Iowa 96, Illinois 87 POSTGAME

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Iowa makes 34 points off of free throws, Illinois makes 9. Are we really that bad vis a vis Iowa in fouls? Major suckitude there somehow.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
It was only two plays but 2 offensive rebounds for Iowa on missed FTs was killer. That just can't happen

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
This was just euthanasia to this season. A merciful end. #wewillwince

Can someone explain that inbounds play Iowa did when the score was 87 92? Guy gets ball from ref, another guy runs along baseline (out of bounds) and first guys "passes" ball to second guy. Second guy inbounds it back to first who has run in bounds. Didnt know you could do that but I guess it makes sense.

Totally a legal play after a made basket or free throw.

There is not a single guy on the roster I want to see transfer out, not one. I really believe they have played as hard as they can and I respect that.

However, whoever it is (Piper seems to already know), I wish them nothing but the best and hope they find a place where they can succeed. Unfortunately, this roster just isn't BIG talent ready.

Who we CANNOT lose, Trent, Leron and Kipper.

Nichols shot 86.2% FT's for season. 4th (tied) best FT% in school history. Best season FT% was Brian Cook @ 87.3% in 2002.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
How many TFL's did Garza have? Gotta be honest, it was a great play when he blew up Tejon in the backfield.

Lots to hate about this game but Garza was good. We need to find a guy like that.

Garza is a horse. He works his tail off. Of course, it helps when you can climb all over the opposing teams back & not get called for foul. Love to have a player like him.

Deleted member 9739

D
Horrible ending to a horrible season.

No height, so we lose the rebounding battle 40-20. No desire to drive to the basket (and make them foul you) and too slow to guard people (resulting in a lot of dumb reach-in fouls), so we lose the free throw points scored battle 34-9.

The good news is that this frustrating season is over. The bad news is that unless we round up some talented bigs and improve our quickness and defensive smarts, next year will be more of the same.

Thank goodness we have football to look forward to. :(

Play of the game was when we were down 5 and Tejon was clearly fouled going for an offensive rebound. It wasn't called, Tejon is stuck on the floor and Bohannan hits the open 3.

Oh well. Regardless of what you think of BU or this season, the floor is now set. It should never get worse than this.

Garza is a horse. He works his tail off. Of course, it helps when you can climb all over the opposing teams back & not get called for foul. Love to have a player like him.

I agree, but if he was playing for the Illini tonight he would have fouled out.

Horrible ending to a horrible season.

No height, so we lose the rebounding battle 40-20. No desire to drive to the basket (and make them foul you) and too slow to guard people (resulting in a lot of dumb reach-in fouls), so we lose the free throw points scored battle 34-9.

The good news is that this frustrating season is over. The bad news is that unless we round up some talented bigs and improve our quickness and defensive smarts, next year will be more of the same.

Thank goodness we have football to look forward to. :(

Luckily this isn't true. A year's experience would be very valuable to this team and even if we added nobody we would be better.

Enjoyed watching this team play and grow. What the future holds will be determined by BU's ability to sign an Illinois Mr. Basketball that is 6'11"+ and not 6'3". It will take just that to compete for a B1G title. Regardless of winning, I think we all would just like to be in the conversation.

That said, it appears to me that Iowa has a bright future with a team that has size, skills, and can shoot the lights out. Garza was trashed by many earlier in the year but the kid grew immensely and was a big contributor tonight. Illini cannot stop any player over 6'7" who goes to the rim aggressively and can finish....every team has done so this year.

Tonight appeared to me that the team, though willing and making a mental effort, just did not have the physical energy to go 40 minutes of high intensity at both ends. It has been a long season with many disappointments but the style of play and team effort has been encouraging. Hopefully, they will be better next year, but B1G champs is not in any future I see. But then, my sight means nothing.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Luckily this isn't true. A year's experience would be very valuable to this team and even if we added nobody we would be better.

Exactly. And we trade Ayo for Alstork. Gonna be a lot different look next year. A B1G ready Big will go a long way to getting to the upper level though.

If Underwood can teach basketball IQ that would awesome..... seriously though, these players need to really study film and learn how to play a full 40. More talent will help, but need that IQ to go with that talent. Hopefully a bubble team at least next year.

Deleted member 4960

D
You can't win these games when they call every nitpick foul against us but nothing on them in the 2nd half. That and their offensive rebounding killed us. I hope he can somehow coach them not to foul next year because it didn't change over the course of the season this year.

Illinois basketball ...won't be playing in March.....let that sink in

I said the exact same thing to my wife an hour ago. Illinois will not be playing in March. She responded with "You should be used to this by now"

Not much I could say other than Brighter Days are ahead for this young team and next year we will have the best back court in America.

Agree completely. We will add players. Who and how many remain to be seen but there will be an upgrade in talent. I believe that. And the current roster will be better for their experience with BUs system and individual growth. This is our bottom. And we were all here for it. We can toss the newbies off and he bandwagon in a couple years when we're complaining about how hard it is to find tickets. šŸ˜

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Not surprised here. Let the transfer and recruiting speculations run wild !