Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I believe it's signing day and Curbelo is signing at Noon. I assume Hawkins will become official too.
Yes but small correction, Curbelo signing will be 11 CST. And Hawkins plans to host a signing ceremony for Illinois on Saturday afternoon at a restaurant (TBA) in Champaign, his coach told Illini Inquirer, but he may sign before that. That, according to Jeremy Werner

Early Signing Period FAQ: What to expect with Illini hoops

jmilt7

Waukegan
Here's a scenario: You have a a few job offers on the table and told the employers you were going to make a decision in 2 weeks, a non-binding one at that. All of a sudden, a place that you had always wanted to work at and has been doing really well recently came in with the same offer as a place that you maybe weren't quite as excited about and visibly hasn't been doing as well lately. Would you completely pass on the new offer just because you'd already interviewed at the other places and they only knew about competing with the two other companies for your services? Or would you kick the tires on the new offer and check things out before making an informed decision?

I would if I was only being hired because the guy they first wanted to hire (Burnett) went elsewhere. My ego couldn't handle it.

Just kidding. I agree.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I guess there is some bizzaro world situation where Ayo has an amazing season taking us to the sweet 16 and then announces he's coming back for more "unfinished business" but that isn't happening.

That's not bizarro world, that's life-is-awesome-world

So did Curbelo sign today?
It seems Curbelo is the type of player that is missing from this year's team. A penetrating point who can penetrate and break down opposing defense.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Welcome, Andre, to the Illinois Basketball family, of which you are now officially a member. :illinois:llini Nation is really excited to see you in the Orange and Blue, leading your team back to sustained prominence. #IlliniForLife
:chief::hailtotheorange::chief:

These high drama and fickle feeling recruitments rarely end well. People keep belaboring the point that it makes sense for him to wait to sign in the Spring and see what decision AYO makes. But I think it's an ignorant and irrelevant point IMO (unless he chooses ASU). Here's why, Arizona has clearly more talented guards and will likely bring in other talented guards he would have to compete with (same with Louisville, Kansas, Michigan, etc...) No matter where Miller chooses he's going to face competition at the guard spot, save for ASU or a handful of other schools. Miller also seems interested in going to bigger named schools if they offer (Duke, Michigan, UNC and so on). He's guaranteed to face stiffer competition at these schools. What's my point? Miller is essentially saying a few things about Illinois: 1) He's only willing to come if all of the perfect pieces fall together. 2) He would go to a bigger name school even if there is more competition 3) If he really loved Illinois and wanted to come here, he would commit and sign in a week regardless of what Ayo does.
4) Him visiting Michigan is a perfect illustration that he isn't sold on us and was still waiting for other major schools to offer.

Obviously you still recruit the heck out of him but this really hurts our staff for a few reasons. The biggest problem is they have to continue to divert energy, money, and attention to Miller and the opportunity cost of this is all of those resources are taken away from 2021 kids. Additionally, they now have to start recruiting other guards in 2020 in case Miller goes a different different direction (again similar opportunity costs). Essentially, this really sucks.

Regarding No. 2, then why did he cut blue blood Kansas out of his recruitment?

Maybe, but don't you think it is just as important to show that our system can gets guys to the league? I personally think it is more detrimental to the program to have a guy that was borderline 1st round pick as a freshman, but has digressed to point of staying in school for a 3rd year. Just my opinion......

The failure in your logic is the statement that if you stays he's digressed. Every year is different. He could make marked improvements in his game and stay because this year's talent pool, or at least the PG talent pool, is deeper than it was last year or is likely to be next year.

I think this has been said before, but it bears repeating. These are 18 year old kids who are trying (along with family and friends) to decide what's best for them and their future.

Here's a scenario: You have a a few job offers on the table and told the employers you were going to make a decision in 2 weeks, a non-binding one at that. All of a sudden, a place that you had always wanted to work at and has been doing really well recently came in with the same offer as a place that you maybe weren't quite as excited about and visibly hasn't been doing as well lately. Would you completely pass on the new offer just because you'd already interviewed at the other places and they only knew about competing with the two other companies for your services? Or would you kick the tires on the new offer and check things out before making an informed decision?

I love UI and want them to land Miller, but I think it's childish to have these reactions (like "I'm done with this recruitment" - I'm sure he cares, maybe following recruitments aren't for you) to an 18 year old's decision when he's just trying to do what's best for him (bag men accusations aside).

Except you fail to mention that the company that has been doing well recently just lost their CEO, who was a HUGE reason for their recent success, and the new guy that they hired as zero management experience. Oh and that place that's been doing well lately also didn't want you before, they wanted another highly rated guy in your market, but he turned them down. So your (Miller's) hope is that even though they didn't want you before, they'll now put you in the spotlight? I guess, go kick the tires but it's hard to see the logic in signing with the Johnny Come Lately suitor because they'll all of a sudden feature you.

Most of my work revolves around bankers, lawyers, and real estate developers, and I can tell you that a suit and tie is an absolute guarantee of high character.

Either way, very glad to see this young man on board.
A suit and tie guarantees high character? Lol that might be the most incorrect thing I have read on this board...and that’s saying something.

A suit and tie guarantees high character? Lol that might be the most incorrect thing I have read on this board...and that’s saying something.
3B1E6EC7-791B-4F42-81B0-F4E501C1FF95.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.