Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Watching Nick Irving coach in Peoria the last few years I think we generally get the wrong impression here. He really is fun to watch coach. His teams are fun to watch play. It is pretty clear that he has the respect of his players and genuinely cares about them.

Since so few people go to the state tournament anymore it isn't hard to run into coaches and players at the hotel or in the elevator. The Chicago coaches I have encountered don't seem to be the devils they are portrayed as here.

Which Fire guys did Irvin have control over 'sending'? Jabari, Cliff, Jalen, Jahlil, Lovett? Those were all family decisions. "Maybe" Charlie, but I imagine once his father had that severe stroke, all recruiting dynamics changed drastically. It's a myth that the Irvins are some kind of basketball godfathers doling out players. We've gotten plenty of Fire players over the years and hopefully will in the future. The Fire 15U and 16U teams were loaded last summer. Develop a relationship with their families like we did with Tilmon and Pickett and we should do fine.

Agree, but Irvin perpetuates the myth by pooh-poohing Walker being on staff because he is from St. Louis and stating that Illinois needs a Chicago guy. We had a Chicago guy that they claimed to love when he was hired and it got us little to nothing.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Agree, but Irvin perpetuates the myth by pooh-poohing Walker being on staff because he is from St. Louis and stating that Illinois needs a Chicago guy. We had a Chicago guy that they claimed to love when he was hired and it got us little to nothing.

Of course, the lack of a visible offensive structure and the frequent losing may have played into it, also...

I'd guess the "respected assistant" gets you in the mix and gives you a leg up, but at the end of the day, the program has to be enticing and your role and likely success need to be apparent.

sacraig

The desert
This is not true. I used to listen to his show on 590 the fan and remember him saying on at least one occasion that he didn't care about Illinois Athletics. He is the biggest homer there is.

I guess in my mind not caring about a team doesn't constitute being anti-that-team. Do I think we deserve more balanced coverage in STL? Sure. But I don't think we have people like Cusamano actively campaigning against us, either. It's not like the NW contingent in Chicago openly rooting against us at all.

Call me crazy but I don't think it's too much when Irvin says the Illini need the right guy who knows the coaches in Chicago, and will get in with their players and families. Kinda seems like common sense. Having "a" guy does not mean having "the" guy. Rumors back when about Parham coming off as thirsty, that's not a good look. That's desperation and begging, not strong relationships.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
Getting Robert Smith helps us with Simeon, maybe hurts us with every other program up there due to rivalries/jealousy. There isn't one guy we could hire that could suddenly lock down the city

Does Abrams have any interest in coaching? I think he could have a lot of potential.

Abrams would be an awesome fit as a grad assistant if he wants to start work on a PhD or a third Master's. He could take a support staff position, but the pay would be pretty meager. I'd love to keep him around the program.

Dennis Gates is the obvious Chicago name that has been connected to the program. Just don't think he's leaving FSU for less than $450k or a head coaching position. Not sure what to make of the weird rumor that he dislikes recruiting Chicago. He's from there and is regarded as an elite national recruiter.

Orlando Antigua would at least have street cred: he got shot in the head as a teen in the Bronx, lived and became a basketball star. Still has the bullet in his skull (they weren't able to remove it).

Deleted member 10676

D
Getting Robert Smith helps us with Simeon, maybe hurts us with every other program up there due to rivalries/jealousy. There isn't one guy we could hire that could suddenly lock down the city

No doubt there's some jealousy but Smith is universally respected in Chicago. And he and the Irvins are a lot closer than people think based on the MP-Simeon rivalry. I've been at events and seen Smith sit with Mike and Nick Irvin and they're laughing and nudging each other over great plays constantly. I think what Irvin is saying is just don't take Chicago for granted. And agree with the previous poster, Paris was a young guy learning on the job. Smith said you have to get their respect and practically begging players isn't going to get their respect.
I've also learned lately from a good high school source that Justin Smith was very favorably impressed by Groce but ruled Illinois out after the arrests and after a visit when it turned out he didn't hit it off too well with certain members of the team.
I have NO Illinois' sources, just know a lot -well fewer than I used to --of high school fan junkies who I see every once in a while at games. Don't hear much, but do hear some.

With 3 spots total and one already filled, I find it hard to believe that we will get a Chicago guy if things go according to plan. Brad has to get at least one of the three assistants from within his coaching tree (assistance with coaching his systems). We were after a national recruiter from Florida. If that guy doesn't work out I love the idea of a Chicago guy.

There is only one opening left. Evans is the second.

There is only one opening left. Evans is the second.

Is Evans coming for sure? I haven't found confirmation anywhere online. Also, some twitter rumors that he's staying Oklahoma State. I would bet on him coming to Champaign - just seems like the best fit. Did you hear something definitive, though?

If Walker and Evans are on board, that's a great start. Adding Gates would make it a tremendous staff and cover all our bases with regard to recruiting territories. If not Gates, Orlando Antigua would be awesome, even though some Chicago HS/AAU people would undoubtedly create a little bit of a fuss about not hiring a Chicago native. If not either of them, Heirman seems like a great fit (even though I don't think it would land us Tugs Bowen or Tyger Campbell). If we don't hire any of those guys, I think it will either be Geoff Alexander or someone with Chicago ties who hasn't been discussed.

I didn't see it as pooh-poohing Walker. The interview was about Chicago, recruiting in chicago, and getting from Chicago to play at Illinois. It's almost unfair for Walker to even be brought up, because it's not relevant to the interview.

Yep.

Not to mention our three best modern recruiters were all from outside Chicago. Yates- Indiana, Collins- Syracuse New York and remember when we were all worried Jerrance couldn't work Chicago because he was from Peoria.

Make Illinois a desirable destination again with someone who can juggle the personalities up there and it isn't going to matter where they are from

From all accounts Orlando Antigua would be the kind of person who could come in from outside and thrive. Hispanic dude who grew up in a rough part of the Bronx, charismatic personality, played for the Globetrotters, big time recruiter for Calipari. Listening to him speak, he has the right kind of 'realness' to relate to city coaches.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
Yep.

Not to mention our three best modern recruiters were all from outside Chicago. Yates- Indiana, Collins- Syracuse New York and remember when we were all worried Jerrance couldn't work Chicago because he was from Peoria.

Make Illinois a desirable destination again with someone who can juggle the personalities up there and it isn't going to matter where they are from

Agreed. We don't have to have a guy from Chicago. We need a guy who can build relationships. We also just need to win. Winning fixes everything.

Deleted member 10676

D
Yep.

Yates and Collins were the pre-AAU era. There were club teams but it was mostly high school-playground back then. And they were really only tied in with 2 high school coaches -- Cox and Hambric. And that's all you needed.
You've never needed a Chicago guy to be from Chicago, but even more now, you need a guy who knows the AAU scene in Chicago as well as the high schools. It probably helps if they're Chicagoans. Combes mentioned the schools the Chicago kids have gone to. Coach K is the ultimate Chicago guy - Catholic League instead of Public League (lived in Ukrainian Village on the West Side but east of Western Ave-- Chicagoans will know what I'm talking about -- where I lived for nine years and where O'Brien lives now, just as an aside) but when he recruits Chicago guys, they know where he comes from plus they obviously know what he's built at Duke; Kansas has Jerrance (St. Johns has NYC and Chris Mullins but that's another story).
You get a guy who knows the AAU scene, is seen and makes friends in Chicago, we get a good product to sell and you'll get Chicago kids. You're right, it won't be 'I want to go to Illinois' as much as it will be 'I want to go to that team because it wins'.

From all accounts Orlando Antigua would be the kind of person who could come in from outside and thrive. Hispanic dude who grew up in a rough part of the Bronx, charismatic personality, played for the Globetrotters, big time recruiter for Calipari. Listening to him speak, he has the right kind of 'realness' to relate to city coaches.

He definitely has the recruiting chops for the Chicago battles.

Yep.

Argh! The legend of Jerrance Howard continues. He is not in the same stratosphere with Yates and Collins. Who did Jerrance ever get us from Chicago? Henry. That is his CPL recruit. From the area Abrams, Egwu, Shaw. Who else?

Yates and Collins were bringing in the top guys. The McDonalds All Americans. The top all staters from there.

Walker has brought more talent to the program than Jerrance did. Heck, Jay Price got better players than Jerrance (Leonard, Paul).

I totally agree with your premise, though.

I've also learned lately from a good high school source that Justin Smith was very favorably impressed by Groce but ruled Illinois out after the arrests and after a visit when it turned out he didn't hit it off too well with certain members of the team.

it was at least vaguely reported awhile back that the weekend with certain players was what turned him off to Illinois. I'm a Smith fan and was disappointed he lost interest so suddenly. I know you probably don't want to divulge who those certain players were, but can you say whether they are still in the team going forward? Depending on our transfers, who IU hires, how he likes BU and his system, etc., it would be interesting if he could somehow end up back in play for the Beloved.

Status
Not open for further replies.