Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. We're a top 10 team and we can't get players versus teams like DePaul, Creighton, and ASU? Especially with the recruiters we have?
To be fair, we're stacked. Harder to sell guys on being "the guy" when you're loaded. Now it's on us to put a quality product on the court that inspires guys to take a chance.

Look, we will have a awesome season and we can take advantage of the transfer portal and attack the 22 kids.

As a 29 year old, who can still feel those stings from games we lost when I was a 20 plus years ago. I still will go outside no matter the cold during Halftime and shoot the rock to let out some stress lol. (I think we can all relate to that) Being an Illinois fan isnt easy. Yet that makes it for me special. You’d have to be locked up in a asylum to choose to be an Illinois fan. What connect’s all of us Beloved to this great University. Is if you have that Orange and Blue runnnig through your veins, well that’s for life. We take punches but we get up. That’s our DNA. We lose TyTy, well we get up off the canvas and get on our feet and keep our eye on the prize.

I don't get it. We're a top 10 team and we can't get players versus teams like DePaul, Creighton, and ASU? Especially with the recruiters we have?
We haven’t proved it yet. I love being back in the top ten and ESPN calling us a Blue Blood. This year is crucial. Have our system down to a T. Got the veteran leadership with a mix of the next Youngblood to take the mantle when Ayo gets everything he deserves and worked for after this year being a top 20 pick. Passing ofthe mantle, in my humble opinion haunted us for the last 15 years.

Look, we will have a awesome season and we can take advantage of the transfer portal and attack the 22 kids.
We have to at least get a big in 21'. I am not confident in Hamlin and Lieb holding down the low post when Kofi leaves after this year. Not to be a debbie downer either but I don't feel like we will get mac either. I don't care what what people say about us being in good shape with him.

1. Maybe I’m just a grumpy old man, but I’m not upset if we don’t get a 67th-ranked kid who just started a handshake line brawl.
2. If he fancies himself a PG, I certainly can understand why he wouldn’t commit to UI, when Curbelo seems like a long-term fixture for ball handling duties.

if this class gets a shooter (done), a hustle IQ guy like DMW, and a true center, I’ll be happy. Then get two burger boys based on our success this year in the next class to backfill Miller. It all makes sense in my head at least.

Let’s not go all
smash parks and recreation GIF

We have to at least get a big in 21'. I am not confident in Hamlin and Lieb holding down the low post when Kofi leaves after this year. Not to be a debbie downer either but I don't feel like we will get mac either. I don't care what what people say about us being in good shape with him.
That's because it is always easier to prepare for the worst than to expect the best.

We are where we want to be but the key to staying there is building through good to great back to back recruiting classes consistently. Imo getting at least two good to elite players per class is a must to keep a program thriving. Most of the top players have committed with a few still there, I know! I believe in our coaches but I am not also not nieve or about us having to fill a spot (matic vessel) or find a gem like Giorgi. Wish it were a little bit easier but I'm sure the coaches do as well.

Last edited:

altenberger22

South Carolina
We had better beat Michigan this year. Looks like they have multiple 5-stars for 2021, a class of 5-6 recruits and the #1 class in the nation.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Rivals is split 50/50 and 2 of the 3 recent picks were for Illinois. Will you guys relax?! He came to visit us at the last minute on his own dime. I would say things look good.
Brad Sturdy made the last of those three predictions at 6:56pm tonight -- for Creighton. Damn.

Rivals hence sits at 2-2 between Illinois/Creighton.

altenberger22

South Carolina
If we can't sustain our current talent level beyond 20-21, the Spartans and Wolverines are going to be battling it out for Top Dog over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.