Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacomallini

Washington State
I’m guessing an Ayo family member? I believe his mom was right behind the bench.

Another note, questioning a player’s ability to play on our team due to skills/measurables is well within the range of acceptable responses on a D1 basketball forum. The board doesn’t need a “filter” for posters saying a guy isnt good enough. Not talking about 8th grade ball here...

If you want to see a board that needs a filter the answer lies at tigerboard.com. 10x more toxic than this fine place.

I think you caught Loyalty on coffee pun day...that was the filter reference, iirc

2019, for all of us that are looking for a great class, we could do worse than the last "watch" kid on the Juco report...

Javon Franklin-6'7 and has some serious offers, Mizzou, Auburn, Arkansas, Memphis etc...

Just broke a bone in his leg...rehab 3 years left at next stop? Why not...Team Penny AAU player...

Deleted member 746094

D
2019, for all of us that are looking for a great class, we could do worse than the last "watch" kid on the Juco report...

Javon Franklin-6'7 and has some serious offers, Mizzou, Auburn, Arkansas, Memphis etc...

Just broke a bone in his leg...rehab 3 years left at next stop? Why not...Team Penny AAU player...

Could do a lot worse and I was excited until I put 2&2 together. I can’t imagine him going anywhere else other than Memphis if the offer is still on the table.

Has UI been linked to this guy? If not, I don’t understand posting his mixtape on this forum.

Has UI been linked to this guy? If not, I don’t understand posting his mixtape on this forum.

It is a recruiting thread, and he is a top rated Juco, whom the ILLINI have been reported as exploring Juco options, hence the post/thread/link...whether they are or not, who knows...they should be though if looking at Juco's.

I also posted Antwan January, at a time when the ILLINI were not linked...he now has an offer.

Could do a lot worse and I was excited until I put 2&2 together. I can’t imagine him going anywhere else other than Memphis if the offer is still on the table.

Agreed, however Penny has a 4* and a 3* along with his kid already in 2018...they also have 2 more commits already in the 6-7/8 range for 2019...soooo?

I know we are missing on everyone. I can't give up hope on Timme. He may be sold on Gonzaga today and why shouldn't he be? Seriously, nice fit on paper for the kid. But I think Giorgi is a poor man's Timme and if Timme comes he goes pro in 2 years where he goes to Gonzaga and either goes pro at same rate/maybe quicker or he starts slow and gets played over and never materializes. I think we are his safe option. He seems like a risk on dude but playing it safe to play in the NBA seems logical even if counter arguments exist for playing at Zaga vs ILL.

audie

The Great Northwest
"I think we are his safe option. He seems like a risk on dude but playing it safe to play in the NBA seems logical even if counter arguments exist for playing at Zaga vs ILL."

I agree wholeheartedly.

Deleted member 746094

D
Agreed, however Penny has a 4* and a 3* along with his kid already in 2018...they also have 2 more commits already in the 6-7/8 range for 2019...soooo?

Hey, I like it. Eventually we will land one of these kids. Just hate how hiring a guy like Penny automatically brings in top recruits. Just like we have seen by hiring Lovie...wait. Nevermind.

Good find. I hope we at least reach out to this guy as he is a freak.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
It is a recruiting thread, and he is a top rated Juco, whom the ILLINI have been reported as exploring Juco options, hence the post/thread/link...whether they are or not, who knows...they should be though if looking at Juco's.

I also posted Antwan January, at a time when the ILLINI were not linked...he now has an offer.
Insider!

I know we are missing on everyone. I can't give up hope on Timme. He may be sold on Gonzaga today and why shouldn't he be? Seriously, nice fit on paper for the kid. But I think Giorgi is a poor man's Timme and if Timme comes he goes pro in 2 years where he goes to Gonzaga and either goes pro at same rate/maybe quicker or he starts slow and gets played over and never materializes. I think we are his safe option. He seems like a risk on dude but playing it safe to play in the NBA seems logical even if counter arguments exist for playing at Zaga vs ILL.

I think Timme is good and an extreme opposite than most his size, I do not consider him a Pro after 2 years though...he strikes me as a 4 year player more so than the other. Just my opinion, but I think he is 4 years regardless and any less is do more to a weak class at size/skill set than anything other with him. Again, like his game, Pro, not so sure though.

This board debates the "Win and they will come" mantra.

Timme in this system is too great of a fit to turn away from. This is a scenario where if we won and went dancing 3 of the last 4 years, then Timme has a much better chance of coming here. If we were winning we could make a case, now winning won't help some of the Chicago folks but Chicago has a notorious basketball sandbox reputation.

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
This board debates the "Win and they will come" mantra.

Timme in this system is too great of a fit to turn away from. This is a scenario where if we won and went dancing 3 of the last 4 years, then Timme has a much better chance of coming here. If we were winning we could make a case, now winning won't help some of the Chicago folks but Chicago has a notorious basketball sandbox reputation.

Deja Vu.....all over again

Looking right now like Illinois does not have a single player they are recruiting who has them number one on their list. Lot going to have to change really quick if they are not going to finish with their poorest recruiting year in a long time. Lot of potential on the current roster but with transfers and other things that can happen hard to overcome a potential lost recruiting year. Need to hope they get some things done between now and spring or will have to look the 5th year transfer route again for help

Deleted member 643761

D
Guess I am a lot less worried about recruiting as we only lose two players and have another year of experience for the rest. With that in mind you swing for the fences in your recruiting. Still impressed by having four five star bigs in the mix (even if we don't land one) when that is our greatest need. If you are going to be a tournament team you must recruit over your existing players not under. Besides I don't think it is written in stone that there are no suitable recruits in the spring. This might be particularly true if the present team is successful this year. Do not think you can underestimate winning, that's how the blue bloods became blue bloods.

Earlier I had asked just how many project bigs do you want on the roster? I think you're right here. We probably have enough projects and if we decide we want another, we can probably get that with a spring signing. So yes, swing for the fences. It sucks that we're not landing guys yet although I'm holding out hope on Timme.

I feel like some people would be happy if we had two more projects inked right now, but I wouldn't be.

Let's hope for a good season. If we actually get into the tourney, I'd like our chances of getting a late blooming top 100 big. otherwise, we're likely looking at more projects.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Speaking of Timme, full A&M staff was into see him on Saturday.

The Timme family asked me to sit in on the TaM meeting and this what I told them....

tumblr_m4a45nXzq71qii70fo3_250.gif

I follow both the the Illini and the Redbirds and Paris Lee was a good enough talent to play for the Illini. Redbirds currently have 3 or 4 players that would possibly get considerable playing time. Yarborough, Fayne, Evans and perhaps Copeland. Yarborough and Fayne could challenge to start in the front court. With the Illini's obvious upgrade in the back court, Evans and Copeland would definately be in a reserve role.

Status
Not open for further replies.