Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Last report I heard was he was not impressed with Purdue's style of play.
Never saw a report like that. Boilermakers are still in contention of his services.

Purdue has done well with their bigs in recent memory. Hammonds, Swanigan, and then Haas and Haarms. They've made the NCAA Tournament as well. As much as I would like to see Okoro come to Illinois, Purdue has a big man resume that's glowing now.

Never saw a report like that. Boilermakers are still in contention of his services.

Purdue has done well with their bigs in recent memory. Hammonds, Swanigan, and then Haas and Haarms. They've made the NCAA Tournament as well. As much as I would like to see Okoro come to Illinois, Purdue has a big man resume that's glowing now.

I feel like Purdue has a 7 footer resume tho. Not sure he has the same skill set as them

Im not sure what your point is? You havn't heard of them so they must not be good players? I'm sure most of the country doesn't know who EJ Liddell is right now either.

My point is they should have stayed in school

EJ Liddell is also a high school player? Big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is they should have stayed in school

EJ Liddell is also a high school player? Big difference

To be fair some of those players already had great seasons and couldn't raise their stock much further. Their stock as professional players could go down with age so I think some of those guys are okay with trying out summer league and testing out their best options from there when if it's G league or overseas. Four years of school isn't for everybody.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
I feel like Purdue has a 7 footer resume tho. Not sure he has the same skill set as them
He doesn't have to be 7 foot to play at Purdue. If Purdue wants another 7 footer, they can have them then. Swanigan is 6'9" and 250. Okoro can come in and beef up in a Swanigan-like mold and be a nice contribution to the Boilermakers.

Purdue is still in the hunt. Just don't be surprised if it came down to Illinois and Purdue.

1. That tells me Okoro isn’t in the bag.
2. Did any of you watch Liddell this season? My god man. This kid is special but yes the obvious is that needs to develop into a wing in college. If not he has no nba chance but he is special. Championship game anyone?
3. It is so hard to make it to the NBA or stick when you get there. Shows you how hard Brandon Paul has worked in last 5 years.

Seen nothing about a cancellation on Calloo, but an early week visit from Okoro might change things. Nothing confirmed, but reading early week, with more of a admissions visit. Chatter says all be done b4 May 16, mind you nothing confirmed , as I'm following this from screens, not in person. The calloo thing might be cooling.

Glad EJ paid visit, and his friend checking on FB side looking to room with, makes you feel confident, again this is well ahead of any confirmation. EJ is far away from a commit.

With NCAA making rumblings about one and done, you wonder how it will effect the future, but as far qualified HS players, maybe 1 or 2 a year would opt to go straight to NBA. They just aren't that good or ready. Using the college route isn't for everyone, but the ones that do, will be better off. Not everyone can play in the NBA.

1. That tells me Okoro isn’t in the bag.
2. Did any of you watch Liddell this season? My god man. This kid is special but yes the obvious is that needs to develop into a wing in college. If not he has no nba chance but he is special. Championship game anyone?
3. It is so hard to make it to the NBA or stick when you get there. Shows you how hard Brandon Paul has worked in last 5 years.

2 & 3 are spot on!

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Referring to advantages we had in okoro recruitment, Ayo being friends with him was a ACE in the hole. Not referring to his quality to anyone else , although he will be better than any guard PU has had in along time. Beach house bet on that. :cool::illinois:

Guess in need to clarify my comments before hitting send, thought I was using the card reference well:huh::illinois:

Beginning to think some loyalists on the board have lost all optimistic views any glimmer of hope. Not saying it's in the bag , but I'm not forwarding any mail to Oregon or West layfette either.;):illinois:

Your use of "AYO in the hole" after someone commented that Ayo was our ace in the hole was spot on.

Someone is just picking nits - it was a good pun

Go Illini :chief:

To be fair some of those players already had great seasons and couldn't raise their stock much further. Their stock as professional players could go down with age so I think some of those guys are okay with trying out summer league and testing out their best options from there when if it's G league or overseas. Four years of school isn't for everybody.

I can respect that, I just don’t see why you’d sign an agent then. You can always go over seas if you don’t get drafted.

Exactly, for the 100th time people dont understand how hard it is to make the NBA. For example check out this tweet of players who weren't even invited to the combine.

Jonathan Givony‏Verified account @DraftExpress 2h2 hours ago

Cold splash of reality for a bunch of underclassmen who hired agents already but weren't invited to the NBA Combine as of now: Ray Spalding, D.J. Hogg, Doral Moore, Lagerald Vick, Deng Adel Drew Eubanks, Terry Larrier, Robert Franks, Mustapha Heron, Kaiser Gates, LiAngelo Ball

I agree, and I also think the fact that we've struggled to get top talent has distorted our collective view. Was Meyers the last guy we had drafted? And Meyers was drafted as much on potential as production.

Mind you, the game is growing, so guys can do well even if they're a little below NBA level. The NBA is also changing a lot.

-I know a lot of you don't like player comp's, but I've realized who Okoro reminds me of. Okoro and Big Cliff have similar skill sets. I don't think Okoro plays as aggressive as Cliff did in HS. I also think Okoro is a little more athletic, but similar skill sets.

-Speaking of how hard it is to make it to the NBA and stay in the league the 2014 class has many examples, look no farther than the local boys. Jahlil struggling to stay in the NBA, and Cliff is now playing overseas. If you would of told me that 4 years ago, i would of said you're crazy.

-I know a lot of you don't like player comp's, but I've realized who Okoro reminds me of. Okoro and Big Cliff have similar skill sets. I don't think Okoro plays as aggressive as Cliff did in HS. I also think Okoro is a little more athletic, but similar skill sets.

-Speaking of how hard it is to make it to the NBA and stay in the league the 2014 class has many examples, look no farther than the local boys. Jahlil struggling to stay in the NBA, and Cliff is now playing overseas. If you would of told me that 4 years ago, i would of said you're crazy.
They're both traditional post players and that's just not what they want at the next level. Jahlil would have excelled in the NBA in a different decade. Small ball is in so all these undersized posts have a chance if they can space the floor. An undersized post has a better chance than undersized guard in today's game. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just felt like it was a good place to ramble.

blackdog

Champaign
They're both traditional post players and that's just not what they want at the next level. Jahlil would have excelled in the NBA in a different decade. Small ball is in so all these undersized posts have a chance if they can space the floor. An undersized post has a better chance than undersized guard in today's game. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just felt like it was a good place to ramble.

Jahlil's problem isn't being a traditional post player its the fact that he is abysmal defensively. His offensive numbers have been solid consistently but he has lost minutes every year in the league because he can't play defense.

Any sighting, pics, reports of EJ Liddel's visit today? Seems pretty quite so far, would think he would scrimmage a little unofficially.

Deleted member 654622

D

I don't deny that at all. But the success they have had with their big men has not been the style that Okoro likes. It was reported on the Jeremey Werner show last week. He likes a more fast pace offense that allows him to move more. Purdue is not that.

Jahlil's problem isn't being a traditional post player its the fact that he is abysmal defensively. His offensive numbers have been solid consistently but he has lost minutes every year in the league because he can't play defense.

Defense would have improved his chances of being successful but he would have been appreciated much more 10 years ago even with poor defense. I'm not saying he would have been a perfect player or doesn't have any flaws.

blackdog

Champaign
Defense would have improved his chances of being successful but he would have been appreciated much more 10 years ago even with poor defense. I'm not saying he would have been a perfect player or doesn't have any flaws.

For as much flak is people give it sometimes if you don't play defense in the NBA you better be a bonafide superstar. If not you are going to be a bench role player if even that. And if you are talking about Okafor playing in an earlier era people would have eaten his lunch all day every day. Tons of skill but soft.

Not me...if your only 6'9'' you better have crazy ball skills and range to excel and be a one and done to make it in the NBA. I was not someone who ever saw Cliff as a one n done type of player or would I anyone else with his size and no perimeter game. Watching the Cavs game now and how big the game is played it's not that hard to see he couldnt be that good at 19 or 20. Too many young men think they are much better than they really are because they haven't been on a floor were everyone is better than they are.

Last edited:
So is Maurice Calloo still visiting next week?:thumb:

I'll bet someone else's beach house that Calloo doesn't get within a nose whiff of the southern farms. Don't believe we will extend an official for several reasons.

I'll bet someone else's beach house that Calloo doesn't get within a nose whiff of the southern farms. Don't believe we will extend an official for several reasons.

Not sure we have any to offer, still think the Okoro situation will be resolved by next week. With no OV to offer, Francis has to find his way here, can't see Calloo getting one. One wonders how in the the heck we run out? I thought BU could count better, or maybe poor return on early visits last fall. We did cash in this spring so that's a plus.

Okoro commits, this clears all this up. We can set squad, get ready for season.

Status
Not open for further replies.