Minnesota 40, Illinois 17 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin
[youtube]v7CEd_5oeSE[/youtube]

:illinois:

Last edited:

ATL Chief

Jacksonville
Our receivers/OL didn't do JG any favors. Props to him for hanging in there.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
In retrospect I guess Cubit and his staff deserve more credit for going 5-7 with this group.

AeroEng88

Detroit, MI
Patience is the key to the future. Hope Lovie and staff will stick with it to see better days.

I find it numbing that of all the WR/TE brought here the last few years only 2 of them can make a difference on the field. Not saying they're not talented but just not up to this level. Patience and recruiting are the keys to the future. Hoping we have enough of both.

Good to see young talent on defense. But still going to have to to greatly improve our recruiting efforts in the next couple of years. Not enough impact players on both sides of the ball, especially offense. Can fill holes with JC and Grad transfers, but ultimately have to build the program from the bottom up. Need to get the 4-5 star players.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
On Lovie and staff staying: I think they are in it for the long haul and no that our Administration is behind him. The AD is not as short sighted as fans and knows what it will take to become relevant. During the interview with Dick Butkus in the 1st Half, Dick said that Lovie was going to do great things and was going to be bringing in guys to "turn this thing around" or "get us where we want to be". Either he meant coaches or recruits. But either way, Lovie seems to be in it to win it and will make it happen.

In regards to Jr getting pounded today: The entire offense line/TEs/RBs need to chip in on a full body massage for their QB because they could not keep him from getting beaten and bruised yet Jr kept getting back up.

These are the dark days, but the outlines of where we're going are there.

Guys who will be here in two years are playing all over the field. There are a couple potential studs, Milan, Allegretti, Harding spring to mind, but more importantly is that with experience and good coaching we should turn a group of those guys into average Big Ten players who can fulfill their assignments, and then supplement that with a few stud recruits.

Paul Williams, Tim McGarigle and Bob Ligashesky should be gone, and we have the money to fill those spots with fire-breathing recruiters who will hit the ground running between Late November and Signing Day.

No need to be glum. The work is right there in front of us. Get out there and do it.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
On Lovie and staff staying: I think they are in it for the long haul and no that our Administration is behind him. The AD is not as short sighted as fans and knows what it will take to become relevant. During the interview with Dick Butkus in the 1st Half, Dick said that Lovie was going to do great things and was going to be bringing in guys to "turn this thing around" or "get us where we want to be". Either he meant coaches or recruits. But either way, Lovie seems to be in it to win it and will make it happen.

In regards to Jr getting pounded today: The entire offense line/TEs/RBs need to chip in on a full body massage for their QB because they could not keep him from getting beaten and bruised yet Jr kept getting back up.

I wasn't buying on JG up until today, but my mind is changing. He's a competitor and has some talents. Keep giving him snaps and he's a serviceable QB, and could be a stud in the right system with a proper line in front of him.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]kbsGHNz2GaQ[/YOUTUBE]
[youtube]v7CEd_5oeSE[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]7FhiHExPZ9w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]8w4kPGFrqCI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]sIKcEeyqSgM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]P_r8vJToASk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]lO6SR8mnEzI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I wasn't buying on JG up until today, but my mind is changing. He's a competitor and has some talents. Keep giving him snaps and he's a serviceable QB, and could be a stud in the right system with a proper line in front of him.

I like Jr, but I'm not so sure McGee's system is right for him. He is definitely serviceable in it, though, and it can run through him. As he gets better, he may adapt his style to that system. (Namely, running it here and there)

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Guys who will be here in two years are playing all over the field. There are a couple potential studs, Milan, Allegretti, Harding spring to mind, but more importantly is that with experience and good coaching we should turn a group of those guys into average Big Ten players who can fulfill their assignments, and then supplement that with a few stud recruits.

Paul Williams, Tim McGarigle and Bob Ligashesky should be gone, and we have the money to fill those spots with fire-breathing recruiters who will hit the ground running between Late November and Signing Day.

No need to be glum. The work is right there in front of us. Get out there and do it.

He is our ST coach right?? What the crap is he doing letting Mosely go back any further than the 10 yard line. He should plant his heals at the 10 and if he has to take one step backwards to catch a punt, he lets it go. Also, why is he trying to catch a punt off the bounce. If the time differential between catching a punt and calling a fair catch is already razor thin, how much more time does letting the ball bounce once give to the kicking team to come down and cause issues?

Both of those things are coaching issues. We need a recruiter in that spot who also happens to be able to coach special teams.

BillyBob1

Champaign
At the game. When 8 hit Turner and saw he was hurt, he started celebrating. He got tossed and went over to the sideline and started high fiving his teammates on the bench. What a tool. There coaches should be proud.

Deleted member 4960

D
I don't understand why both of our Lines are not very good. Oline has 3 seniors? And a 4 star lineman and can't pass protect or open up holes for the run. Dline gets sucked into delays and counters constantly With 3 potential nfl players? I don't know if it's a new coaching staff and system so they are slow to figure it out or if we are just bad?

Also don't understand why our 4 star running back can't hit holes or why any of them can't stay on there feet after someone hits them with a 1 armed tackle at there feet?

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand why both of our Lines are not very good. Oline has 3 seniors? And a 4 star lineman and can't pass protect or open up holes for the run. Dline gets sucked into delays and counters constantly With 3 potential nfl players? I don't know if it's a new coaching staff and system so they are slow to figure it out or if we are just bad?

Also don't understand why our 4 star running back can't hit holes or why any of them can't stay on there feet after someone hits them with a 1 armed tackle at there feet?
Because Illinois.

40-17. 23 of the points Minny scored were handed to them by us.

We ran the ball well sporadically, had trouble throwing it once Turner got hurt.

JGJR was okay, not great or good, but did as well as could be expected with as little help as he got.

On a better note what a gorgeous day for a game. This was my first look at the Grove, and I really was impressed. That's going to help us going forward.

We're Illinois fans. We're well aware of what "dark days" look like. ;)

I hope you're right, and hope that this staff can develop these guys into a solid team, but it's pretty tough to look at the rest of this season and 2017 and not see much to look forward to in the win column.

the national

the Front Range
At the game. When 8 hit Turner and saw he was hurt, he started celebrating. He got tossed and went over to the sideline and started high fiving his teammates on the bench. What a tool. There coaches should be proud.

That really bothered me. Minnesota has been hit with a ton of targeting penalties this year. They are quickly becoming one of my most disliked teams. That was a cheap shot on turner and he didn't look at all concerned. Classless.

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I find it numbing that of all the WR/TE brought here the last few years only 2 of them can make a difference on the field. Not saying they're not talented but just not up to this level. Patience and recruiting are the keys to the future. Hoping we have enough of both.

We're 8 games into the season and we only have 1 guy on the roster that can run a pass route? At some point, this falls on Lovie and staff. It seems to me almost any of our receivers could learn to run decent routes and at least be open with a little bit of coaching and a lot of practice. Do we even have a receivers coach?

We're 8 games into the season and we only have 1 guy on the roster that can run a pass route? At some point, this falls on Lovie and staff. It seems to me almost any of our receivers could learn to run decent routes and at least be open with a little bit of coaching and a lot of practice. Do we even have a receivers coach?

Agreed. At some point it does... about 2-3 years from now.

icengineer

Southern Illinois

I'm sure there are a few guys on the team who can simply run routes. But there are apparently none of them that can run these routes faster then the guys who would be covering them.