Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,951      
Yeah but didn't he also say Ayo seemed disinterested on his visit and may have already made up his mind? Guy seems to not really have a clue and just hedging for whatever the outcome is

Nah... that's typical O'Brien. Even when he has positive things to say about the Illini (he does not make things up), he always adds a backhanded compliment (e.g., "looked disinterested") for good measure.

#2,952      

Deleted member 631370

D
Not sure. But it's pretty striking that O'Brien is willing to lead into it with "I know pretty much for a fact.."

He's not one to invent stuff, nor does he have any incentive to.

That is true. Not doubting O'Brien one bit. I have full faith that he believes this to be true.

Just seems odd to me. But maybe that's my battered fan syndrome taking over. Too many nut punches.

#2,953      

sacraig

The desert
Nah... that's typical O'Brien. Even when he has positive things to say about the Illini (he does not make things up), he always adds a backhanded compliment (e.g., "looked disinterested") for good measure.

I didn't take it as a backhanded compliment. He even hedged on it a bet by emphasizing "I've been told" rather than "I know this". He also specifically said "as if he had already decided", which really amounts to speculation on either his part or his sources' parts.

#2,954      

whovous

Washington, DC
This is all tea leaves and negative inferences, but...

Danny Manning did not have an in-home with Ayo after his OV to C-U. If he asked for one and did not get it, that is a pretty major tell. If he did not ask for one, that means he knew the outcome was already completely decided. Wouldn't there be a leak from WF by now if he knew he was coming to W-S?

#2,955      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
I didn't take it as a backhanded compliment. He even hedged on it a bet by emphasizing "I've been told" rather than "I know this". He also specifically said "as if he had already decided", which really amounts to speculation on either his part or his sources' parts.

He also said that it seemed more like guesswork on the part of his sources.

#2,956      

SalukiIllini

Evansville, IN
Here's where you guys need to take two steps back and reevaluate. I'm not going to go all out "homer" and argue that Illinois holds more opportunity for him, but there's no way that WF has so much more opportunity (vs. "loyalty") that it is between those two factors, as you suggest.:illinois:

Yeah. This idea that he’s “torn” for this reason was made up out of thin air.

#2,957      

sacraig

The desert
So, we've heard about the large number of Illini media personalities making the trip to the announcement. Have any Wake Forest media types noted that they will attend? I realize the distance would be a factor, but you never know.

#2,958      

Priestspoets

Kansas City, Mo
Yeah. This idea that he’s “torn” for this reason was made up out of thin air.

He isn't torn on his decision. He was planning on Sunday night and Monday to get his announcement set. What does that tell everyone? He had his mind made up on official to Illinois. Probably before to be honest. This has been one of the worst kept secrets in my opinion since we hired Chin.

#2,959      
So, we've heard about the large number of Illini media personalities making the trip to the announcement. Have any Wake Forest media types noted that they will attend? I realize the distance would be a factor, but you never know.

Why tf would a WFU beat writer travel up to Chicago for the announcement

#2,960      

Deleted member 10676

D
Anyone who follows the Donut Bros willing to summarize?

Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout 21m21 minutes ago
More
Don't sleep in a bunk bed at my parents house ✔️
Take showers daily ✔️
Have sources in basketball ✔️

Can u check same boxes @prepbullseye ?
https://twitter.com/BSnowScout/status/920745468648460288

Can't say why it started because it was in the pay article Snow wrote this a.m., Roy went nutso on Snow and Scout, Snow came back with the Bull Schmidt tweet, Roy went to insult/swear word mode and then the above.

#2,961      
So he has two social media accounts that are meaningless even though he is very active on both? That just doesn't pass the smell test. He is doing one of two things pretty intentionally in my opinion.

1. Setting up drama for Thursday by trolling Wake Forest and our coaching staff.

2. Giving Illinois fans some reason for pause before they enter Thursday so that they aren't caught in a Cliff Alexander scenario.

I don't think the posts are meaningless, but I also don't necessarily they are good for Wake Forest (could be, but no means a sure thing). Door #1 could very well be his plan.

You are turning on the kid already, as if he picks Illinois, he would be trolling Wake Forest. Ayo has been pretty moderate on social media. Kids use twitter, instagram, and social media in general for one reason: it is fun! They are not going to issue corporate press releases and are rarely too serious on what they post. Social media activity coming from recruits is the least reliable indicator to analyze recruiting.

As for Cliff Alexander, picking Kansas was not a surprise. Now, acting like he did, that's totally on him. Four kids made their decision on the same TV program, and three acted very maturely, one acted like a clown.

As long as Ayo makes his picks without disrespecting anyone (which I do expect he will), people should just accept his choice and move on. But it seems that you already struggling to come to the realization that this is not 50-50 and trying to find excuses like "trolling WF," or "torn between loyalty and opportunity," as if he does not want to pick any school other than WF unless he is of questionable character.

#2,965      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout 21m21 minutes ago
More
Don't sleep in a bunk bed at my parents house ✔️
Take showers daily ✔️
Have sources in basketball ✔️

Can u check same boxes @prepbullseye ?
https://twitter.com/BSnowScout/status/920745468648460288

Can't say why it started because it was in the pay article Snow wrote this a.m., Roy went nutso on Snow and Scout, Snow came back with the Bull Schmidt tweet, Roy went to insult/swear word mode and then the above.

Hahahaha.

8tmW2JH.gif

#2,966      

sacraig

The desert
We can simply agree to disagree on that I guess. Ayo wants to be a 1 or 2 and done. There aren't many schools that can boast as good a record of developing pros as Wake Forest...

School has little to do with players who are 1 or 2 and done. Those are the kids who would have gone pro already if the NBA allowed it.

...the past decade or so.

Chris Paul
Jeff Teague
Ish Smith
James Johnson
Al Farouq Aminu
John Collins

vs.

Myers Leonard

Even if the school does play a role in one-and-dones, how many of those guys played for Manning? One. Throw the others out the window. Underwood has had zero years as coach at Illinois, so there's no opportunity to compare at this school, but he did coach Jawun Evans last year, who was a two-and-done. So, the score is either 1-0 or 1-1. We can compare notes again in 4 years and compare their 4-year records. I have no idea how that will turn out.

How many GM's does Underwood have on speed dial?

Probably Jerry Colangelo at the very least, who is an Illinois alumnus.

How many former players? How many mentors can Manning produce to help Ayo reach his NBA potential vs. how many can Underwood produce?

Quite a few. Deon Thomas was at Ayo's official visit to Illinois. Kendall Gill and Steve Bardo and Deron Williams and Jerry Hester and a number of others all show up at the school from time to time.

You are basically counting all the ways Wake Forest is great without having any actual knowledge of what Illinois has going for it. You love your school. Great. At least be informed about your opponent before making a bunch of assumptions. The biggest thing in Manning's corner seems to be his own NBA experience. The edge in former NBA players is probably Wake's as well, but not nearly as great as you make it out to be.

#2,967      
Here's where you guys need to take two steps back and reevaluate. I'm not going to go all out "homer" and argue that Illinois holds more opportunity for him, but there's no way that WF has so much more opportunity (vs. "loyalty") that it is between those two factors, as you suggest.:illinois:

+1 Typical fan view of their program. Completely different from how a recruit may view it. Wake and their recruits have yet to prove they are as good as their fans think they are.

#2,968      
:thumb:

Tomorrow is date night with the GF - she's a mizzou grad. I told you that I really am surrounded by them. Might confuse her when I sneak out to the "bathroom" and come back to order a bottle of champagne

Better be careful. Bottle of champagne she might anticipate a certain question to follow :D

If we win this battle, celebrate later with a beverage of your choice.

#2,969      

sacraig

The desert
Why tf would a WFU beat writer travel up to Chicago for the announcement

Because their job is to cover Wake Forest basketball and if they knew they were about to get a 5* commit, it would be a story of interest to them. They probably wouldn't make the trip for grins.

#2,970      
We can simply agree to disagree on that I guess. Ayo wants to be a 1 or 2 and done. There aren't many schools that can boast as good a record of developing pros as Wake Forest the past decade or so.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter about the record of the school developing talent, but rather the staff/coach. I don't know who would have a better record of that between Underwood's staff and Manning's staff. I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the history of the school producing Chris Paul's or Deron Williams's (you forgot him in your count) but should be the current coach/staff that is important.

#2,971      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
We can simply agree to disagree on that I guess. Ayo wants to be a 1 or 2 and done. There aren't many schools that can boast as good a record of developing pros as Wake Forest the past decade or so.

Currently it is:

Chris Paul
Jeff Teague
Ish Smith
James Johnson
Al Farouq Aminu
John Collins

vs.

Myers Leonard

Additionally Manning is a 17 year NBA vet and was the #1 overall pick himself. Underwood is a good coach and has had a lot of success, and most likely is going to win a lot of games. If Ayo is looking at the NBA as his goal (which it clearly is), Wake Forest seems to have the upper hand.

How many GM's does Underwood have on speed dial? How many former players? How many mentors can Manning produce to help Ayo reach his NBA potential vs. how many can Underwood produce? IT doesn't mean that Manning is a better X's and O's coach, it just means that he was one of the greatest college players of all time, and had a long and succesfull NBA career that netted him a massive network of pros. Its a huge advantage in recruiting, and I think it is why Wake has seen some recruiting success even though the Win / Loss record doesn't match up quite yet. We really didn't deserve to sign Olivier Sarr, Chaundee Brown, Jaylen Hoard, or Isaiah Mucius, but we did mainly because of the pro experience of our staff in Manning and additionally with Chilldress.

Man, you're coming on here talking up your team and making comparisons on an Illini message board? Are you looking to start arguments?

#2,972      

Currently it is:

Chris Paul
Jeff Teague
Ish Smith
James Johnson
Al Farouq Aminu
John Collins

vs.

Myers Leonard

Additionally Manning is a 17 year NBA vet and was the #1 overall pick himself. Underwood is a good coach and has had a lot of success, and most likely is going to win a lot of games. If Ayo is looking at the NBA as his goal (which it clearly is), Wake Forest seems to have the upper hand.

How many GM's does Underwood have on speed dial? How many former players? How many mentors can Manning produce to help Ayo reach his NBA potential vs. how many can Underwood produce? IT doesn't mean that Manning is a better X's and O's coach, it just means that he was one of the greatest college players of all time, and had a long and succesfull NBA career that netted him a massive network of pros. Its a huge advantage in recruiting, and I think it is why Wake has seen some recruiting success even though the Win / Loss record doesn't match up quite yet. We really didn't deserve to sign Olivier Sarr, Chaundee Brown, Jaylen Hoard, or Isaiah Mucius, but we did mainly because of the pro experience of our staff in Manning and additionally with Chilldress.

Brandon Paul can be added to our list of pros.

#2,974      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Currently it is:

Chris Paul
Jeff Teague
Ish Smith
James Johnson
Al Farouq Aminu
John Collins

vs.

Myers Leonard

A. You have no idea what Ayo wants as far as 1,2,3,4 and done.

B. You list past players as if you are convinced their college career is an accurate means of predicting Ayo's future. What did WF accomplish while all of those 1 and done's were there?

C. If you are going back to 05' to list Paul, it's interesting you chose to leave out D. Will.

D. Maybe you haven't heard, but one of the most influential NBA GM/Owner's in it's entire history, is an Illini. He also runs USA Basketball.
I'll let you Google him.
You think maybe he knows some people? :illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.