Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we manage to keep all our recruits (especially Tilmon) I think we definitely have the talent to be competitve in the Big Ten and maybe make the tournament. Even more so if we get Smith. It's going to depend on how much the freshmen can contribute, which is kind of a wild card. I could see us being really good in 2018 as we don't lose ANY scholarship players to graduation. However, if we miss out on both Tilmon and Smith...this next season could be ugly.

Just heard Cusamano and Tuna say that if he (Tilmon) reopens his recruitment after he talks to Underwood and gives Counzo a chance to come in to his mom's house and and sit down with the two of them it will be all over for Illinois.

http://tigerboard.com/boards/view.php?message=14680158

Man those idiots are the worst. Tilmon hasnt mentioned Mizzou once in any conversation about potential colleges!!

Underwood is inheriting a mess and is completely reliant on an assistant to make 2017-2018 salvageable. If that class doesn't come through....he has 75% of the previous year's production gone, no senior leadership, no size, no depth...next year will be a train wreck and will be reliant on a major coup for 2018

There are a lot of coaches who would want this mess. If he keeps the class he is two deep at every position.

Deleted member 8213

D
Just heard Cusamano and Tuna say that if he (Tilmon) reopens his recruitment after he talks to Underwood and gives Counzo a chance to come in to his mom's house and and sit down with the two of them it will be all over for Illinois.

Man those idiots are the worst. Tilmon hasnt mentioned Mizzou once in any conversation about potential colleges!!

Obviously if he reopens his recruitment at this point it doesn't look good for Illinois, but not because of Cuazou... How often does a player decommit and then decide to attend the place he just decommitted from?

I don't necessarily agree or like what they are saying but that doesn't mean they are idiots.

As for the concerns of not having a player that can create their own shot, BUs offense is predicated on creating open shot opportunities and layups vs the John Groce - late in the shot clock clear outs. We will not have to rely as much on a guy's ability to create his own shot as much as years past. And I also think we are underestimating our guys abilities due to the fact we relied on Malcolm Hill so much. This will be a better team because of that!

I agree with much of what you say, but at all levels of basketball you need a guy that can create his own shot or shots for others when clock his 5 seconds and you've been stonewalled the last 25. Late in the clock every team in basketball goes to a pick and roll or iso.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Nichols just might be the best player on this team next year. Granted I don't think they will be very good but I like what Ive seen from him. Lineup of Black, Nichols, Lucas, Frazier and Lands would fit this new offense well. I like Finke but I don't see this as a good fit for him. Whoever your "big" is has to screen and rebound. That's a much better fit for Black than Finke.

Finke is a better fit for the HP than Black. Finke is capable of setting screens, can hit an elbow j or a 3 when the counters are run, and score off one dribble from the elbow. He can also be pushed to the perimeter to create other mismatches.

Black fits screening, rolling, and hitting an elbow j for sure, and he's a better defender and rebounder. What separates Finke offensively is he is more comfortable scoring off the dribble.

I agree that Kipper is the best overall fit on our roster for this offense. DJ a close second if he stays and turns it on. A big if at this point.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Kipper is gonna be awesome in this system, just you wait.

Are you guys assuming he will play one of the roaming wings in this system (already forgot what they call it in the spread offense) or do you think he (or LB) will wind up having to spell Finke (and maybe Tilmon) at the nail? With our currrent roster and recruits who do you see spelling Finke there?

Groce inherited a tournament team and he was successful with the team he inherited. One brutal call from being in the Sweet 16. It was a team with size, talent and a super stud scorer. After that, I give him credit for swinging for the fences with high profile recruits, but when he missed....the issues started. Bad class balance, average talent and here we are.

Underwood is inheriting a mess and is completely reliant on an assistant to make 2017-2018 salvageable. If that class doesn't come through....he has 75% of the previous year's production gone, no senior leadership, no size, no depth...next year will be a train wreck and will be reliant on a major coup for 2018.

Two totally different scenarios.

You can't just look at the results of Groce's first year and say that he had a lot to work with. When Weber got fired, this was a team that had gone 6-12 in conference and was 95% likely to lose their best player in Meyers. People on all Illini boards were calling the program and the team a dumpster fire. Heck, people today still refer to the end of 2012 as a dumpster fire.

It's REALLY HARD to disentangle talent with coaching. BP had a couple really great games as a senior, but was that because he always had that in him, or because Groce's coaching got him there? Did Kaminski always have a ton of talent, or was it Bo Ryan who got him there? (I lean toward talent for BP and coaching for FK, but smarter people than me can disagree)

On paper, including the incoming Freshman class, we'll have 3 RSCI top 50 and 5 RSCI top 100 players on the roster. That's probably as loaded as any team between 4-10 in the B1G. We'll get some growing pains, but there's no reason why we have to expect worse than the 8-10 this year, WITH GOOD COACHING. Groce said at his last press conference that he thinks he left this place better than where he found it. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's probably accurate purely on a roster construction basis.

While they may be idiots, their saying that does not make them so. In fact, if what they say comes to pass, then they're absolutely correct in it being over for Illinois.

Are you guys assuming he will play one of the roaming wings in this system (already forgot what they call it in the spread offense) or do you think he (or LB) will wind up having to spell Finke (and maybe Tilmon) at the nail? With our currrent roster and recruits who do you see spelling Finke there?

All of it. He is the best fit to play everywhere. That is why he is so dangerous.

Griffey had a "nastiness" about him? I must have been watching a different guy then. Tyler, right?

And Morgan was a better low post scorer than Egwu. Egwu's value was almost exclusively on defense.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
While they may be idiots, their saying that does not make them so. In fact, if what they say comes to pass, then they're absolutely correct in it being over for Illinois.

Idiots, not because it is over for Illinois, but that it means he will go to Missouri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call them idiots. It seems they are basing a lot of the conjecture based on 247 crystal ball projections. Wait a minute... that may make them idiots. But seriously, they are not reacting differently to crystal ball projections then members of this board do.

Egwu was a good low post scorer,

Uh?

Griffey was another guy who had a nastiness about him

Huh?

That was a team that got better and better as the season wore on.

Not quite, they came out on fire in Maui, won @ Gonzaga and then started 2-7 in the conference, pulled off a miracle comeback against IU and finished strong. A very up and down season, not "got better and better" though.

I wouldn't call them idiots. It seems they are basing a lot of the conjecture based on 247 crystal ball projections. Wait a minute... that may make them idiots. But seriously, they are not reacting differently to crystal ball projections then members of this board do.

Point of order on the Crystal Ball. When you're dealing with a prospect who has already committed/signed with a school, is there an "event" against which those predictions are judged in the system if that player sticks by his commitment?

Because if not, there's an entirely different incentive structure around picking flips versus picking initial commitments.

Not trying to make the world's worst Loyalty strained reasoning post there about the Mizzou Tilmon crystal balls, I'm just curious.

Point of order on the Crystal Ball. When you're dealing with a prospect who has already committed/signed with a school, is there an "event" against which those predictions are judged in the system if that player sticks by his commitment?

Because if not, there's an entirely different incentive structure around picking flips versus picking initial commitments.

Not trying to make the world's worst Loyalty strained reasoning post there about the Mizzou Tilmon crystal balls, I'm just curious.

It's all click bait, that's it.

Good point. If there is no "penalty" per se of flipping your pick, why not speculate. If truth I have no idea how it works for a committed pick. I do think that Tilmon stays with Illinois but I base this opinion on nothing but a biased gut feel.

TMC999

Not Iowa

I still like "idiots"

Deleted member 8213

D
No clue who "Tuna" is... but most folks in the STL market who have seen much of Cusamano through the years wouldn't take much umbrage with calling him an idiot. He's a complete homer hack or an idiot depending on your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.