looking at SLU, JFG told Lewis the offer is now fully committable and first come first serve? If we were his fav and he knew he needed to act fast that would explain a lack of OV's

#2,662      

Think his visit to ISU overthe weekend was official

#2,666      

Did not happen.

#2,667      

Did not happen.

At this point, it doesn't seem to matter...unless a major surprise happens Lewis looks to be going to ISU, so whatever happened, it looks like we now will be left seeing how the wing position plays out with Lewis not in the mix.

Don't understand why he wouldn't have used an official to ISU, unless he wants to take in a football game in the fall at ISU.

#2,668      
Goodwin will not make The League as a shooting guard. It's that simple.

OK, I'll hedge a bit. If he markedly improves his outside shot and range, in concert with improving his athleticism, he has a shot. But IBIWISI.

He may not be able to make the league as a SG, but i can guarantee you he wont make the league as a PG.

#2,670      

JJB

Chicago, IL

As I recall, he used two of his OVs already to OK and Purdue.

#2,671      

Deleted member 10676

D
Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 15m15 minutes ago No word yet on where Alonzo Verge will play this season, seems he will be in the area though. Hearing Illinois, Providence recruiting hard

Not sure I believe this (although I'd like to) but I would be glad if he played in the area for his senior year. He's one kid I'll make the trip to see and maybe he'll be on The Cube a lot. So much fun to watch.

#2,672      
Great insights and quotes by Frank Martin coach of South Carolina and former coach of Kansas St regarding "commitable" scholarships. He basically said that in the past you would scout kids and narrow down your decision to who you would offer. He says now parents, players, and coaches won't even get involved unless they could go public that they have an scholarship offer. He said the offer isn't commitable until the school faxes the kid documents (official visit, LOI). Mentions that kids have gone public with "offers" when in fact there might be interest. Said majority of coaches will not offer a true scholarship until really getting to know the player.

So who has had a commitable offer regarding the Illni? Probably no more than 10 players, the 3 that have committed. Likely JG, and super-studs Wilkes/Suggs/Culver. Possibly Justin Smith since he could be projected to play a big in Groce system and a talented wing. Frazier has an OV scheduled and I'm sure can commit on the spot.

#2,673      
Goodwin has a better shot at making it as a PG than a SG. Obviously, that's predicated on big improvements of PG skills and actually playing PG successfully.
Joel let me ask you a question. Have you seen Jordan play in person and how many times? You seem like you have a good mind for the game but you have really lost me with all this PG talk. I'm sorry but I have seen him LOTS of times and he will have to REALLY have to improve in so many areas to even sniff the NBA as a point guard. I am trying to be nice but.....

#2,674      
Parkinson’s Puts Unique Interracial Basketball Family in Transition

CHICAGO, IL – 01 Aug, 2016 – After nearly 20 years of bringing smiles to millions of people around the world, Harlem Ambassadors’ president Dale Moss needs to sell the comedy basketball show team he founded to find one more smile, his own. Moss is a Parkinson’s Disease patient with the progressive neurological affliction that has symptoms including the loss of muscle tone in the face which results in an expressionless stare. Speech can also be affected.

While it may not be reflected on face, Moss’ biggest invisible smile these days is the joy in seeing the blossoming of his grandson Ayo Dosumnu, a highly recruited, blue chip 6-3 junior PG at Chicago’s Morgan Park HS and Mac Irvin Fire AAU. Ayo Dosunmu has received D1 offers from a dozen schools including Illinois and Northwestern. Ayo and his brother Yakub “Kube” Dosunmu started joining their grandfather on tour with Harlem Ambassadors from a young age.

http://www.illinoisnewsdesk.com/sto...on.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

#2,675      
Michael O'Brien ‏@michaelsobrien 15m15 minutes ago No word yet on where Alonzo Verge will play this season, seems he will be in the area though. Hearing Illinois, Providence recruiting hard

Not sure I believe this (although I'd like to) but I would be glad if he played in the area for his senior year. He's one kid I'll make the trip to see and maybe he'll be on The Cube a lot. So much fun to watch.

I bet Illinois is keeping tabs on him as option C after Frazier/Scruggs but I agree that it's doubtful we are going hard after him.

Verge just makes me nervous, not really sure what you're getting from him. He could be great but just seeing his history I don't see it happening. Of course, this is from not seeing him live at all nor ever talking to the kid so could be wrong :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.