Mark Smith transferring from Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Underwood's coaching style had something to do with it, but think for his system to be successful, you need a point guard and four athletic guys 6'6" or taller preferably able to rebound, shoot and defend. When you don't have those long athletic wings, it's not going to run optimally. Not saying that you can't win some games with different personnel, but if you want to be dominant, that's what you need.

It just amazes me... He came in and had a difficult time adjusting to college basketball, so instead of thinking he's going to fight through it, learn from it, and get better, he just decided to opt out and transfer? sad..

To say I am disappointed in Mark Smith's decision to transfer is a massive understatement.

No need to lament on why or what could have been. It won't change a thing.

I wish the Smith Family all the best going forward.

spike49

New Mexico
I'm sure Underwood's coaching style had something to do with it, but think for his system to be successful, you need a point guard and four athletic guys 6'6" or taller preferably able to rebound, shoot and defend. When you don't have those long athletic wings, it's not going to run optimally. Not saying that you can't win some games with different personnel, but if you want to be dominant, that's what you need.

Agreed
To further clarify my point, don’t confound style and substance. I love BU’s approach to both offense and defense, assuming the BIG referees cut us some slack on the defensive end. The issue I have is that if and when BU gets those long athletic wings, will he dial down the volume to maybe 8.5?

illini80

Forgottonia
IMO Smith has not yet learned to use his size and strength to his advantage. I thought the off season could be a huge time of development to expand his understanding of the game and not expect to drive on 6' 10" athletic bigs without getting stuffed. Trent has already learned much of that. Mark has not. And his handles are not even close to playing in this league. Another thing that could be fixed.

My biggest disappointment is that he was not willing to stay and learn. If he ever had aspirations of playing for a living, this seems like a mistake to me. Good Luck to him. I hope he finds a place to grow into the player we thought he could be.

I watched every game this year and did not bear witness to all this berating occurring on the sidelines. I saw him trying to fire up the team and have them play with more emotion, which is required to perform your best in a sport, and completely different than managing Peter in the cubicle to get his TPS reports done.

Be sure to watch to the end.

http://proxy.espn.com/video/clip?id=22519646

I've got ZERO problem with that display. You need intensity to play at this level and our players don't always show that. You know who does? Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan. They're still playing, we're not.

Couldn't Illinois have offered MS a baseball scholarship? Or is his arm shot? I'm serious.

At best he would have gotten only a partial scholarship for baseball. Baseball only gets 11.7 scholarships and we currently have 32 players on our roster.

Seems like a fairly drastic decision when you consider it will be 18 MONTHS before he will play again at the Division I level. If you are not happy about your situation you can dig in and try to improve it. However, changing schools will insert an 18 month void in his career. I find it hard to believe that he does not have some plan already lined up or in mind. To just bail and say I will see what happens either means you have a plan OR you were really unhappy with your current situation.
I see your point...but on flip side taking a year off will allow him to learn/integrate into a new system and enhance his physical tools to compete at a higher level.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I remember when Lon Kruger went off on one of his Illinois teams. I don’t remember what the issue was, but he sure let them have it. I think it may have had to do with boxing out. He was livid. Sometimes teams need that kick in the butt.

There are levels between 'sunshine and rainbows' and 'sideline ranting'. All coaches get angry on the sideline but most have more than one modus operandi.

There are levels, and many of the posters on this board were complaining of the previous 2 coaches and their lack of intensity. You cannot have it both ways.

While we're at it lets give everyone a player of the year trophy. Maybe feelings won't get hurt then.

We've reached the point where the problem is Underwood's personality. That didn't take long.:doh:

Haha...that was quick, What it was about 4 or 5 years for Weber and about 3 for Groce.

Rad

Nashville, TN
Ok, my last comment on this subject. Understand others being ok with the fiery demeanor. I too think it is good to have the emotion and continue to fight and to display that to your team and to express displeasure with the effort or execution. However, I do think it can be counterproductive to expect something more or unreasonable than is warranted. What I really took exception to was BU constantly throwing his hands up, turning away in disgust and often vocalizing to the bench or people at the press table his disbelief and dissatisfaction. This is not coaching or battling but more like the opposite. I don't think he is used to failure and did not handle it well. Still believe we can learn from this season and get much better in the not too distant future.

Mark Smith went from being recruited by lower division/lesser competitive mid-majors to being recruited by P5 and blue bloods. Where does the truth lie, I say somewhere in the middle. I think he can go to Missouri Valley school (SIU, ISU, Bradley) and be one of their better players on a team that can win the conference.

I think if he would of stuck it out at Illinois he would be a productive/improved player. I just don't know the ceiling on him. So great kid, hate to lose our Illini ties to him. But he knows the answer to the question more than anybody else. He decided that he wasn't a good fit for the team. I wish him luck and will be a MSmith fan where ever he goes (except Mizzou).

My first concern regarding Mark was his final game against Simeon. Simeon guards exposed him with their quickness and speed. Non of them are P5 recruits, more like Chicago St recruits.

I don't think many on here have played organized ball. Love our coach and his excitement. Maybe some fans on here should transfer.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I don't think many on here have played organized ball. Love our coach and his excitement. Maybe some fans on here should transfer.

Or find a safe space.

Deleted member 10500

D
I may be in the minority but I think Mark Smith is going to be an incredible player by the time he graduates. I get that he doesn't feel that he fits. But I hate to see him go. The early season Underwood comments were based on talent that he saw in practice. My guess is that it's just as he said - he did not feel he fit.

We've reached the point where the problem is Underwood's personality. That didn't take long.:doh:

GMAFB....you've probably never coached a minute in your life....did you play sports????.....if you have....you would know better:tsk::tsk:

topaz

NYC ILLINI
I've got ZERO problem with that display. You need intensity to play at this level and our players don't always show that. You know who does? Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan. They're still playing, we're not.

Correct.....we got the right coach. As for Smith..good luck....seemed too slow and I expected a lot more from a Mr. Basketball...just never seemed to be any dominance there. Frazier has a certain " aura".....Smith...well..good luck.

I may be in the minority but I think Mark Smith is going to be an incredible player by the time he graduates. I get that he doesn't feel that he fits. But I hate to see him go. The early season Underwood comments were based on talent that he saw in practice. My guess is that it's just as he said - he did not feel he fit.

Yeah, the potential is there. He put up 20 against DePaul early in the season, but somewhere along the way his confidence and swagger disappeared. He has the potential to be a 15-17 PPG player, but has to get that confidence back.

Status
Not open for further replies.