Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

With the exception of talented kids going to schools like Duke, UK, and Kansas, I can't think of many examples in which a high-level PG goes to a school that already has a high-level freshman PG and an incoming 5* PG. Simply from Ramey's point of view, Illinois makes far less sense than Mizzou or Oklahoma State or Texas. I'd love to have him, though.

Thanks. Am not seeing Ramey coming to IL. Seems his interests are elsewhere. But our coaches are still following closely, so who knows.

Am really hopeful the other post is true that Jones will be taking an OV here next weekend.

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
I think we all need to chill. Hard to sell 14-18, T-11th to 5 stars (Ayo obv is different). How about we go 18-14 next year and then start whining.

Maybe you will know this, but thought I had read that Ramey wants to be the star of the show? Not so much a part of mix of continuous rotations that Underwood does.

Oh & Arkansas, beat Mizery!!!
My scoreboard shows Mizzou beat razorbacks unfortunately. We can say we beat an NCAA tourney team, fwiw.

My scoreboard shows Mizzou beat razorbacks unfortunately. We can say we beat an NCAA tourney team, fwiw.

Yeah it was a 3 point game when I posted that. I should have wrote Go Arkansas instead. Can see how "beat Mizery" could be interpreted differently.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I don’t keep up with high school ball. Are the state playoffs under way? Hopefully Ayo can be there with Jones.

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
For all those claiming that (1) we have a great shot at Ramey, and (2) Mizzou has no shot, this development sure doesn't support the case.

Is there any word of any Ramey plan to visit Illinois?

Clearly, the kid hasn't broken off any contact with Mizzou if he's visiting them. And given their dire need for guards, I suspect they'll do/say whatever it takes to get back into the game with him.

Seems like he likes Mizzou.

“Coach Cuonzo is talking to me every day,” Ramey said. “It wasn’t like that before, because he thought I was leaning somewhere else, but it wasn’t the case. He told me the honest truth, and I told him the honest truth.

“We’re building a relationship,” he added.

“I think he’s excited to go to Mizzou tomorrow,” Blossom said postgame. “It’s a big step.”

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/...cle_66032896-1ea7-11e8-8e85-b3e2df99d347.html

DJRichardson4threee

IlliniGator2011
Chicago, IL
If we were to sign only one of all the guys that are in the discussion, who would everyone choose? I would take Samba Kane over all the options we have, and our current competition doesn’t seem too stiff!

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I am both really high on and optimistic about Tevian.

Ramey, though - I’ll start betting anybody the field vs. us.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
As good as UI could be with a backcourt trio of Ayo/Frazier/Ramey, I just can’t envision him coming here. I hope the kid surprises me.

I think this kid Griffin will be a good player down the line. Solid looking shot and release, and -- somewhat like Frazier -- even his misses seem like they are going in.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I think this kid Griffin will be a good player down the line. Solid looking shot and release, and -- somewhat like Frazier -- even his misses seem like they are going in.

Yes, I agree. I see some Evan Turner in there. Not crazy athletic but has all around tools to succeed. Kids with a motor can learn and improve very quickly

Deleted member 631370

D
Man, I hope we close on this guy. Great handle, quick shot and athleticism like we sorely need.

In some ways, Tevian Jones would fill a greater need than Ayo. Not saying he's a better recruit, but we desperately need an athletic wing that can shoot it. Really, really, really need a player like Tevian.

The fact that he's visiting is very encouraging.

In some ways, Tevian Jones would fill a greater need than Ayo. Not saying he's a better recruit, but we desperately need an athletic wing that can shoot it. Really, really, really need a player like Tevian.

The fact that he's visiting is very encouraging.
I agree with most....except I don't agree with "in some ways". Its clear as day that TJ would fill a greater need.

Ayo is a great recruit for us...but the main need he fills is the "need" for Illini to taste success in getting a 5 star out of Chicago. But he will likely assure our backcourt will be at the top of the B10.

We still need wings and bigs bad (TJ, Okora, Lidell, Trice, etc and extreme player development for ebo and matic)

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I agree with most....except I don't agree with "in some ways". Its clear as day that TJ would fill a greater need.

Ayo is a great recruit for us...but the main need he fills is the "need" for Illini to taste success in getting a 5 star out of Chicago. But he will likely assure our backcourt will be at the top of the B10.

We still need wings and bigs bad (TJ, Okora, Lidell, Trice, etc and extreme player development for ebo and matic)

+1

No disrespect to Ayo, but that statement is absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.