Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's left, who would we prefer, who could we still get?

24/7 Rankings state the following are still available/realistic possibilities/needs for us?

EJ Montgomery 6-10" 200-20 offers, "cold" on all of them as of now.
Bryan Penn-Johnson 7-0" 22 offers, warmer with DePaul, warm with us + 4.
Ezekial Richards 6-11 1 offer, three * from California?
Flo Thamba 6-9" ILLINI in final 4, last visit in January?
Jamal Gaines 6-9 200, 0 Offers to date?
Maurice Calloo 6-8" 6 offers including ILLINI, cool on all as of now.

All are listed in order of 24/7 listing and all are between Ayo rank and Pearson who has been discussed on here prior. Exceptions are Montgomery is ranked slightly higher than Ayo, and Calloo is ranked slightly lower than Pearson.

Who is our best shot to actually land if any, I would love to see what is up with Montgomery, obviously BPJ is interesting, as well as FLO.....actually see FLO the best possible land, but I think Gaines could fill the need as well?:chief:

-Montgomery has not done anything much with his recruitment since de-committing from Auburn. Heard that Wake Forest is involved heavily with him.

-BPJ is not coming. He will decide between UCLA, Washington, Depaul, LSU. Unless someone new enters the mix in the spring.

Out of the rest of that group we have a pretty good shot with Flo. He is the priority, not to sure about the other 3.

Would not be surprised at all to see us try and get involved with J'raan Brooks from Washington. Former USC commit, took his OV to USC with Ayo, so they are familiar with one another.
- https://247sports.com/player/jraan-brooks-86004
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3Sj6xq7bM

-Montgomery has not done anything much with his recruitment since de-committing from Auburn. Heard that Wake Forest is involved heavily with him.

-BPJ is not coming. He will decide between UCLA, Washington, Depaul, LSU. Unless someone new enters the mix in the spring.

Out of the rest of that group we have a pretty good shot with Flo. He is the priority, not to sure about the other 3.

Would not be surprised at all to see us try and get involved with J'raan Brooks from Washington. Former USC commit, took his OV to USC with Ayo, so they are familiar with one another.
- https://247sports.com/player/jraan-brooks-86004
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3Sj6xq7bM

Good call on Brooks, thanks for the insight.:chief:

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
We really do need to land someone like Flo this year and then EJ and Okoro next year. We are so thin up front and no way will Matic or Ebo be ready to shoulder all the load as juniors. Ayo was a huge piece to land but without getting some front court help we are going to continue to struggle once teams get inside on us.

I'm definelty interested in more info on Brooks. Seems smart, athletic and can pass
I'd guess our chances are just slightly above 0. Why would he even consider us? No connection to the staff, presumably no connection to the state and we aren't winning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That Liddell looks amazing...Would the smart money be on the Illini landing him as of right now?

That Liddell looks amazing...Would the smart money be on the Illini landing him as of right now?

107j5gg.jpg

Wondering about everyone's thinking on how a transfer will adapt to the BU system? My concern is that, once BU gets it fully implemented, the system might be too complex for a transfer to come in and grasp right away. Might it be a wasted scholly to bring in a transfer?

Interesting. Don't you think if we 8-9 guys running it competently that the learning curve is easier..

Liddell looks like a more athletic and skilled version of Kipper. I'm really impressed by his step back jumper and foot work/body control in the lane. The other thing that I LOVE is his enthusiasm when making plays. I wish Liddell was a senior this year so we could use him next year. His recruitment has reminded me a little bit of Ayo's, very quiet but I have a feeling he ends up with us.

Liddell looks like a more athletic and skilled version of Kipper. I'm really impressed by his step back jumper and foot work/body control in the lane. The other thing that I LOVE is his enthusiasm when making plays. I wish Liddell was a senior this year so we could use him next year. His recruitment has reminded me a little bit of Ayo's, very quiet but I have a feeling he ends up with us.

I don't really see the Kipper comparison. If anything I see some similarities to Leron with them both being 6'7" power forwards with long wingspans and a nice mid-range touch. Liddell is definitely the better athlete and a better 3 point shooter. Big mismatch at the next level.

The smart money is probably on Cuonzo winning every Metro East battle until proven otherwise (I know we got Mark Smith, but Mizzou didn't enter until very late and he grew up a big Illini fan so probably more of an exception).

Deleted member 631370

D
The smart money is probably on Cuonzo winning every Metro East battle until proven otherwise (I know we got Mark Smith, but Mizzou didn't enter until very late and he grew up a big Illini fan so probably more of an exception).

As opposed to Underwood who recruited Smith for all of three weeks?

I agree that Cuonzo Martin will be a very tough competitor in Metro East.

That is kind of what I was thinking and it scares me. I just wonder if Martin will end up being a beast of a hire for Mizzo. I feel like Mizzo or Illinois...either school would have been a really good fit for him when it comes to recruiting.

Better school, better conference, better coach...................Illinois.

Martin is gonna be a real problem with recruiting St. Louis. No doubt about that. But I think everyone also needs to remember that he just got very lucky with landing MPJ. Having the #1 recruit and likely #1 or #2 draft pick makes recruiting A LOT easier. And he is not gonna have that every year. Plus, when he starts underperforming on the court, as he has at most places he has coached, and when Underwood starts winning, we might be coming out ahead in a lot of these recruiting battles.

And that's not saying we won't win them right now.

Re-Class candidate?:chief:

Status
Not open for further replies.