Pregame: Illinois vs Kent State, Saturday, September 1st, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Stay healthy. Finish this thing quick (1st half). Play the 2s and 3s quite a bit. And say healthy, dammit!

Illini 47, Kent State 10

In Robert's latest article he brings up a good point about the new redshirt rule. You can qualify as a redshirt as long as you appear in 4 games or less.

AJ Bush sounds like far and away the best QB right now. But if he is turnover prone or even he plays alright but isn't good enough to overcome other deficiencies then why not get the other QBs in 4 games and still be able to redshirt each of them?

I would also hope Lovie uses this strategy if Bush gets injured. It sounds like the backups each have their strengths and weaknesses. So spread out the game time for each guy and keep it under 5 games so you don't burn up a season for any of them.

The fans love to talk about the redshirt thing but, in reality, it seems like it just never works outside of offensive or defensive linemen.
You are usually giving that extra year of eligibility to another program after they transfer out.

I can't recall any situation in college football recently where a 5th year for a non-transfer QB had real importance.
C.J. Beathard?

In modern day college football, if a guy can help you, you play him and you burn the year without giving it a second thought.
5 years is a lifetime in college football and I doubt any of these coaches anticipate being here in 5 years anyway.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Comcast customers, the BTN issue apparently has been settled but still couldn't hurt to check the btn gamefinder as this is an overflow game with rutgers-texas st. There have been times when all overflows aren't available in some markets, in that case you'd have to watch online on btn2go.

http://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

Illinisteve25

Champaign
The fans love to talk about the redshirt thing but, in reality, it seems like it just never works outside of offensive or defensive linemen.
You are usually giving that extra year of eligibility to another program after they transfer out.

I can't recall any situation in college football recently where a 5th year for a non-transfer QB had real importance.
C.J. Beathard?

In modern day college football, if a guy can help you, you play him and you burn the year without giving it a second thought.
5 years is a lifetime in college football and I doubt any of these coaches anticipate being here in 5 years anyway.

This comment makes way too much sense to be on this board.....

C.J. Beathard?

Hardy Nickerson was a decent 5th year grad transfer.

C.J. Beathard?

Dak Prescott has proven to be a very nice QB who was a 5th year non-transfer QB for Miss State before turning pro.

Other recent 5th year non-transfer QB's who went on to the NFL include Braxton Miller (as a WR --- although word is that the Texans just cut him), Connor Cook (Raiders) and Trevone Boykin (although he has proven to be a huge POS as a person).

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Comcast customers, the BTN issue apparently has been settled but still couldn't hurt to check the btn gamefinder as this is an overflow game with rutgers-texas st. There have been times when all overflows aren't available in some markets, in that case you'd have to watch online on btn2go.

http://btn.com/btn-gamefinder/

Yep I get it in Houston. Per the guide, our game is the main game on (we don’t get overflows here in Texas).

Deleted member 16340

D

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Chief made it on College Gameday.

Attachments

• 7AB2728F-BE81-48EC-BA4A-9DEA66FF969A.jpeg
    7AB2728F-BE81-48EC-BA4A-9DEA66FF969A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 376
Status
Not open for further replies.